Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

One name you never hear mentioned of course is Putin.

I believe he's actually quite popular amongst the far-right, Le Pen, Orban, etc all admirers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Are they though?

British society has been deeply troubled and destabilised by mass immigration and illegal immigration.

The current government there were elected on a mandate to confront the problem.

They have.

It is not their fault nor their business that we in Ireland refuse to take our border or our security seriously.

It is not their fault or their business that our government has encouraged, incentivised and participated in a process of mass, unregulated immigration. So much money is being passed into private hands by this madness that I think it is fair to call it people trafficking.

They are at least trying to safeguard their country while we flail around and attack everything but the problem at source.

No one is to blame for the current crisis, or the far, far worse crises to come, but the leadership in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

plenty of ngos on the radio yesterday debunking the 80 % from uk. it's all people here whose circumstances have changed.

tthen channel 4 interview I'm dublin, yeh came from England.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Good discussion about all this on the Pat Kenny show just now. One interviewee pointed out 'you can't return people to a country that doesn't want them' i.e. Ireland will have to find other ways of managing the people crossing the border issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭bloopy

Why is there such a determination to debunk the Northern Ireland route?

Surely it makes the most sense to use that route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

I missed it… i take it that interviewee was an NGO representative? Who was offering the opposing view? Not wanting them and having an international legal obligation to take them back are two different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭baldbear

Heard that and sounds right even though people won't want to hear it. People will continue to arrive via the North if they want. They can't be stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Who has the ability to appoint and remove ministers? - not the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ECookie13

I can only assume it's just a widespread attempt by certain crowds to debunk any negative immigration news and information, as this is the most amount of negative news that refugee immigration has received here that I can remember.

All the websites where the pro-immigration free-for-all crowd congregates, which are getting less and less these days of course, have been on the warpath the last few days posting about how all these figures about NI are being used by conservatives, "far-right" etc. to push their "narrative". That this is all exaggerated and false news. Sometimes you wonder if it's satire on their end.

It's likely all just an attempt at damage control for their warped ideals, and with the NGOs, to save their backsides and attempt to keep the gravy train going.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭JPCN1

put a couple of huge IPA centers in her end of the constituency and she won’t be returned as a councillor. But she’s happy to visit that upon others. We’ll get the same guff she gave about not being able to take a Ukrainian refugee… happy to leave them in rural Kerry, Clare, Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭aidanodr

So to confirm .. yes this is all about France v UK .. we walked into being the useful used pawn in this

He (Sunak) tells @peston he won’t consider taking returns from any EU countries, unless France did likewise from UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Has solid proof on this been established as of yet though? From what I have read, the high figure being cited of IPAs using the NI route appears to be based on an inference that people who apply for asylum anywhere else than an airport or port must have come across the land border. Inference is not fact, especially when there are reasonably rational reasons why a person might see a benefit at applying at the IPO rather than immediately upon arrival into the State at the airport (ie, fear of being denied entry etc).

It stands to reason that the ease of crossing the border would present a good opportunity for people who have made it to the North and want to apply for asylum in the south. But it would be good to know more solidly how much of that 80% is just a big assumption and how much can actually be verified. Has anything been put forward to that effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭brickster69

AS mumbers increasing in South Belfast the last few weeks.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Don't we have a problem where asylum seekers are essentially "untouchable" and above the law unless they commit a crime serious enough to put them in jail?

Like on Mount Street - we provided them with alternative accomodation with sanitary facilities, and then like soft parents we allow them to go right back to Mount street. And now, Simon Harris talks about a "consensual" approach. Why is it consensual, are we literally unable to just give these people orders or instructions while they reside in our country illegally?!? But the Guards plenty able to shout orders at irish people protesting.

We need to wipe the floor with the established parties at the coming election. They need record low votes and record high for alternatives. Only way to get a semblance of change in tact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭aidanodr

One of the replies to Gavan O Reilly tweet above is interesting:

this really shouldn’t be rocket science

their refusal to accept returns breaches the letter/spirit of the CTA which disrupts the Windsor Framework which thereby puts their Brexit CTA back on the table; we should be lobbying Brussels now for trade sanctions

I think this is the road that Michael martin is travelling and not that useless legislation change McEntee is wasting her time with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭bloopy

But I don't understand why they are so hell bent on disproving the Northern route.

