Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Revolut Megathread.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

yeah, I’m assuming they ignore what you say your take home pay is and actually look at incoming, ignoring say deductions pre this, savings schemes, loans paid from salary etc. so they don’t get an actual picture. It’s a quite a big hole in their algorithm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

I am a long term revolut account holder and would echo what others have said about holding large amounts of cash in it, just wouldn't feel comfortable with it especially given the poor customer service. It is great for going away for a few days for FX or paying people for different things but generally it is transfer in and used within a few days or transferred to someone else straight away.

I too hold an irish bank account purely for salary purposes, N26 is my main account and use their 2.8% savings account which I find excellent and interest is paid monthly, only thing is DIRT is not deducted at source but you can manage it yourself at the end of year and pay the revenue. I find N26 very reliable and have never had any issues where I could not access funds, had a couple of minor issues with revolut down through the years but overall I would be a fan and find it very good for what I need it for.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Well you didn't actually, legacy ptsb accounts are not an option currently available to people.

Anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I imagine most people nowadays probably end up with at least two bank accounts regardless of their views on what their main bank is

Banking is something too important to just leave to a single provider

Remember years ago when Ulster Bank had a slight IT mishap and basically stopped being a functional bank for a few weeks?

While not as severe, other banks have outages from time to time. So having a single provider isn't ever going to be a good idea

Similarly with savings, it's never going to be a good idea to lock your money up with a single provider. Yeah there's the whole deposit guarantee thing in the EU, but I don't think any banks have ever actually had to use the thing so no-one really knows if it'll work. It only protects you against the bank going insolvent anyway, not against fraud

I've also never understood the mentality of having a large amount of money in your current account. It's just too easy to get busted by some debit card scam. I get that it happens sometimes for large transactions, but it's easy to lock money into an instant access account so at least there's a layer of protection. Someone would literally need to break into your online banking or convince you to move the money of your own accord (which happens far too often unfortunately)

Given how easy it is to move money around, change direct debits and salary payments, the concept of a main bank now is really a lot more flexible than ever

Over the past two years I ended up changing our joint account provider twice, it took about two days to move everything over. It would have taken one day but the mortgage provider needed a letter posted to them to change the direct debit

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I don't know anything about it but there is this option but I think you have to have no other accounts at all

https://aib.ie/our-products/current-accounts/basic-bank-account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭wassie

Its an EU Directive that banks must provide a basic bank account subject specific rules around operation and eligibility.

Revolut offer one -its just not well publicised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭wassie

Banking is something too important to just leave to a single provider

I would agree with this in Ireland - due to a lack of competition. The traditional banks here are renowned for being very unsophisticated by being behind when it comes to technology and a lack of diverse products.

But my experience with banks in the UK, US & Aus is that they are years ahead of our banks and I happily had all my banking with one provider. There was simply no need to have multiple providers.

Most recently (over 6 years ago!) I recall in Aus with my bank I could do the following using their banking app:

• Instant payments to anyone at any other Aus bank
    • Cardless cash withdrawals at selected ATMs
    • Ability to access a redraw facility on my mortgage
    • Arrange banking appointments within the app.

And if I didnt want to use online services, I could go into a branch or call up and talk to a human. The bank there NEVER shut for lunch (I cant believe this still happens in 2024) and some branches were even open on Saturdays!

People in Ireland think Revolut is amazing, but its simply because the traditional Irish banks are just so sh!t…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Qrt

basic bank accounts are a nightmare too, they’re designed for people in vulnerable situations who would otherwise be unbanked, refugees, the chronically homeless, etc, so getting ID&V is a nightmare. very high level of monitoring on these accounts

They say the only are free for 12 months too I think?

Anyway the only mainstream free account I think is EBS (albeit with **** tech but it's something).

Agree with that last bit.

Banks abroad have have joint credit cards for 20 off years but not in Ireland. I mean if you can borrow money for a house jointly why can't you get a joint credit card (instead of faffing with an additional cardholder on a single account).

Yeah having to use a mobile browser (in desktop mode) to do everything is a bit disappointing and the options are annoyingly limited but their are fairly up there from a security point of view compared to others.

Moving your authentication app to a new phone involves a call into their humans and then letter from them in order to activate it. Pain but then more secure than any others processes similar to some German banks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭batistuta9

It based on how much money goes into them. Too much in & your not entitled to it anymore. Really for people only working part time, pension or other welfare payment and vulnerable as poster mentioned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭batistuta9

What fiddling are the at? Isn't that what accountants are for, to make the numbers look as good or bad as you want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes but not lying.

https://www.reuters.com/business/finance/revoluts-2022-revenues-grew-by-33-despite-crypto-winter-2023-03-01/

and you didn’t ask about those only open to new entrants

Anyway…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,563 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I used to be on a free PTSB account but was forced off it a couple of years ago 😠

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭lordsheepface

has anyone successfully sent payment from their revolut account to their aib credit card yet? or are aib and revolut still blaming each other for the payment bouncing back to revolut each time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Revolut finally accepted responsibility for the problem, but don't seem to be doing anything about fixing it. A few posters here have put formal complaints into the Financial Services Ombudsman, which are reviewing these at treacle-like speed.

do we have specifics on what the problem is on revoluts side? may as well add another complaint to the mix here.

Yup they have started investigating but have not heard anything from them since they got in contact to say they would be looking into it and proceeding.

do you have specifics on what the problem is if i was to quote it to them with mine? right now they blame aib and aib blame revolut and its just stuck in a circle. payment from n26 and from boi to aib works, so clear that its a revolut issue. i just dont have anything more to go back to revolut with and they continue to say "not our problem". frustrating.

i was sure i read something a while back in this thread but i cant find it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

You owe treacle an apology, it's much faster than the FSPO 😉

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭beachhead

Was that in a no cash branch? My local branch does foreign exchange as a walk in service.

