Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army-Land Component

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Take away the "and" I'd say. 120mm mortar in a Patria, there's your wheeled artillery.

The APC question is a bit off yet. It could be anything, while commonality is an advantage, it has never been a dealbreaker. Don't forget we operated Scorpions in 1st Armoured alongside Timoney APCs while the rest of the DF was using Panhard AMLs and APCs.

More recently, we've had a mix of Mowag Pirhana IIIh versions, operating alongside RG32Ms.

That said, long long ago, the Introduction of the mighty Patria SISU XA-180, made life in UNIFIL a whole lot safer and more comfortable for those in the BMR, who up to then struggled in M3 VTTs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭roadmaster

If the Defence Forces went the Nemo Mortar would that be the end of the 105 in irish service?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mupper2

One way or the other towed arty's time is coming to an end operationally…how long we hold onto the 105 is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭sparky42

We still have them. They arrived in 1949 (Having served with Monty in El Alemain apparently)

When we got them they replaced the 18 pounders, which had been delivered in 1922 with spoked wooden wheels, as they were designed to be drawn behind a team of horses and limbers. We added steel wheels and pneumatic tyres some time later. They were in service until 1974.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭sparky42

to be fair, I thought they were only ceremonial now, if so we aren’t the only ones keeping them for that. As to the 18 pounders, where were we getting ammo for them into 1974?

From Stock. You know what they say about Stores. They aren't stores if there is nothing stored in them.

I doubt they saw much action prior to 1950 apart from "drills".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Interestingly the word I'm getting unofficially from US testing is that the Nemo isn't meeting their expectations. It's good, but not good enough, as it were. A US purchase seems likely only if there is an urgent need or if better options are not forthcoming.

Some of the 25prs were divested. I ran into one in a ceremonial/ historical role near Toronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mupper2

Title: Department of Defence - Call for Tender to supply Designated Marksman Rifle/ Sniper Support Rifle and accessories.

Description: The Minister for Defence is seeking responses from economic
    operators through this Pre-Qualification Questionnaire (PQQ) for the
    purchase of Designated Marksman Rifle/Sniper Support Rifle (DMR/SSR) to
    the Department of Defence, Ireland for use by the Irish Defence Forces.
    The requirement exists for the supply of up to 374 units
    ​"

Estimated value excluding VAT: 8 000 000,00 EUR

Advertisement