Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭Damien360

By that measure, Spurs, Arsenal and especially Newcastle wouldn't have voted for the proposal. Man Utd want to leverage their fanbase so that's why they were against it. City and Chelsea have different agendas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭SM01

Serious revisionism me hole. I'm well aware of Nunez's failings and have tempered any posts I've made about him, fully aware of his shortcomings.

As for you calling me nonsensical for comparing him to VVD and Robertson - the point seemingly went over your head if you thought i was comparing them as players. I was saying the whole team has been out of sorts. That's not a comparison, so quit attributing that nonsense to my post.

You don't like Nunez - grand, I've no problem with that. I feel he's worth another season before i judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Did you watch Conor Bradley's last 4 or 5 games before his injury? The same thing that people fault Trent for was happening Bradley. He was being caught out 2v1 a few times too. The first half of the Crystal Palace match was car-crash stuff for Bradley and reminded me of Neco Williams performance against Brighton I think it was around covid times where he was clearly targeted too, was isolated, and got roasted.

There a system issue here, mainly because Salah is on that wing too, as it happens to whoever plays RB over the last few years but the big thing is that the pros of playing Trent & Salah there far outweigh the cons. Over the course of the season Trent could probably be at fault for maybe 5-10 goals conceded. Just for arguments sake on the extreme side, let's say he is at fault for 13. The regular RB at any big attacking club is probably at fault for around 4-5 goals, to be on the nice side. But Trent can contribute towards 20 goals in any season whereas the regular other RB can probably contribute around 9 goals (I'm using Ben White this season as an example/Cancelo at City).

Trent's delta is +7, whereas others are +4. It pays to take that risk of having Trent & Salah play the way they do on the right hand side as the overall contribution of goals is higher. They are the main 2 routes to actually scoring goals. Why take that away just to concede 5 less goals, but score 10 less?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's not revisionism - it's trying to rebalance from over the top declarations the other direction. His issues with erratic finishing are always there. That's just been a continuous issue with his time with Liverpool. It's the other stuff that is obviously more recent (and a callback to his worse games last season), just not being as involved, and not holding the ball up as well.

For the 'has gotten worse' this season than last claim… I mean, I don't know how someone can come to that conclusion really. From last year to this, his hold up play has been much better, his link play has been much better, his choice of runs and his decision making in passing has been much better. Still not perfect of course, but demonstrably improved. There are no shortage of posts stating this all throughout the season. His finishing, unfortunately, has not improved enough though. But overall his game has demonstrably improved - until it all fell apart recently, along with the form of the rest of the team.

He's a problem, and a conundrum - even with the other things he offers (and he does offer them), can you have a CF who misses so many close-in goal-poaching chances? At this stage, I'd kinda say no - to be a CF for a real challenging side, he needs to improve his finishing in those 'tap in' situations. But he fits like a glove into either of our wide positions, and indeed it's runs from those areas where he tends to cause the most problems anyway.

I'd look at a game like our win over Bournemouth in January as an example of how he works best with us - played left wing, with Jota centre, and Diaz right. Nunez and Jota scored 2 each, with Nunez giving us the lead - something he's done more than anyone for us this season - and playing a part in all 4 goals. It had the benefits of him coming inside when there was space on the break, and running on the outside when it was congested. I think we'd have seen a lot more of that if Jota hadn't spent so much time injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Insanity, if anything I've long believed the team should be built around him. So many focused on what he can't do, he's a generational player, no conventional role suits his talents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭esker72

He's amazingly creative but the downside of that is he hasn't managed to improve the basic part of his game which as a full back is defending. That should be the easiest part to get right but he just doesn't seem to be bothered about it and there's a narrative that he creates more than he's at fault for. The problem is that the goals he's at fault for are usually in the big games against teams that will target him. Ancelotti and Vinicius had a wonderful time against him and managed to beat us twice in Europe as a result at a time when we were a better team than them. Robertson hasn't half the talent but for years matched him for assists but rarely got caught out because he had a much better attitude, although Robertson has slipped over the last few seasons. I'm not sure putting Trent in midfield works as it's just too easy to get by him. The telling part of your post is that no conventional role suits him - its a team game so if there's a gap somewhere it's going to be exploited in the big games and you're going to get close but not quite there a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,553 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We need a Walker 2.0 at rightback