This whole thing has exploded now and is nothing but negative.

WheWhether they are coming in through the airports or coming in through the north does not change the fact that the country has had enough one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

For the migrants camping out at Mount St. committing an offence to get charged and brought to a nice warm bed with wash facilities and 3 meals at day in Mountjoy prison must seem very tempting given the conditions outside the IPAS centre.

Say what you want about the plurality of media — I'm all for media platforms with different views — but I genuinely pity anyone who laps up what Beattie says there as being fact. Not least the idea that somehow the Irish government is to blame for not agreeing to border infrastructure which, even at that, was not infrastructure that was ever proposed as being one aimed at tracking or monitoring the flow of people — only goods. It's just an unbelievable re-writing of history.

You know I think I have just the political party for you…

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/apr/01/ministers-face-tory-revolt-over-plans-to-criminalise-rough-sleeping

I think they'd go down well with you lot in general.

They've got Rwanda, great slogans, and now they're anti-homeless too.

Tell me, what are your thoughts on 'welfare scroungers'?

When they get booted out of the UK, maybe we could import them to replace our 'native' government?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

This whole thing is crazy.So if we send the AS back up North on a bus. What stops them just walking back ?

The country is now looking into a potentially horrific bleak future.

Am I reading into this too much or did leo jump ship because of this?

Oh and where is O Gorman he should be in front of tv camera every day

Post edited by SaoPaulo41 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭2Greyfoxes

Honestly, with Man made climate change set to make vast tracks of land uninhabitable for Humans within a few decades, I think this influx of Asylum Seekers is only the tip of the iceberg we in the West are going to face very soon.

It is going to need extremely drastic changes, some forecasts are for 1 billion people fleeing to the West. We simply can not support that extra amount of people.

I understand and empathise with those who want a humane solution that doesn't increase suffering, however I think we are long past that stage. Europe is going to have a monumental challenge ahead of it, our current leaders are not for for the task, as it is going to make them Monsters.

What we see now is not even a warm up, and already we in the West are failing.

I'm not sure that living on a tent on Mount Street, with the city centre rats running about the place, is the definition of being "untouchable". It's hardly the position of people who have some great hold on power or authority is it?

The Gardai could chase them yes, but to where? Where else could they be chased to where you wont just complain that the Gardai shouldn't chase them from there too? Or more of the Derek Blighes don't appear to protest their presence?

I'm all for building facilities to house asylum seekers rather than have them languishing in tents on the streets. But in the absence of that it seems odd to suggest that they are somehow lording it over us from their tent....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Who would people vote for?

Mass independents in government wont last - too much infighting will eventually happen.

SocDems/PBP would be a laughing stock

SF just as bad as the current shower.

I never mentioned aid?

I think we need to start focusing on how wealth flows from the west to fund corruption in the global south, similar to what we've done with terrorist organizations.

It's not just me who thinks it's very much in our best interests.

https://www.linkedin.com/news/story/equality-vital-for-future-growth-imf-5952644/

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ECookie13

I can't see why we should go building facilities for asylum seekers when no one forced them to come here. They know what awaits them here, yet still are coming and we know why.

Yet most of the next generation of our future of legitimate skilled workers i.e. young students/graduates, can't get accommodation or housing in the cities without paying an arm and a leg, thus forcing a mass exodus of young workers abroad. The housing crisis needs these resources first. Lest we mention the healthcare and old age pensioner facilities that are in bad need.

These need to be the focus of new infrastructure, not building facilities for the economic migrants. Harsh but it's a reality for the future of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Remember those who tried to cross the wall in East Berlin for thirty years?

That's where this will eventually lead to as governments will be overthrown

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

How do you send that message?

Who do you vote for?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

The covid dollar has been replaced by the refugee dollar.

Public money into private hands. Once you start to see it you cant unsee it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Yep. Even if they are returned to the north, they will be on the next bus back again.

Even with checks at the border, they will be back on the next bus.

• Advertisement
Advertisement