Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is selling on adverts.ie a joke?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,873 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Adverts got themselves some great publicity on the telly tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

When I was first using Adverts I noticed a gaming chair. It was up for sale at a higher price than a new one including shipping. I innocently asked was it a different model or had some extra that made it worth more. The seller got really mad about it but he was aware he was overpriced by 80 Euro for a new one but they had spent more on it when they bought it so he thought his price was fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,873 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Programme called "Life In A Million Ads". RTE 1.

Most of the contributors were on Adverts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

Well done

As lots of ppl my age etc aren't OTB ref Amazon etc scams and dishonest reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

The free Ads disappear off my ads after a while

When did that come in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Have a phone for sale on Adverts, it's the cheapest one available and is in perfect condition. Just this morning I had someone ask if I could deliver it a not inconsiderable distance within north county Dublin. Sure I said. They offered asking, only to ask via pm if the price was negotiable. No I said. They lowballed. I stated if their offer wasn't asking, then we were done. A slightly higher price came in but not asking. You gotta love Adverts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Think its the same on Facebook and DoneDeal. If they want it come and collect it and price is as shown as non negotiable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Fartman666

Sites down, praying for a fix to not being able to search for sold ads (not hopeful, someone probably made a typo in the code that made the site **** itself or something)

• Advertisement

Might be updating things as I went to log in.

BACK working

Adverts have updated their security levels like others had too.

I went to edit a post and a POP UP comes up to send a verification code to registered phone and when its entered allows you to continue as its you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Due to lazy feckers using the same password across sites, people are getting hacked every time there is a data breach. Most recently it was Electric Ireland and Lycamobile. Could be connected. I know toutless have actually stopped people signing up right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

https://www.adverts.ie/games/advice-from-24-year-old-irish-man/33687034

I think its hit a new low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Exact same thing happened me a few years ago- I’m a collector of certain Irish produced products - there’s a few on adverts so we invariably end up bidding on the same items - I think my offer was accepted and we were trading PMs when I better offer came through- was no need to have done that but hey ho at least I know who not to buy from in future

• Advertisement

I know someone who buys a lot on adverts - he’s always looking for a deal - his MO is to ask the seller to go PM- he never makes offers on the thread itself - sometimes the item then appears sold but mostly it doesn’t

You cannot pm the person unless they bid and its accepted or for pm only, looking for something else entirely.

That is not actually permitted as scammers use that to avoid being seen. Where spotted, it is removed.

Yes i figured that as got a few messages from admin saying the person in question has been banned.

+ you get people multi bidding on many items and getting accepted and never answering messages and getting bonus negative feedback and still doing it.

they bid 1 euro for PM purposes - seller accepts that bid which allows PM to take place

• Advertisement

I do this when buying and selling, stops the ad from getting cluttered and if you accept a lower bid and they decline to buy your value is fecked.

Yeah I know what you mean - the visible bidding/offer process is fine as long as people follow through - if I’m selling something I tend to look at the history profile of the buyer just to see how good they are before engaging with them

Don't engage with 1 euro for pm. Just click report and have it removed. It's safer

I've done it 20+ times, never had an issue, like Oscar said checking the profile to see if it has a good history is the best way to play it safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

Some lad with a post offering advice, obviously a pisstake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i can't say it's ever happened me that someone has offered €1 to go to PM, but it'd scream of shysterism to me. i'd want them to explain why i should openly before opening up a PM option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭bennyineire

https://www.adverts.ie/crazy-random-stuff/homebrew-bottles/32182438

€50 euro for 37 empty Grolsch bottles 😀, you can buy them with actual beer in them for €2 a bottle.

Been listed for 4 months, I wonder why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Same. I just politely say "I would rather follow the rules and keep discussions and offers public until an offer is accepted, thanks"

I don't see any benefit in accepting "1 for PM purposes" offers.

Keeping things in the open until an agreement is made is the safest way to operate. If you go private to negotiate there is no point reporting later it went pear shaped. I see lycamobile and Electric Ireland got data breached recently. Anyone reusing passwords leaves themselves open to being hacked. It is best to keep things in the open.

• Advertisement

We do it to not bog down the ad with loads of comments and to avoid taking a big hit on your item if they decline to buy.

Example : Say I have a car for sale at €2000, buyer A offers €1400 and you accept, buyer A then decides they don't want it which leaves you open to offers of €1400 and chancers thinking you'll go lower. If we negotiate via PM nobody sees what your lowest is and buyer B may come along and offer €1700.

Due to the nature of car sales, phone numbers are permitted. It would be unreasonable to expect someone to place a binding offer without test driving it or having a mechanic inspect it. However, offers that fall through can be removed on request if no longer relevant. Just click report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I have to say this one makes me laugh.

Been up well over a year

http://www.adverts.ie/28019607

Ok well using the car was a bad example as I rarely sell them and didn't know numbers are allowed as I thought that was adverts number 1 no no. in short its just easier and less messy, people follow the ads so will know what price you accepted even if removed as requested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

I've used a couple of times lately very successfully. Always check account history - Messers will usually be called out and have bad reviews.

I really do see your point, but if you go private, you are on your own. Dont complain if you went out of the portal and get ripped off. There is only so much adverts can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I find going to pm early is not always bad. Negotiating on thread has disadvantages.

Like…

[ whats your best price?

] make an offer

[ 50% of asking incl shipping?

… several posts later…

] ok we agree on 85% of asking and I throw in shipping

[ sounds great, done

… 5 hours later no payment is coming

[ sorry 'dude' for messing you about but something came up I changed my mind

Now you have to ask mod to clean up and your asking price is basically f****d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Wake me up when it's all over.

Ah I wouldn't be the type to fall for scams or whinge to adverts, I know it's all on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

I don't see much disadvantage in having this information in the main listing. Taking your example:

a) There is useful information in that conversation for other potential buyers. For example, that you will sell it for 85% of asking and pay for shipping. Another buyer might be happy to pay that and will make the same, or close to, offer. If they try to lowball you, point out that you have already dropped the price.

b) If a buyer has to ask questions, like shipping, chances are that another buyer will have same questions. Keeping the conversation public means that you are not repeating yourself over PM. Its handy if you forgot the put the information in the main listing description.

c) Its not difficult to report to a mod to remove the posts you don't want, including any mentioned prices that aren't official offers.

d) You can cancel official offers as well, which removes them from view

Biggest benefit of keeping things public is that it removes alot of the hassle of tyre kickers, shysters and general dodginess. It will be harder to get a mods support if things go south. By accepting an offer prematurely, you have opened yourself to getting bad feedback even if you don't go through with the sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I get that but from experience whatever price was mentioned in a negotiation becomes the new asking. So now people expect something off that.

Yeah that can happen. The way I avoid it is providing an asking price a good 20% or more depending on the item above what I’m actually looking for - I only engage with buyers who have good feedback and appear to be genuine - you can’t legislate for even these guys changing their minds but at least you’re reducing the chances of it happening .

What I don’t get on adverts is stuff listed for months and months on end , usually with a note saying “no offers under asking price” but with a quite high asking price and no engagement with their add- it takes time and effort to upload an ad- why then be so stand offish?

If they were reasonably priced I can understand - clearly the seller has set their lowest price and won’t go under that - which actually isn’t a bad idea- if it’s priced to sell, it will sell eventually

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

What usually gives me a chuckle is people selling things with asking prices in the hundreds or thousands and can't be bothered to take a decent photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,772 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

First to see will buy is the one that is an instant nope for me. Like is it a thinly veiled threat or something?

Some stuff up there must be 3 years and still waiting to shift it and some stuff up there a few days and snapped up.

It all depends in what they want and put a figure in under my set bid i might agree just to shift it and get rid of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,706 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I bought a cable from a lad in Dublin on Adverts. It arrived next day, shipped by Amazon! So he's presumably placing an order on Amazon for each order he gets, with a bit of an uplift, around 30%.

I feckin hate Amazon so I really didn't want to be giving them my business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

…but you did!

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

Amazon dont do next day shipping as always about 3 days is it not when i was a prime member.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Yep - I saw something I was interested in but was too pricey. Commented to see if seller would restructure offer but got rebuffed without a counter offer. I was prepared to go to within 85% of the asking price but didnt get a chance.

Its now for sale for well over a year though I now see its been reduced pretty close to the price I was prepared to pay. Too late for the seller and me as I ended up with a cheaper purchase from another adverts user.

I’m convinced there are people on adverts for whom their only social outlet is to respond to people enquiring about the items they’ve listed for sale 😀

• Advertisement
Advertisement