Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,845 ✭✭✭billyhead

Where exactly are all these asylum seekers actually coming from? Last time I checked there wasn't a war in Syria, Iraq or Iran if that's were some of them are from. Ok Palestinians need to flee but where are the rest coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,200 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

much of syria was flattened, the civil war isn't over there as far as i'm aware, but the amount of destruction would have caused millions to leave so some will end up here inevitably

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Is it up to 90% of the asylum seekers are fleeing from Birmingham and Bradford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

• Registered Users Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭suvigirl

You should really try to find out where they are from, if you're going to form an opinion, and I don't mean that critically of you, it's for everyone really. You don't know where they are coming from, or why, nor that they don't need to be fleeing war. I'm not being personal, it's something that everybody should do, educate themselves about these issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Actually no, for a start Denmark never went ahead with the idea.

The Rwanda policy is very much based on Australia's offshoring solution. The Tories even had Australian advisers who had worked on that onboard.

It very much looks though that the Australian policy has been a disaster in every sense. After they introduced it the number of arrivals by boat actually increased. Some months later they introduced a push back system which looks to have been effective, albeit with Australia never actually having had a very large amount of boats arriving.

Australia paid billions to private contractors to hold people in brutal detention centres offshore, only to find many still wouldn't leave. Eventually the remainers were all given right to remain, or de facto have been allowed remain in Australia.

I think there's still compensation cases before the courts from their treatment. The total cost was billions.

I posted references to all this in the other thread, you'll forgive me if I don't go looking for them again.

well they put asylum seekers into accom they wouldn't put irish people into. old offices beside me was turned into IPAS centre, very basic accom with mattresses on the ground etc., i'd assume they'll do this with the baggot street hospital.

irish people, single mothers with their kids etc., are put up in decent temporary accom and in nice hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Simon Harris claiming the Mount Street tents will be cleared and then not allowed to re-emerge there is just an outright lie.

Whenever the marginal supply of accommodation is tight, and they hand out tents at the IPO office on Mount Street along with the 110 euro a week, where are they going to go exactly?

What he is saying would be true only if we never run out of accommodation for any additional group of asylum seekers who enter the State from this point forward. Which proves conclusively that what he saying is a lie.

The only way to get on top of this is to dis-incentivise new arrivals through an openly hostile policy, such as Rwanda. Which we are a million miles from doing.

It's not fit for Irish people, but it's good enough to throw asylum seekers in. I think that's the system

Its a temporary accommodation situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Harris has gone with option 3. He fears the Irish people the least.

Like clockwork, since last night the usual suspects in the media have restarted the failed playbook. The orders went out.

Your now a terrorist, according to them, if you oppose the governments stragedy of dumping the third world in your community to temporarily remove the problem from outside Roderics offices.

Mount Street will be cleared, the riot squad will be brought in to some unfortunate community that is about to have their world turned upside down.

The merry go round will go on untill they are brought down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The old Hospital could have been turned into something that would benefit the local community, a health centre for example.. Or sold off and re-developed as apartments for those who work in the area.. Or as a museum showing its historical value to the city..Even could have been commercially developed as office space..

But no, will be packed out with illegals..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Doesn't matter what party/ministers are in power, the strings are being pulled from Brussels..

"dumping the third world", i really hate that third world rhetoric, they're just people, and irish people would be doing the same if this country was dirt poor with zero opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

When they say 62% of first time applicants in January were refused, does that mean before they utilised their right to appeal?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,143 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Any chance you could tease that out more than the conspiracy soundbite you posted?

Who in Brussels is pulling these strings and for what purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭TokTik

Set up/hire out an ICE like organisation for the shadow economy. Name, shame and massively fine any company that hires illegals. Arrest and deport immediately any illegal working in the shadow economy. Set up a rat line so people can report businesses using illegal workers, have a €50 reward for every illegal found through this line.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭willyvanilla

You simply cannot, under any circumstances, continue to increase the amount of people moving into a country while a housing crisis and every other crisis is at boiling.

You cannot start repurposing and building new accommodation for the extra people while an ever growing share of the native population are chomping at the bit about the impact of no housing.

Make no mistake that there will be 180° turn on the cead mile failte at micro level across the country, immigrants, of every flavour and proclivity and origin are going to get the evil eye and no doubt much worse.

Everyone can yip and yap about nonsensical documents and laws until the cows come home while it gets worse and worse and worse. Just like all the previous years. The message is as simple as this; they had better make it happen. One way or another, make this situation better with the urgency of bloodshed in mind.

What’s the bets that Asylum Seekers when filling out the questionnaire question “how did you arrive here?” …..will now be forgetting the GB & NI route. It’ll be “on a container ship from France”.

It’s all about playing the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,709 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A migrant here is saying immigrants paying up to 1,200 sterling to get from Belfast to Dublin (because they don't know about the daily bus services)

If they have already a claim in another EU state, then they can be sent back there under Dublin regs, now they haven't been working well up to now, but the EU migration pact should deal with that.

The issue is not travelling through UK, it is that the UK left the EU, therefore they are not part of EU deals anymore.

Covid Stopped returns, then there was a High court case, by asylum seekers, looking to stop the state sending then back to the uk. The High Court allowed the case, stating that the UK is unsafe. Government now have to legislate that it is safe. Then returns can continue.

But, of course the UK can refuse to take them.

So, obviously the EU and the UK have to come to some agreement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

Could be tricky. Its in France's interest for the EU to hang Ireland out to dry. We may be on our own with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,709 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

EU "solidarity" can be very fickle when it comes to the interests of Germany and sometimes France.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭nachouser

Irexit lads, it's the only way. We can set up trading treaties with The Isle of Mann.

To put it bluntly …. It’s a **** show. Is Rwanda on Ireland’s safe list? I couldn’t find a full list of safe/unsafe on my quick google

Qatar and UAE are also transit hubs with flights direct to Dublin. Will the same principles apply to asylum seekers that fly in from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Billions and billions and billions and billions...

Speaking of billions , the dept of integration paid out 2.3bn last year alone to companies supposedly housing AS.

So it costs billions regardless of which direction you go but if you build it they will come.

An open air prison off the west coast would deter plenty more than housing them and paying a few hundred a week to hamg around towms harrassing the locals.

Much Better bang for your billion IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Pretty sure the refugees from those areas are white

• Registered Users Posts: 15,143 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

"Speaking of billions , the dept of integration paid out 2.3bn last year alone to companies supposedly housing AS"

Can you post a source for that? It does not sound correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Ha ha ha ha

It must been a while since you were outside your county bounds!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement