Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

What we need is a policy where any airlines flying (and ferries, Eurostar) into UK and Ireland takes the passports off the non EU and UK passengers on boarding at the gate and hand them to immigration desk on arrival

failure to do so be fined at one million euro per paperless refugee

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I was on a flight from the UK the weekend, once we came off the plane there were 2 immigration officers checking for passports. Now I dont know if this is a new policy or they were looking for someone, first time its happened me. We still went on then to passport control.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

What is interesting is this development with the Rwanda/UK issue is that it's the first time the govt has mobilised a response towards restricting the number of asylum seekers coming into the country.

Is this a watershed moment?

I am not sure about that, but the govt do seem to have acknowledged that some restrictions are required. And once you acknowledge that, its difficult to go full open border again without appearing hypocritical or contradictory.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Having just 2 immigration agents checking passports for a flight of 180 people would take a very long time indeed…

which is why this needs to be done at departure gate where tickets are already checked, and passports of non UK, EU, US (insert other civilised countries here) are taken by boarding staff and handed straight to immigration desk at destination

Plus extreme fines for airlines for not policing documents which they should be doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭bloopy

Is that a load of blood on the ground?

What happened here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Yeah but the problem I have with this view is that any system which allows any form of international travel or migration will always be open to abuse. The very existence of it is the basis for the abuse — and so it will always be abused in some shape or form. Vote in a right wing government tomorrow and I'd put the house on the likelihood that people would still be on this forum bemoaning the broken promises when the easy fixes prove to be not so easy fixes.

There is just is never going to be an answer to this. Immigration will be discussed and decried for the rest of our lives and, long after we are dead and gone, the Ireland-born descendants of Ukrainian refugees and other immigrants will also be decrying the latest example of non-Ireland born people coming over here etc.

The boarding agents already check passports, but won't stop the trafficker from gathering up all the passports whilst the flight is in operation and de-boarding the aircraft without being searched or just dump them somewhere in the arrivals hall?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Longing

if you read what I wrote earlier

• boarding agent checks and takes passports off the non EU/UK/US/EEEA passengers at same time they check tickets
    • Airline transports a box of these documents and hands them direct to immigration desk on arrival
    • Immigration desk deals with each passenger and returns the documents as people are allowed in or makes the airline fly them back

It ain’t an alien concept, try to fly into USA without going through TSA and see what happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Countries like France, Germany, Italy and Spain are receiving hundreds of thousands of asylum seekers (each) every year. It's simply not true that they are all heading to Ireland:

"In 2023, Germany received a quarter (25%) of asylum applications in the EU, followed by:

• France (16%)
    • Spain (12%)
    • Austria (11%)
    • Italy (9%)

These five EU member states together received almost three quarters of all first-time asylum applications in the EU."

To keep things in perspective, Germany had 350,000 applications in 2023. We have had 5000 so far this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭twinytwo

You do not need to do anything of this - just make it not worth their while to stay/come in the first place. As I said hard decisions need to be made, It would require changing/enacting laws and stepping on peoples toes. Time for the bury our head in the sand approach to end.

For any country but especially for one as small as ours this entire situation is completely unsustainable and the less road blocks in the way, the more that will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

What about forwarding mandatory API (Advanced Passenger Information) to the destination airport/ferryport immigration desk? Losing your passport or destroying it is redundant then.

Every airline ticket I have bought requires me to insert my passport details so that information must be held somewhere. Any Data Protection issues can be amended by specific legislation surely.

Something tells me this can't be done for DP reasons, but why collect it in the first place?

like I said, slap the airlines with massive fines until they resolve what is an easily to solve problem of documents going missing “in flight”

Without documents these people could be anyone from terrorists to criminals to Russian spies

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

Been happening for years. Ive seen it many times on airlines arriving from the east. Immigration officials on the airbridge in Dublin Airport. Seen them dragging people kicking and screaming back onto the aircraft too. One heavy set black woman put up one of the best fights ever seen in approx 2011. They couldnt get her up the back steps.