The problem is that since they switched from LT IBANs to IE IBANs around this time last year, payments sent to AIB from Revolut do not have the proper referencing information, so AIB end up sending them back. They've definitely accepted responsibility for it, but haven't solved it. They've paid compo to a few people here too. Send a formal complaint to their email complaints address and take it from there.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Revolut hasn't changed the manner it sends the reference info, AIB is expecting it to be in a different place now that Revolut is a 'local' bank because the dinosaur Irish banks like to do it different to all the other European banks.

No reason for AIB to insist on this. They could allow Revolut payments to continue to the 'international' IBAN or set up a specific IBAN for Revolut payments if they wanted to.

AIB 100% to blame here IMO.

There was no issue with payments from Revolut to AIB when they used the LT IBANS.

Revolut has formally accepted responsibility for the issue, in their engagement with the Financial Services Ombudsman, in response to my complaint. The only questions now are

1. Will Revolut ever fix this?
    2. Will the Ombudsman formally rule against Revolut and tell them to fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Should this not have been fixed post Sunday 17 March 2024 when even the legacy banks moved to the new ISO 20022 and SEPA v.2019 standard and the Payment transactions now include end-to-end id and remittance information as standard?

I don't pay to AIB but any payment from Revolut that I make works just fine with what I enter into "reference" in Revolut being shown as Reference in the receiving account.

Or is this because some dodgy way that "Irish" banks (i.e. Banks with Irish BAN) transfer between them?

Yep, your last paragraph sums it up. Revolut is not doing anything wrong.

It worked when LT IBANs were being used because AIB treated them as international payments and the receiving AIB IBAN correctly picked up Revolut's reference field.

AIB now refuses to accept Revolut payments to that IBAN as they regard them now as domestic payments and the domestic IBAN they insist on using is incapable of picking up Revolut's reference field either due to ineptitude, inertia, deliberate design or a combination of all three.

That's not what Revolut said to the FSPO, when they accepted that the issue was there fault.

AIB have separate accounts for domestic and international payments.

I did a test transfer today, and it got bounced back, same as before.

Every time I test I test the 3 ibans AIB have, domestic, international and the general one as well. All 3 bounceso I don't think the above regarding AIB treating them incorrectly is right. Besides AIB works from N26 Bunq PTSB etc....

Exactly, that it what I said. The AIB international IBAN had no problem with the way Revolut send reference information.

I'm sure Revolut have looked into this more since responding to the FSPO and realised they may have been a bit hasty in accepting responsibility.

I'm sure that you're making it up as you go along, given that the FSPO have given no such information to claimants.

• Advertisement

If you say so! 🤷‍♂️

Revolut could put a workaround in place to make things work, and maybe they should be held to blame for not being willing to do that given their assault of the Irish market.

Doesn't look like either bank is willing to budge though.

No doubt Revolut could sort it, if they put 1/10th of the energy into their back end systems that they put into new versions of their app.

It’s incredible the loyalty that revolut has cultivated among some users here in Ireland.

We have a poster stating that revolut have accepted blame for an issue, and there’s still people here saying “it’s not their fault”.

As if companies, all companies, don’t do everything in their power to avoid admitting faults

Despite having a formal complaint open with the Financial Services and Pensions Ombudsman (FSPO) against Revolut, I continue to use them as my primary account for receiving my salary and conducting daily transactions.

While the issue at hand may not be significant and can be resolved by sending money to PTSB for proxy into AIB, it is the lack of action and inadequate support that has prompted me to file a complaint.

I suppose that makes me a loyal unappreciated customer 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Can anyone tell me the best way to use my Revolut card abroad? I understand there is an additional fee when your card is used at weekends, so to avoid that I was thinking of converting cash into my target currency mid-week to avoid these charges. Is this a logical approach?

Also, if I use my card abroad (lets say the UK) and I have funds in my Revolut GBP account, will it automatically take funds from this account first before it takes it from my main (Euro) Revolut account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

What you've described is the most efficient way to use it. Just convert enough to cover the weekend.

If you've enough money in your GBP account it will use that first. If you don't it will default to your Euro account and convert on the spot for you. You must have enough in the account to cover the full transaction e.g. if youre buying something for £100 and you have £70 in the GBP account and €200 in the Euro account, the full transaction will come out of the €200.

• Advertisement

That's exactly what it does, and if the GB account cannot cover the bill it automatically pulls from the EUR account and your midweek topup suggestion is exactly what you should do to avoid the weekend 1% charge. The 1% is on transactions AND conversion at weekend so make sure you convert mid week as suggested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The weekend fee is tiny it's hardly worth thinking about in my opinion unless you're making large purchases. Too much is made of it, it only serves to confuse newcomers.

Rather I have the 1% than letting them have it with some minor planning at the end of the day.

At the same time I've often lost track of the other account balance and not done a Friday exchange to realise on the Saturday and say well it's only 10$ per 1000$ not even 1 drink.

N26 don't do the same but they also give a marginally worse rate than revolut to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Definitely once you're used to Revolut it's useful to know but it seems to be the first bit of advice given to people considering joining and it might be offputting imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Meh, Revolut do 1% at the weekend, everyone else does ??% every single time you exchange money.

It's really six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Only thing with Revolut is you can avoid it completely if you want, if you plan in advance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement