Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

I've been passing it on a regular basis for months, and what shocks me the most is who didn't see this coming.

Is it senior civil servants within IPAS? Is it politicians? Or perhaps it's both.

At first, it was tents to the side of the IPO office and the back. Then they spread to the front of the IPO office. Then they spread along the street but stayed on the IPO side. Then they popped up on Grattan street, then they doubled up on Grattan street. Now they're on both sides of the road on Mount Street.

I'm not some heartless bstrd either, I don't blame the people with the tents. But who decided on a policy to continue allowing entrants, to continue making appointments for an increasing volume of people, knowing there was absolutely nowhere to put them?

Who saw the first few tents, and ploughed on with the policy as normal?

Now, we're at a point where the State on one hand-or a group of people employed by the State- have/has allowed this to happen and now, State departments need to solve the issue that was was created by State officials/politicians in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,282 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

This is so infuriating, we have nothing absolutely nothing to stop this

This is from Sky News segment on Asylum seekers coming from the UK via NI

https://streamable.com/2tbm3j

How the hell can we stop this? Even if we deny them asylum how the hell do we kick them out of the country!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭prunudo

from seperate parties too. Do I smell the lead up to a GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Glenomra

It is truly fascinating. The government themselves created this controversy about migrants using the North to reach the Republic. Nobody else, not the right wingers, not the liberals! They went and 'shot themselves in the foot'. Then Minister MacEntee demanded a meeting with the relevant British minister to solve their problem, a meeting which the Brits quite rightly and cleverly refused her\us creating even more controversy and embarrassment for Irish government . Now our Tanaiste questions whether there is indeed an influx of migrants avoiding a threatened Rwandan exile. Nobody, knows what to do, most of all the proponents of a liberal migrant policy. All day on other fora, those defenders of such a policy have gone very very quiet and I don't blame them. How does the government extricate themselves from this mess. That is the question that fascinates me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

Can we stop payments to them, and decide not to house them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Can we give them Irish passports on condition that they go back to the UK or elsewhere in Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Of course not. As soon as you have an Irish passport you have the same rights as you or me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The IPAS offices might need to move out of the city soon. Are the tents there because the offices are there, or do the migrants just want to be in the city anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

The tents should be moved not the workers. I would say the same of any homeless camp I wouldn't be happy walking past that on the way to work. Tents right outside your window.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Sure we'll give them a house while we're at it.

Nvm people that are contributing to our country for years and struggling to achieve that.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

There's a nice park up the road from the IPO, (Merrion Square) they'll soon be pitching their tents there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Longing

Back in the day talking 80's and 90's here this controversy would have collapsed the Government and election called. Just shows they all sleep in the same bed that's including other party's. These people elected have no back bone. The only people who have it are the ordinary folks peacefully demonstration in our towns and villages.

I was wondering why they haven't done that already. Maybe the denizens of Merrion Square have more clout than the residents and businesses in Mount Street. Or maybe just being pitched outside the offices is more beneficial to their cause for accommodation and processing.

That's the reason I wondered if the IPAS would/should move elsewhere. Where I don't know, but out of the city centre anyway, maybe to one of the office blocks in an industrial estate on the fringes of the city or something. But that would probably be looked on as discriminatory to the businesses there and residents nearby.

Few solutions really.

Phoenix Park in beside the bould Michael. He's always carrying on like he is holier than thou. Lets stick a shanty town in beside him and let him walk the one Bernaise mountain dog he has left through the favela every night.

Seen the Red Hot Chill Peppers play to 60 odd thousand there back in the day. Plenty of room for them.

And if they behave like animals……the zoo is a stones throw away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

They won't move and if the authorities attempt to move them you'll have the NGO's out clinging to the tents for dear life..

The whole idea of the migrants being camped there is as a protest so they'll get attention first from IPAS, i.e. own door accommodation, payments, medical cards etc. and status to bring family members over too..

I thought as much.

The battle is really between the citizen and the unelected NGOs now isn't it? You know, those who pontificate but who are neither affected by, or live anywhere near any of this I suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭highpitcheric

We may not be getting replaced, but our already scarce resouces are being spread thinner and thinner.

This country cant process sudden increases in population, regardless of who it is and whether we want them or not.

Recipe for chaos.

…………

• Registered Users Posts: 23,709 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Pass the sick bag. What are we like giving the Tories a victory just before an election. They are milking it for all its worth because they've nothing else.

Could we not have even waited until after their elections?

We've "rang the dinner bell for the world's asylum seekers" - hard to argue about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭TokTik

it’s all part of the U.K. so why would they need ID? They wouldn’t need one to go to Scotland or Wales

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

Only NGO that comes to my mind is the one Nick Henderson who doesn't seem to realise there is a housing crisis going on in the country where 1000's of Irish citizens cant buy or even rent without having any sort off life. Who are paying tax and keeping the country going, like their parents before them. No, Nick just thinks we should prioritise these men with 'homes'. Regardless if we didn't have a housing crisis, the first priority of any country is to its citizens. Nick needs to realise this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Same thing will happen if the authorities try and send the immigrants back over the border to Belfast, blockades by NGO's and their supporters/the far left to prevent the vans from leaving…

Not that it will do anything to stop illegal migrants coming over the open border.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

The "look everybody the number of Migrants crossing is down thanks to MYYY Rwanda plan!" out of the Tory toe rags will be in full force in the coming weeks.

The UK better not fall for Rishi and his shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭highpitcheric

It can be stopped by getting the EU to go after those involved.

Pressure on Rwanda.

Pressure on the ferry companies.* (This can be done by both govt, and you, the public).

Pressure on the 'Rwanda plan' legislation.

Pressure on the UK.

or failing all that, by making ourselves equally difficult for UKs asylum seekers. So they gain nothing by coming here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Fotish

The main problem is that politicians are totally out of touch with the people that elected them and don't repesent them in any way.

Why do they stand for election if they have no interest in the wishes of the electorate.

I have listened again to McEntee when she was canvessing for the Referendum before it took place, I don't believe it is possible to be more out of touch with the electorate even if she lived on Mars !

Probably a lot to do with a lot of politicians having journalists as advisors.

Post edited by Fotish on

Advertisement