A bit like breathalysers on a bank holiday weekend. Seemed to occur in line with the prevailing mood of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Yeah but I'd like to know what those hard decisions are. Because it's getting pretty tiresome seeing the endless merry-go-round on here of people who seem to revel in a "the government is stupid and incompetent" mindset while blissfully acting like their own views are exclusively common sense, exclusively for the benefit of the country and exclusively free of downsides (aside from an acknowledgement of downsides without ever specifying them).

What are the hard decisions then? What should Irish people be asked to tolerate as the price for ridding us of migration related issues?

So there's gonna be a border official working along with the young minimum wage under-pressure boarding agent who has to board the flight in 10 mins or so and securely box up a number of passports, securely carry them onto the aircraft and place them into a locked cabinet whereby on the other end of the flight more agents will take the box of passports, meet with an authorised official to transport the box and their owners separately to the passport control desk where the documents are further checked and anyone found to be an illegal is held at a facility in the airport to be placed on another flight and transported back to the departure country, e.g. the UK who will accept them back with no issues?

You sure you really thought this one through??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

The best way to deal with this at the moment is to offer these people nothing. Not a tent, not a hotel, not a hostel, no free money, no free food etc…. Make it as unbearable as possible and it won't take long for the word to get around their telegram groups that they aren't welcome and we aren't being played for suckers any longer

Emergency legislation is needed yesterday, if this was a banking emergency it would be sorted last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

How many were sent back pre Rwanda?

Between 2020 and 2023?

I'll give you a clue, somewhere between 0 and minus 1.

But now all of a sudden its a huge issue for McEntee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

really illustrates the need for hard borders around the EU including at sea.

• Advertisement

We trust the airlines to fly us 30,000 feet in air for hours safely, I am sure they can safely collect and transport a box of documents.
    BTW try to enter the USA by bypassing TSA checks, somehow those guys resolved these issues easily

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Complete and total nonsense. Just because international travel can be abused is absolutely no reason for making it easy to abuse.

The main reason we are seeing a massive increase in AS numbers now is due to the supreme Court engaging in a bit of activism and allowing AS to work after 6months, as well as undermining legal migration. That's the primary reason for the explosion in non Ukrainians coming here.

If the government wanted to win a referendum it would have one to overturn that judgement. I guess though it would be "racist" to reinstitute a policy that it used to have and the courts made it drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭2Greyfoxes

True, but what can be done. Take any hard action and you can risk capsizing their boats, or at the very least causing people to fall into the sea and potentially drown. Then word gets out and that comes to a stop due to legitimate outcry.

It really is a lose-lose situation, and the people smugglers, and other unsavoury characters know this all too well.

Even if we sent money to invest in the countries people are fleeing from that offers no guarantee of success, due to just how corrupt and unstable those countries are.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Randycove

so how will this work? We just stick them on a bus and drop them in Newry?

Surely we can’t take people over a border if they have no right to be in that country in the first place, the UK could then decide they entered via the South and bus them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Deleted - replied to an ancient post in error!

Can't see that happening, the boarding staff are already under massive pressure to board people quickly and adding more manual steps will slow down operations further.

What could work is that non-EU passport holders could need to download an app like the "CBP One" and that has to be scanned at the desk with the standard passport check, if either aren't present or the scan is denied then the passenger is refused boarding.

The facility to scan an app could be installed at all Ferry and airport gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

They could, but if they dont receive any benefits here they are unlikley to want to come back.

Unless the migrants showing up at Mount St. to claim asylum have already been I.D'd in the UK and the IPAS system shows this then any steps are utterly irrelevant…

It already happened after 9/11 and security around flying got much much more involved and tighter then

Never mind immigration the implications of a terrorist or criminals abusing the “I lost my papers” loophole alone are concerning

• Advertisement
Advertisement