Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Supercharger network in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

same difference to consumer

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭65535

I charged twice today in Athenry on a non Tesla - I find that the Chargers on the left hand side (2a, 2b etc.) are not working for non Tesla cars - also another user had a problem disconnecting from them.

The ones on the right hand side as you drive in (1a, 2a etc.) were fine - no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭iniall

bit weird considering SuC is an untapped revenue stream especially in the States

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

and it's about to explode with almost everyone adopting the NACS there…

So they get almost all the other manufacturers to switch over to NACS (which is now the defacto standard in America), then sack their Supercharger staff…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I assume the "plan" is to just roll it into another department and overwork everyone there

His lordship did say they'd complete all the existing sites under construction but was quiet on expansion

Maybe they're aiming to become an OEM by selling the chargers to other companies

IMO, if the SuC network is just left to rot then it'll be very bad news for Tesla. A lot of people specifically bought Tesla for the network

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Gotta pay for Musk's $55bn payout somehow I guess! Genuinely think he's just bleeding the company dry at this stage in advance of an increasingly inevitable collapse

I don't think it will be left to rot, I'm a good few years using the SuC here and in the UK and even the V2 stalls are very dependable and I cannot remember seeing even one stall out of action so I think they are built to last "as is"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Gotta pay for all the X lost revenue since he bought it for $44bn.

Musk is a liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The question is if it's making money or not. Even the annual revenue from the network is hard to quantify since it's lumped in with a bunch of other revenue streams. And every analysis of its financials seem to completely avoid the costs associated with it.

Opening the network up might be an indication that it needed to generate more revenue, given that it was done at the expense of a very unique selling point. And now this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭talla

Is this just the US Supercharger team or is it global i.e. is the new Dublin based "Super Charger" person now out of a job?

And yet they waste money on this roadshow, European Cybertruck tour, Dublin / Cork Service Centres, Dundrum Shopping Centre :

https://www.tesla.com/en_IE/events/cyberodyssey

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭McGiver

Maybe they're aiming to become an OEM by selling the chargers to other companies

This I think has always been the end game.

Yeah that's a good point, I suspect even though the usage is generally high it isn't immensely profitable. After all as a CPO, you pay a large part of every kilowatt hour you sell to the electricity supplier

That's why I'm wondering if there's more money in supplying equipment than charging

The $55bn thing is very poorly timed, a payout like that would pay the wages of all the redundant workers for the next 40 years

And yes, I know the payout isn't cash, it's stock options and the like but it's still clear that Elon thinks he's worth $55bn of added value to the company

Any sane board of directors would be asking some difficult questions like what exactly he's done in the past year to earn that payday

It seems that he wants to focus the company onto interesting stuff like AI, robots that dance, supercars that fly and FSD

He doesn't seem particularly interested in boring stuff like model refreshes or cheapmobiles for the masses

My guess is that he's trying to get the company valued as a tech company again instead of a car company. Then he can sell the vision a lot more and bump up the share price

From the article:

To lay off that whole team just when the company has earned such a big win, when billions in public money is available for buildout (which would not have been available without industry NACS adoption, which was, again, spearheaded by Tinucci’s negotiations), and when there is a lead to be maintained, is absolutely crazy. This move, alone, would erode any confidence I had left in Tesla’s CEO – if I still had any.

I can sign this. And yes, he's a liability. X TV my foot. Either stick to tech or entertainment/disinformation.

It was never originally supposed to be a revenue stream, it was supposed to be cost neutral to sell the cars.

Now that they have pivoted, it is to be a revenue stream afterall. So strange the timing of laying off the team

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Well if it was losing money then it wouldn't be cost neutral either. So it would make sense to open it up and getting rid of the staff would imply that its expansion is being halted too. Which seems to be what is happening according to that article.

Well, I know from an insider, that with other layoffs China and US were disproportionately affected because that's where all the focus is. Tesla is doing much better in Europe, so EMEA teams are less affected. THat's what I've heard. Whether it's 100% true, I don't know.

There was talk of a 5% reduction in Giga Berlin, which would be a few hundred employees

In Europe companies can't just fire people and chuck them out in the same day, there's a whole raft of labour protection laws to prevent this

There would at least be a consultation period and Tesla would have to demonstrate there isn't any available roles that affected employees could move into

On top of this, unions have been trying hard to make inroads into Tesla. Making a bunch of people redundant would be a great recruiting drive for those unions, so Tesla might be holding fire for a while or letting people go in smaller waves here

As someone who is the employee owner of a few Germans….

yes.

having German employee's is a ball ache.

a ball ache.

• Advertisement

A company I used to work for, left germany entirely because of the works council requirements

I’m in the process of expanding my team, so am receiving CV’s to review from our recruitment team, and if they are German, they don’t even get opened…

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭CivilEx

To answer the question of Minister Mary Harney many, many years ago, it seems that we may be "closer to Boston than we are to Berlin", certainly as it relates to employment practices in Ireland!

Apologies to moderators...I digress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Back to the topic.

I very much doubt the SuC team were responsible in assembling the chargers destined to Ireland. Suspecting that this fully developed (major version 4 at this stage) product is built in Shanghai these days, and based on how their Model 3/Y assembly quality is compared to US ones it doesn't seem like a disaster to me. Just a project that is now ready and doesn't warrant a full team working on it these days.

My take is that there won't be a charger version 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Article indicates they've halted planned SC expansions even in busy areas like new York even power ready locations

Does not indicate positive outlook for upgrades or expansion elsewhere.

https://electrek.co/2024/04/30/tesla-pulling-back-supercharger-plans-firing-team/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

I was reading on the topic this morning and you are right. We shall see what happens in Europe, things happen quickly with this company.

In general, for a mature product like SuC v3/v4 it would make sense to drive the SuC expansion locally within the markets as opposed to centrally from one team in US.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭FreshCoffee

A lot of the media have their knives out for Elon Musk & Tesla for some time now. It seems that every move he makes is blown up into a major negative headline.

This article seems more nuanced on what's happening with Superchargers:

https://www.teslarati.com/elon-musk-explains-reasoning-behind-tesla-supercharger-team-disband/

Was it just the US team that got axed?

I'd tend to disagree with the idea of making it country specific, seems like there'd be more job duplication that way

Having a central team allows for a more global strategy to link up major routes, which seems to have been a major focus

The technology is mature, but there's always room for improvement. There's already more powerful chargers coming from some competitors

I think there will be a v5 but it'll be an incremental improvement some time in the future rather than 2-3 years from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Teslarati... had a positive story.

Read my article they've cancelled locations that were power ready and also over prescribed for expansion.

But ya...

He opens up locations to other vehicles, increased costs, cuts the team, cuts planned and near finished locations and you only believe the positive hype out of a stock pumping website with good news story's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

You have to be huffing some good stuff to still be on the "Elon is a smart guy" bandwagon at this stage

Advertisement