Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It is a fantastic presentation and I agree completely with the vision and most of the suggestions of what they want to do over the next few years/decades. A steady, ongoing works project of upgrading the existing infrastructure, double tracking, electrification, speed upgrades, etc.

2. Information about how the service will work. BEMUs will operate from
    Connolly to Drogheda. I presume that means that if I want to take the
    DART from Bray to Drogheda, I'll have to change trains at Connolly,
    switching from EMU to BEMU.

No, it will run from Bray/Greystones to Drogheda, no change needed (in general, some services will terminate at Malahide, etc.).

He is just saying it will run on the wires between Connolly and Malahide and then battery to Drogheda, it then goes on to say it will continue South on the wires, just doesn't name the stations.

There is now some talk that it might even continue onto Wicklow on battery power to the South end of the line, but not confirmed yet.

3. IE being at the forefront of BEMU usage in Europe (it kind of gives
    the impression that the guys in Alstom did a good sales number on IE
    management!)

We are definitely early movers, but not quite the first. BEMU's have been operating in Japan for a decade now and Alstom are delivering battery trains in Germany, France, etc. this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Economics101

If BEMUs are used from Connolly (or Pearse) to Drogheda, with about 23 miles on Battery power from Malahide to Drogheda, how much time will be needed to get a sufficient battery recharge to get safely back to Malahide? If it's more than 10 minutes, this will surely effect utilisation rates for BEMUs. Talk of Irish Rail being a pioneer of BEMU operation is perhaps a bit misleading; its more a matter of Irish DoT, NTA, TII, or whoever, being very reluctant to do what everyone else in Eurpe does: electrify highly-used rail lines.

Only in Ireland could a <2 mile track doubling be described as a massive job. A bit like electrification, the powers that be are spooked at making investment decisions. Why soed Ireland seem so exceptional in this (even worse than the UK in some respects)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

They have said it won’t, but it surely will. Faster acceleration, etcs braking curves, and no gates to slow down or stop for.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭spuddy

The guy mentions a time of 18 minutes in the presentation, I can't recall if it was for recharging or turnaround.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

There is an engineering doc online that details how the charging works, etc. I’m remembering off the top of my head, but it claimed it could charge up in 12 minutes, which fits the existing turn around time.

Also note that the battery recharges as they break into stations. Again off the top of my head, I think they said that the batteries could be fully charged with all the stops from Bray to Malahide, before the return journey to Drogheda.

It seems that a lot of the battery trains are using a different battery chemistry than what is in EV cars. Many seem to be using Lithium Titanate Oxide batteries rather than the traditional Lithium Ion (NMC) batteries found in EV’s.

The advantage of LTO is that they have in the region of 6 to 12 times faster charging speed versus traditional NMC batteries! Also x10 charge lifecycle. Downside is less energy dense, but not really an issue for a big train.

BTW I should say that I can’t find anything from Alstom confirming the battery chemistry, but LTO is being used in most other BEMU projects like the one in the UK.

BBTW there will also be battery storage buffer in Drogheda station, these batteries will charge from the grid, so that when the train arrives, they can use these batteries to quickly charge the train at a rate higher then the local substation could normally support.

It is all very interesting stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

@Economics101 We are electrifying the line. The choice was between replacing diesel rolling stock with electric trains in 2025, or waiting until the electrification gets all the way to Drogheda.

If you're not aware, the DART+ Coastal North project, starting later, but running in parallel, is going to extend the 1500 V electrification all the way to Drogheda, but that's not happening overnight. IÉ took the right approach, and decoupled their rolling-stock renewal project (critically needed) from the line electrification project: it's almost like they knew what happens to large projects in planning, and mitigated against that risk.

As for distance, the battery range is given as 80 km. The unelectrified stretch to Drogheda is 38 km. The trains will be able to top up their charge sufficiently at Drogheda to make their return to the electric stretch without a particularly long dwell time, as they can also charge by drawing power from the overhead lines.

I don't think there was much of a sales job needed by Alstom: the BEMU option significantly de-risks the electrification of the former diesel commuter lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Just wondering by how much?

Surely commuters even in Drogheda or Skerries, or Maynooth would prefer more direct trains. Hardly any benefit to commuters having a nicer train that takes the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

In Drogheda’s case, the plan is to stop at all stations to Connolly, so I suspect the time benefits of electrification will be cancelled out by the need to stop at more stations on the way.

It isn't really about what commuters might prefer, it is about what is possible for a given project/infrastructure/budget.

Increasing frequency and thus capacity is in general more important on these routes which are already well overcrowded.

As for distance, the battery range is given as 80 km. The unelectrified stretch to Drogheda is 38 km. The trains will be able to top up their charge sufficiently at Drogheda to make their return to the electric stretch without a particularly long dwell time, as they can also charge by drawing power from the overhead lines.

Agree with what you are saying, but FYI, based on the engineering doc I read, they won't recharge the batteries from the overhead cables (outside of Drogheda Station), not enough power available from the overhead cables to both drive the trains and charge the batteries. However the batteries will recharge from regenerative braking when stopping at stations and this can be enoguh to fully recharge the battery before the return journey. Plus it has the energy saving bonus of "free energy" rather then drawing extra from the grid.

Thanks, but I was thinking more about (a) how long it has taken to start electrifying main suburban routes in the GDA generally. and (b) the zero real plans for long-distance routes (apart from the sensible Irish Rail policy of 25kv AC beyone Hazlehatch).

On the 80km range using battery power, given that some cars can now manage 400km, and remembering the much lower rolling resistance of trains, the 80km range has always seemed to me to be very low. Any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

I also thought an 80km range is quite conservative, considering each train will have an 840kwh battery pack, almost twice the size of the Wrightbus battery electric busses, that have a claimed range of 320km. It may be they are only using a small window of the battery capacity to maximise battery life considering they will be frequently fast charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Very Irish thing to do. Build transport that makes little sense. These routes may be busy for 1 hour each way per day. Building more tracks so they could have both direct trains and those that stop everywhere would be far more beneficial.

It means CPOing and bulldozing lots of people’s homes to build those tracks and depending on the project you are talking about would cost billions! Given the cost it is questionable if it would have a positive CBA.

BTW maximising the capacity of an existing route isn’t a “very Irish thing”, it would be international best practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The RTE report said that they will carry 550 passengers, am I right in thinking that when in operation, each train will consist of two such units? How does that compare to whats used at present, full DART set and the commuter sets?

It seems to be 840kWh total per 5 carriage train, which has a capacity of 550 people.

The wright bus are 340kWh (or 454kWh) with a capacity of about 90 passengers.

Also keep in mind trains are much heavier then buses. 6 times the passengers for just a little over twice the battery size.

Note: The 5 carriage trains can be formed into 10 carriage sets with double the battery and passenger capacity. Also it isn’t clear if Dublin Bus got the 340 or 454kWh models of the Electroliner. Anyone know for certain?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

They would be much heavier alright, plus heavier again with a multiple of passengers. Although the train would have much lower rolling resistance than the bus and much smaller frontal area and so lower coefficient of drag.

Although this may not be very important with the lower speeds of DARTs and busses, the sheer heft of getting a heavy object moving would be very energy intensive.

I’d also say that the train will accelerate faster and get up to a faster speed on the longer stretches of the track towards Drogheda. 145km/h for the train versus 65km/h for the bus. Not that either of the, are likely to get up to their top speed, but I would say the train is likely to go faster then 65 at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,675 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There will be an extra station at Cross Guns for the Metro, and in the longer term, if Metro West is ever revived, at Porterstown. Would two more stops cancel out any gains?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,675 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Fill in the Royal Canal and they could quad track to Maynooth. As the canal was originally built as a public transport corridor, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Overlooking the fact, that the line is already effectively 4-tracked between Broombridge/Glasnevin and Connolly, this is nonsensical!!!! 3 or 4-tracking between Coolmine and Clonsilla would be a much better choice.

Darts on the West line will use a combination of Connolly/GCD and Spencer Dock, while South-West Darts will use a combination of Heuston Main, Connolly/GCD and Spencer Dock, so appropriate timetabling can leave that section free from conflicts to allow Sligo IC / Longford Commuter trains a good run into Connolly from Glasnevin.

An inbound Dart departs Maynooth, 10minutes later an IC / Commuter departs Maynooth and has a 10 minute run before catching up with the Dart between Coolmine and Clonsilla.

Meanwhile any inbound Dart closer to the city can terminate in Heuston Main or transfer to the Royal Canal line, leaving IC/Commuter a clear run into Connolly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they've had to downgrade sections of the planned greenway because of environmental concerns, it's a nonsense suggestion to think they'd fill the whole canal in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

there was a plan in the 70's to put a motorway along the canal and railway, but it never got off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I think that was the Grand Canal on the Southside. The Royal Canal has very deep cuttings east of Clonsilla, and a huge embankment over the Rye water near Leixlip; not very easy just to lay 2 more tracks alongside the railway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It was the Grand Canal that was to be filled in to become a road. Never happened though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,548 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Both were proposed at various times. Within city bounds only, wouldn't have got as far out as Clonsilla

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

lol why is this mad idea even being vaguely discussed

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/dublin/dublin-news/new-electric-dart-service-with-improved-accessibility-due-next-year/a1039699331.html

I see from this that the charging in Drogdeda will take "less than an hour".

Let's hope this is not true, but the ueusal cr*p reporting from the Indo.

BTW, I don't mean literally "not true", I mean misleading. Less than an hour signifies a lot more than 10 to 15 minutes to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭spuddy

"The new Dart+ trains are to be delivered in September for testing, with the first two improved accessibility and climate-friendly units set to become operational in late 2025."

Is it going to take 14 or 15 months to put the trains into service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

new model requires a lot of testing. Though I also suspect that as IR always updates their timetable in early December they've decided they won't make the 2024 revision, so they can relax and aim for Dec. 2025.

Advertisement