Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

There is no way, under any policy, short of an enormous unified worldwide effort to clamp down on global travel, where you are going to see an end to people arriving in this country as illegal migrants — or refugees or asylum seekers. You say "we know why" in your post ...well…the same logic applies here. Many people risk life and limb for the opportunity to try to make a life for themselves in the developed world — a tent on Mount Street is not going to deter them. We know why. The numbers might change from time to time, tougher policy might keep it lower for longer, but it's never going to stop for any sustained period of time.

So yeah, you don't necessarily need to build facilties to hold these people — but having somewhere to house them is preferable to them being in tents in the city centre and apparently putting them in other buildings around the country is bringing Ireland to ruin.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭keithb93

Yes, because the West has done great work in controlling terrorism around the world…

It is not our responsibility to fund anti corruption activities in third world countries. We send enough money already and the generosity is taken advantage of.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭boetstark

Was funxtioning just fine up until the winds of change blew down through africa.

A pastoral people were overnight deemed competent to manage the affairs of state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

You might think rough sleeping is ok, I don't.

The conditions at mount street are disgraceful. Hundreds of people being handed a tent and left to pitch up outside the IPA office with no sanitary facilities is wrong. Anyone making an application or waiting for a decision should at least be in a place with basic facilities and not on the public road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The situation is not as bleak as some make out. We are not helpless.

At the end of the day we are a small island on the west coast of Europe. With co-operation from our friends up North and the will to stand up for our own citizens, any government here could radically stem the arrival of migrants. We've only a small number of airports and about 5 ferry terminals to monitor on the entire island. No one is going to be crossing in small boats to Ireland.

Of course, this means reviewing & repealing our commitments to various agreements and treaties but that's par for the course. Nothing is ever written in stone and there forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Fotish

You say that you are all for building facilities for Asylum Seekers ?
    The problem is ,the more facilities that you build , the more Asylum Seekers that will come, where does it stop.

There are 229 million people in Nigeria, what % of this population would you like to build facilities for ?

The never ending poor me sob story. Its raining in ireland since last July , lets blame Britain.

Grow a pair and face up to the fact that ireland since decades agi has been run by school teachers , farmers and parish pump opportunists.

That would be a good starting point to sorting out the s#it show that is the Republic of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Knife attack in the tent site outside Irish times offfice last night. Irish times also running with it, but behind paywall

https://gript.ie/man-seriously-injured-in-homeless-tent-stabbing-outside-irish-times-office/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The DM.. shaping opinions of Brexiteers all over the UK….

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭twinytwo

The problem is the hardcore in the DUP et al would block any attempt at such a move (assuming its even possible).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Of course they're not lording it over anyone from a tent. But I don't understand why they are allowed to pitch tents outside businesses, workplaces, near peoples homes. They were offered alternative accommodation but turned it down to go back go mount street. Why is that allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Step 1 of any competent immigration policy should be to get rid of the ridiculous “leave to remain” nonsense. No government minister should be over-riding a courts decision that a person has no legal right to remain here.

Well I don't know — I guess I'm confused by this thread sometimes as it seems that no matter what path is followed, the country is apparently an open door hotel for the entire world's impoverished.

As it stands, there are tents on Mount Street ...which people are complaining about. But we can't put those people in hotels because that destroys the community. And we can't put them in any other vacant building anywhere else in Ireland because that means we are destroying that community. And we can't put them in a facility because that means more will come.

So apparently the best thing to do is create the first example in human civilisation where an economy open to the world and benefiting from good travel links across the globe manages to end illegal migration forever and also perpetually avoids any circumstance where refugees ever appear on the island and therefore there isn't a single room or bed in the State ever required to be given to anyone other than people born in Ireland, legal migrants and tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

You aren't reading too much into it. I said it weeks ago the government know what's coming in the election and they are jumping ship. Harris was too thick to see it coming the cute feckers Coveney and Paschal stood aside and let him be the fall guy. Make no mistake Leo Varadkar has destroyed our beautiful little island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

On Claire Byrne show now, Bertie Ahern just said we can expect 25000 more llegal migrants coming in this year.

This is unsustainable.

You think EU are going to impose trade sanctions on britain at the bleating of a small island on the edge of Europe.

Once again MM has an overinflated of irelands importance.

Say it again ireland needs an irish solution to an irish problem and forget about having the begging bowl out for europes assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

As much like everything that comes out of that mans mouth it's utter tripe. 25k will be on the very low side of the scale and he knows it. Amazing the way the establishment is getting worried now it's beginning to effect middle Ireland. Suddenly these people have "concerns" about immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I wouldn't worry, Bertie's not very reliable with numbers.

Where there's a will there's a way. Not in DUPs interests either to have a flow of migrants being diverted through NI and then sent back to NI - they're caught up in the middle as well in their own way. The DUP are pragmatists at the close of day.

Yep I thought that when I wrote, but it's a scary figure if it comes to pass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Thats all well and good but REP OF IRELAND ( ROI ) is not a disconnected Island, there are complications in the guise of NORTHERN IRELAND, the GFA and any other recent NI/EU/UK things signed over the last few years as a result of Brexit and to keep the ROI/NI border completely open. We do not have absolute cart blanche to do anything we like as long as this is the case.

The EU are party to this whole complication, as is the UK .. internationally, legally. All has an impact and has to be considered when dealing with the migrants issue.

Like i said a few times earlier here - the migrants coming from "the main land UK" to NI/UK are crossing the wide open border into EU ( which is us in this case, ROI ). They are not just crossing from UK to ROI. Also add the pre EU/EEC CTA complication to all of this.

To all from Northern Ireland here - I am not calling you guys a complication. Its just complications exaserbated by BREXIT. So this whole sh*t show is once again firmly due to that B word .. again

If its low side, then the next few years is a truly scary picture .

Again, I have no issue with the tents being cleared and continuing to be cleared each time they spring up, if it is clear that the occupants of those tents have accommodation they can go to. But it's also not lost on me that attempts to actually house them (males in particular) are then met with protest and outrage. Would you be happy if they were told that their tents would be lifted and put in a campsite with sanitary facilities etc, or would that also be too much and too close to peoples' homes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭riddles

we won’t get change unless we vote for it, FFFG Greens have consistently shown they could not give a monkeys toss about the citizens of this State.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

The UK government had paid £240m to Rwanda by the end of 2023.

However, the total payment will be at least £370m over five years, according to the National Audit Office .

If more than 300 people are sent to Rwanda, the UK would pay a one-off sum of £120m to help boost the country's economy, with further payments of £20,000 per individual relocated.

On top of that, up to £150,000 will be paid for each person sent there, the NAO report said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-61782866

Can we say to the UK give us that kinda moola for each immigrant that crosses from the North into the Republic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭bloopy

We are already at the stage where tents are filling up dublin streets and riot police are being sent to rural towns on the east coast.

The asylum system has obviously already collapsed. Now they're saying another 25000 over the next 8 months. That is more than arrived over the last 16 months .

Whatever about the next few years, I am not sure how it can last over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭2Greyfoxes

That number is not very accurate one just needs to look at the numbers the UK had last year.

In the twelve months to June 2023, approximately 1.18 million people migrated to the United Kingdom, while 508,000 emigrated away from the country, resulting in a net migration figure of 672,000.

25,000 is far off the mark.

I concluded that Bertie is happy to accept this as he couldn't countenance a harder border. That's the price and his bottom line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

Can we say to the UK give us that kinda moola for each immigrant that crosses from the North into the Republic!

Please don't give them ideas, FFG will hop on that gravy train before they can finish the question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

https://www.newstalk.com/news/leitrim-hotel-gets-green-light-to-house-155-asylum-seekers-1720485

"It will be wonderful to see the lights on again and the heat on and people living in there.

“It will be wonderful to see a community rally around and make people welcome.”

I don't think the locals will agree with Labor candidate, completely out of touch

Advertisement