Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocaine Destroying Rural Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Detest all the above especially painkillers

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

I saw addiction in weak men early in my life…I saw addiction, I saw and identified weak men who would neither follow or lead. When presented with A or B could not find a third solution and avoided them like the plague.

Mr Compassion…🙄

Yes, you 'saw' addiction, but clearly never understood it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

• Registered Users Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Do you have the strength to ignore pain?

No!!

Had a big injury followed by a series of operations recently. I was on Oxy for a month. Pain was unbearable without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,359 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

At this point I'm pretty sure we're dealing with a troll here (and not one of the better ones to be honest) but it'd be interesting to see a surgeon's reaction to him declining the anesthesia before evasive testicular surgery.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

You find other options other than opiates that burn out your liver and kidneys.

Oh I saw it, I later studied it for three years. It was part of a weak mans escape for poor life choices and having a pigeon holed life looking for easy answers. I came across the same problem myself in life due to shared genetic and I found ways around pain killers.

Funnily my Fiancee mother had a sciatica the night of my engagement party. I solved that problem without the need for either a wheel chair or a tablet. People always looking for the easy answers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Tell us how you cured sciatica in one night.

• Advertisement

After dinner and before he cured cancer, obvs…

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

How do we know it was over a drug debt? How do we know the drug in question is cocaine?

I'm very skeptical about the validity of this, especially considering the heart attack bit. Its all a bit too... convenient. Plus something like that always winds up in the papers, especially local.

That said, I'm not accusing the poster of making it up, but someone did.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

These kind of stories are all over the place in rural Ireland these days, I hear/see them in my own rural town and I also hear them from anybody I deal with in my business in every province in the country. Can everybody be "making it up"? or does it only exist in reality when the likes of RTE decide to tell you that it exists?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Does you hearing them automatically mean they're true.

What's RTE got to do with it…? I specifcally said "local".

Probbaly - certainly believeable unlike the other story.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

Well, when you hear it and literally witness it for yourself, as I have done, you will take to take that into account when you hear dozens of other people tell you the exact same thing from all over the country.

What's RTE got to do with it? You seem to be untrustworthy of what your fellow citizens are telling you up in here. I'm not making it up, and I'd bet my life savings and house that these other posters up in here aren't "making it up" either. Would you believe our accounts if the likes of RTE decided to do a local Nationwide account on the actual Cocaine trade in rural Ireland?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Acupuncture point in the ear is also an epidural point. Never claimed I cured it, i allowed her pain free for the night.

I think it's dangerous to believe what you hear on the street automatically and I hold a healthy degree of skepticism. Keeps me sane.

That said, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

I'm not saying none of this ever happened - I'm saying it's grossly exaggerated (especially the heart attack bit) and there are a lot of suspicious details like, as I said, how do we know it;s drugs? or that the drug was cocaine? As I said earlier, if it was heroin I'd be way more likely to believe it because getting into drug debts with travellers is not something people do lightly and heroin is way more addictive to the point you'd put your safety at risk for a fix that cocaine.

Cocaine is more "more-ish" than addivtive. It;s like the chocolate cake in the fridge in that you keep wanting more when it;s there, but when it's gone its gone. You generally dont go putting your self at risk.

(And PLEASE don't misinterpret that as me saying cocaine is not worse than chocolate cake :) )

• Advertisement

Had your Nth booster? If people only knew the truth about Chemo…… couldnt stop them buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Homelander

I'm the same. I'm in my 30's and I know one person who takes cocaine, and that's a casual friend. My core friend group of around 8 people I know for a fact don't, though they would've dabbled in weed/mushrooms/ecstasy/etc but some of the claims here would have you believe that if you drop into the corner pub in a quiet village, all the John's and Mary's are hoovering cocaine up in the toilets.

I'm not for a second saying cocaine isn't common, in the same way that weed is common, but I sometimes wonder if it's quite as common as is made out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I guess all things are relative. I’m in the same boat as you - it’s probably that cocaine has become a lot more mainstream than what it once was, which was the preserve of the wealthy - so increased consumption certainly - but not to the extent that every second person is taking it .
    2023 statistics state 2.4% of Irish population admit to using cocaine regularly - while that apparently means Ireland is joint 4th globally of users which is extremely worrying, if you look at your own social group, and take your age and demographic into consideration, that statistic might drop considerably for you personally - maybe one in 300 people you may “know” or know of, takes cocaine -

Whereas if I’m in my 20s or 30s I’m probably likely to know a lot more people who have either tried cocaine or who take cocaine regularly - obviously some of that demographic are posting here on this thread - I can inderstand how some might say it’s “rampant” because the reference group these people are associating with are likely to be the greatest consumers of the drug- so their 2.4% statistic is probably more like 24% or higher

https://www.drugsandalcohol.ie/38406/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

No-one to protect us?

Clearly these 2 "sportsmen" voluntarily took cocaine. The idea in this day and age that someone could be oblivious to the potential downsides of cocaine use does not hold water.

For every short term high when it comes to drug taking there is usually a much longer term low.

So no, they don't deserve to be protected, and hopefully they've learned the lesson to never do cocaine again but somehow I doubt they have.

And no the gardai shouldn't waste time on this case.

There's only one route out of this national drugs scourge, Personal Responsibility, and people not acting like 3 year olds ignorng sound advice and then go crying for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Cocaine is a highly addictive drug, no-one doubts that. The best time to break that addiction is before you actually take it for the first time. People need to recognise its dangerous and addictive. Down-playing its effects is not helpful, as people then believe its harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭con___manx1

One thing that bothers me about it all is when I want to use the toilet cubicle to take a shite I have to wait for all the coke heads. Near **** myself one day.

In all seriousness I do see it as a huge problem with young people. It used to be more the younger lads doing it but now the young women are equally as hooked on it.

Don't know how they even afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

What doesn't work with this argument is the huge amount of people that have taken it a few times that didn't have that problem happen.

Warnings like this are counter intuitive. It IS addictive, BUT, it probably won't be the first time that gets you addicted. Regular use, definitely will though! Honestly, it's up there with telling teens that they'll definitely get pregnant after the first time.

Feeling alright there, Judge Dredd? Glad to see you must be in favour of full legalisation of all drugs, so people can exercise personal responsibility.

Again, you could say all thisabout legal drugs.

What doesn't help is the hysterical overreaction that you get hooked and can't stop when the person's own direct experience is to the contrary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

By young people do you mean people in their 20s? Are you close to that age group also? As I’m not I just don’t see it but interested to hear what your estimation is around % number of users in their 20s, assuming you associate with this age group

Advertisement