And for Trent to be in the 3, in a 4-2-3-1 formation , center in the 3 would be ideal, he'd get 10 PL goals a season , and assist another 10. Time for him to forget rightback, like Gerrard did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

We have about 5 actually No.10's in the squad so if are going to change to a system utilising one, I doubt trent is going to be one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

We may not have that "problem" with Trent, his contract is up in 12 months.

I'd play him as a No.10, he has all the talents for that role, i think Slot plays with a 10, maybe he'll try him there.

__________Alisson_______

Vagnoman_Araujo_VVD_Robertson

___MacAllister__EdsonAlvarez_____

Salah____Trent______Diaz_____

_____LautaroMartinez________

Make it happen.

• Advertisement

How come no club has ever tried to buy him, one club man, and scores bags full of goals every season, in a league known for it's defensive play, and he rarely misses a game. We need goals, this is the guy.

The Athletic FC: Meeting Slot, plus Salah set to stay at Liverpool; White’s Dark Arts lesson

By Phil HayApr 29, 2024

Hello! It’s Monday, there’s a full week ahead.

Don’t let the Ben White in your office distract you. Coming up:

👋 What will Arne Slot bring to Liverpool?

😡 Klopp’s tiff with Salah — but forward expected to stay

🪄 Dark Arts fitting Arsenal like a glove

📈 Messi’s 50 goal-contributions challenge

Goodbye ‘Gegenpress’, hello ‘Topsport’ 

Jurgen Klopp’s appointment in 2015 made gegenpressing the buzzword at Liverpool. For nine years the club have fed on his brand of the counter-press; heavy-metal football, as it was dubbed for a while.

Very
    soon, gegenpressing will make way for Totalsport, the philosophy which
    brought Feyenoord the Dutch title last season. Change is coming to
    Anfield in the form of Arne Slot, the coach who Liverpool have chosen as
    Klopp’s replacement.

Terms for him were agreed with Feyenoord late on Friday. Here are the headlines from it:

• Liverpool sources say the fee is around £9.4m ($11.8m). Feyenoord
      claim it is worth more than £11m ($13.8m). You tend to get disparity in
      the numbers given by different sides of a negotiation but one way or
      another, Slot has not come cheap.
    • He’ll bring members of his coaching staff from Feyenoord, including
      assistant Sipke Hulshoff and head of performance Ruben Peeters. Those
      seem like key additions in terms of continuity.
    • We’re still to learn the precise details of Slot’s contract but
      Liverpool will commit to him long-term. As soon as he said openly that
      he wanted to leave Feyenoord last week, this was a fait accompli.

Is it a risk for Liverpool?

For all that Slot is
    highly respected in European circles, the Liverpool job will give him a
    global profile overnight. For the wider world, there’s much to learn
    about him.

In truth, it’s some leap for the 45-year-old Dutchman —
    not because he lacks suitable credentials, but because Feyenoord was
    his first high-level coaching job.

He’s
    been trending upwards since he took a smaller Dutch side, AZ Alkmaar,
    to second place in the Eredivisie in 2019-20. That sort of
    over-performance always makes rival clubs sit up.

At Feyenoord, he
    was part of what became known as ‘Totalsport’ — a linear project where
    every cog in the machine from top to bottom was important but not
    indispensable. It’s how the post-Klopp era will look at Liverpool.

Tactically, he’s unashamedly influenced by Pep Guardiola.
    His style has similarities to that of Roberto De Zerbi at Brighton. The
    Athletic’s Adam Crafton got the chance to spend time with Slot a year
    ago. He’s written at length today about Slot’s charisma and ideas.

The
    conclusion I reached was that Slot won’t try to run a dictatorship at
    Anfield. It amused me that some at Feyenoord have never heard him raise
    his voice at the training ground.

Part of you still wonders if Bayer Leverkusen’s Xavi Alonso was the man Liverpool really craved. But their haste in nailing down terms with Feyenoord is a big vote of confidence in Slot.

Salah fuels fire… but is likely to stay

As
    Adam’s piece points out, no transfer fee under Slot at Feyenoord went
    higher than £9m ($11.2m). Feyenoord’s top wage is less than £40,000
    ($50,000) a week. Needless to say, he’ll be dealing with much bigger
    numbers and much bigger egos at Anfield.

That was demonstrated by the extraordinary spat between Klopp and Mo Salah during Liverpool’s 2-2 draw with West Ham United on Saturday, a result which confirmed that their bid for the Premier League title is done.

Neither
    would say what the disagreement was about, and Klopp tried to brush it
    off afterwards. Salah then poured fuel on it by telling journalists
    there would be “fire if I speak”.

They’ve been good for each other, Klopp and Salah, and we’ve just broken the news that Liverpool expect the Egyptian to stay next season. Even so, this is what the end of days for a manager usually looks like. At least the documentary should be good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,556 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

The Athletic podcast was about Slot. It's not worth a 40min listen, but I'll link it at the bottom anyway

Couple of takeaways...

...he likes his fullbacks to invert, so he'll probably like Trent

...he loves wingers, they suggested he'll love Diaz

...confident almost to the point at arrogance, but they didn't actually want to say that explicitly. Great charisma though, said the Feyenoord fanbase can be nuts and they love him

Overall very positive, with the caveat of not having big league or champions league experience. The other thing they said was that he's yet to have a particularly bad patch in his career, which is obviously a positive but does mean it's not known how he'd cope with that

YouTube link...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

A Dutchman who comes across as arrogant.... Well I never!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭Damien360

seems to be a national thing at every level. I’ve worked with a few and been on training with quite a few. I’m always unsure if it’s confidence or arrogance. They tend to be likeable though !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I think it's as much the demeanor and how they speak as anything, come across that way but often nothing behind it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭Talisman

The point I was making is that the club hierarchy are not going to settle for being also rans, Klopp will be gone but the core group of players will still be here. We have shown this season that even with the team in transition it's possible for the squad we have to challenge Man City. Klopp's key strength has been his man management, getting the players to buy into his playing philosophy quickly was a master stroke. If Slot can perform the same feat then the team can be very competitive next season.

I don't expect there to be a major clear out of players from the squad in the summer. There's a few tweaks required and I assume that the club's transfer targets are already locked in. There may be plenty of media headlines suggesting that Slot is going to bring X, Y and Z, however that's not how the club operates. The core group will remain in place and it will be supplemented with new additions.

Finishing in the top 4 will be the minimum expectation for Slot, but the evidence is there that the ceiling for this group of players is much higher.

I would be very happy if under the new manager/coach, the domestic cup competitions were used for fielding the second choice players and make the league and European competitions the main focus. Under Klopp, the seasons when the team was eliminated from the FA Cup in the 4th/5th round are when we were most competitive at the business end of the season.

It's no coincidence that Arsenal went out of the domestic cups early this season and are still going strong with 3 league games remaining.

Salah wasn't raw, he was 25 when he joined Liverpool, just coming into his prime. Curtis Jones only turned 23 a few months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

FSG being quick to act to sack each of Hodgson, Dalglish & Rodgers for varying reasons show that they won't settle for a manager not doing good enough relative to expectations. Dalglish reached 2 cup finals, winning 1 and was sacked for poor league performance once the league ended. Rodgers got a brief stay of execution but was gone once the first sign of another poor run of form appeared.

• Advertisement

Turns out that Billy Beane was a big fan of Slot and recommended him to FSG.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3np7FbzFbCcI7GTshaezcC?si=2xhdpmZ2S9eqQfpKVlNrsw&t=546&pi=e-hqMV5ZPZTmm2

''While it may have been expected that Taylor face punishment for his clear mistake, the 45-year-old will still referee in the Premier League this weekend.

PGMOL submitted their appointments to the top flight with Taylor in charge of Burnley vs. Newcastle in Saturday’s 3pm kickoff.

That may be viewed as a demotion of sorts, with Paul Tierney appointed the Liverpool vs. Tottenham game''

From bad to worse if you ask me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

PGMOL haven't admitted it was an error, have they?

Why he blew the whistle so aggressively as to stop Gakpo in his tracks is the question that needs answering. The mask slipped, that's why, it was purely to stop Liverpool scoring. And yet anyone that calls it out is a fool, and everyone from BBC, to Sky, to TNT, will call it a mistake, because how dare anyone even suggest that the English game is corrupted, it's like the PGMOL answer to no one, and that is where corruption takes root.

Germany

Spain

Italy

France

All have or had bribery cases involving clubs and referees in recent years, but no one will even contemplate that the English game too has a problem, everyone wants to bury their head in the sand, and put their hands over their ears and say LA LA LA, simply to protect the brand that is THE PL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

But the PL brand is much more valuable if the winners change regularly. Rather than being crooks, I reckon the refs are just incompetent. Maybe I’m naive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭McFly85

Yep, it’s clear the the referees are just not up to scratch. VAR has highlighted it. The frustrating thing is they have no incentive to get better. They run themselves and English football isn’t going to start using any other referees.

That being said, them going to Abu Dhabi to ref games is a clear conflict of interest and should obviously be stopped. But considering it’s up to themselves to stop, won’t happen anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

If only they’ll cancel the documentary now as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I read that there has been no streaming service looking to take it up yet. Probably won't with the end of season rut where in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I think it's extremely difficult to expect us to be challenging for the title next season with a new manager. City and now Arsenal are clearly much stronger than us, we did well to stay in the race as long as we did and ŕeally should be still in it, but, for some terrible finishing from our out of form forwards, however, just because we went close this year, it doesn't automatically mean we'll challenge again next season.

Klopp is a massive loss and it will take Slot awhile to implement his own ideas and get everyone on board. Also the likes of Salah, VVD and Robertson are coming to the end of their Liverpool careers over the next season or so, and will need to be replaced, it's not going to be easy to replace those players with similar quality players. There's question marks over most of our forward players. We have a top 4 squad, but, we are short of a top 2 squad, next season we will be closer to the likes of Villa & Spurs competing for 3rd/4th than we will be to either City or Arsenal competing for the title. Once we make CL and make the knockout rounds FSG will be happy with that.

A focused recruitment process will go a long way to correcting issues with the squad. It shouldn't be forgotten that Klopp's arrogance regarding the need for new players was in no small way responsible for the disaster that was the 2021/22 season. Last summer was also panic stations on the recruitment front before the transfer window closed. With Edwards back in the fold, I think our player recruitment process will be back to its best.

I appreciate what Klopp has done for the club, but I don't see the performance level dropping simply because he is gone. It has been obvious that Klopp is tired and in a rut for a while and so has the team - the mentality monsters checked out some time ago.

A fresh approach will be the jolt to spark things back into life. If Slot gets the team playing with a bit more intelligence, the performances will vastly improve. Feyenoord improved in his first season at the club, and there's no reason not to expect the higher quality players available to him at Liverpool not to be able to adapt to his methods as quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Oh no, I didn't think so. When there was mention of whether or not he'd be punished though, I thought maybe I'd missed something. In their eyes I'm sure he did no wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Obviously I hope you are right about Slot and his new ideas quickly having a positive effect on the squad, I just think it'll take time for him to settle in, new country, league etc.

I agree regarding Klopp in 22/23 ( think you got your seasons mixed up, 21/22 was the Quadruple attempt season) not strengthening midfield in particular, plus also after winning the league not reinforcing the defence cost us any chance of retaining the title, people tend to forget we were top at start of January that year, and had we got in a CB early in January that year, we could well have stayed in the title race and avoided that awful start to 2021, still think that was our best chance of winning another title had we acted decisively that January transfer window.

I hope Slot is a bit more flexible in his tactics and formations when the team is not playing well or plan A is not working, one of the frustrating things about Klopp was sticking to the same tactics in certain matches or at periods we were out of form like in early 21, last season and our current rut.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

It should not be forgotten that we were in the middle of a global pandemic then too. Another reason to invest in the squad experience expecting that we could not go through the entire season without been affected by COVID absences, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Klopp's "arrogance" on transfers: I'd be wary on judging him on saying he didn't need players.

For all we know they tried, failed and rather than publicly moan he decided to say the right thing in public

Howard Webb came out today and called the 3 penalties for Forest the correct calls, that none where penalties, when every pundit on TV already established that they were indeed 3 penalties, but that it was just mistakes , rather than an agenda by the Luton fan on VAR.

At least Spain, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, are going after the corrupt officials, PL acting like they don't exist .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

That's nonsense. He said that one should have been a penalty. Why are you posting lies? There is a conspiracy theory section in boards.

I seriously doubt it was Klopp not wanting the new signings. Yes he was the face of the decisions and spoke to the media at length about right player's not available, he's happy with his squad, no value in the market etc...

But these are decisions made whether he likes it or not, regardless of the outcome it was Klopps job to front the media and toe the party line as they say. Do you think if the board came to him at those times and told him we're planning on getting you 2 new midfielders, or 2 new defenders or whatever the case maybe, that Klopp would have told them no?

Stop making stuff up Toby. I don't like Webb as much as the next fella but he did not say that. He agreed that the Hudson Odoi should have been granted, and that's the one most pundits pointed too. Everyone else was 50/50 on the others from what I have seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Can you show when Webb said that should have been a peno? Think he said that he would have preferred that a review on the monitor was recommended by VAR, not quite the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

The VAR rules are that a monitor review is only requested when the VAR official believes a mistake has been made. A doubtful or dubious decision does NOT go for monitor review.

Hence, in the vast majority of cases the ref will over-turn his decision when called to the monitor as the VAR official is confident a mistake has been made.

Commentators/analysts who (still continually) say "well at least they should have asked the ref to have a look at the monitor" haven't a clue what they are talking about (or some I think are deliberately misleading / courting controversy). If every dubious decision went to monitor review it would be total farce.

Hence, if Webb is saying he would have sent it for monitor review, then he's admitting he thinks it's a mistake (although I very much doubt his sincerity!)

Nice little listen here if you're interested in some history

9min interview with the son of Geoff Twentyman, who was chief scout from 67-87

Bit of chat about the boot room, scouting Rush, Keegan, Hansen etc

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3ct5wd7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Then he's admitting it but in a roundabout way and he's very much doing that on purpose.

[Pearce] John Achterberg will leave #LFC after 15 years of service when his contract expires this summer. Massively respected and popular figure who has played a huge part in such a successful era.

Everyone's favourite scapegoat is off.

I wonder will Taffarel stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

The 2015 thread will be delighted with that news!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭steve_r

There was a specific post I remember from that time about how a bag of cement would be more effective in goals than Mignolet, would love it if someone could remember who posted it/how to find it - no joy on google

You're wrong. He covered his tracks , and Atwell's on VAR by saying '' "We would have preferred an intervention on this situation for the referee to go to the screen to make a judgement for himself''

But why, one Ref is as good as the other, Atwell is a Ref too, and he's the one with all the angles and slow motion, so to come out in the aftermath and say,, '' we would have preferred'' doesn't cut it. Fact remains 3 stonewall penalties, of the type City win constantly, were not given by a Luton fan on VAR.

Webb ''Probably this, probably that''

But not once did he say the words, '' this was a wrong call, it was 100% a penalty''

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

When was the last time he was even remotely mentioned In negative way :))

Have to admit I haven't heard of Carter Pennington, local 17yo centre back, signed a pro contract

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/carter-pinnington-signs-first-professional-contract-liverpool

• Advertisement
Advertisement