Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,131 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

At least the eye sores are gone and the poor residents and business can sleep easier at night but this blight of immigration will just be moved to someone else's door and once again the Irish citizen will suffer once more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Is the IPA office being moved though?

its closed temporarily while the clearance occurs, but may reopen.

I could see Citywest or similar becoming the reception centre for all applicants long term. It doesn't make sense to have it in the city centre when the future numbers are unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

"if he gets it" … that's the issue… the only thing this man is fleeing is his wife and six children.

If everyone were like him, multiply our IPA numbers x 7, see how long the country lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭twinytwo

No chance - but you can more or less guarantee they will not be in any areas of the cities where the residents have money/influence or in most ministers constituencies. Even though we are repeatedly told we have no say in who comes into our communities - that seems to only apply to the working class. That reception centre in ballsbridge died a very quick but quite death.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Anyone know how much per day per person?

I was listening to Niall Boylans podcast a few days ago (out of morbid curiosity) and a caller mentioned a family(had to be a family to skirt fire safety rules) of 12 in a house next to her taking in 28k per month based on 90(I think) a day. Is that correct? If so no bloody wonder so many B&B and hotel owners are doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

He says…

I think it is… you will get a house…

He obviously thinks thats what happens if your application is successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭engineerws

I know three working families up for eviction and two more families that were evicted with one going into emergency accommodation and then about 100 miles away removing three from school and another that was under huge stress and had to move 60 miles away and pull their child out of school. I just remembered another family too and haven't seen them in about a year so eviction must have completed for them.

I think the rules need to be modified to ensure better support for families facing homelessness in Ireland.

Fwiw, we moved from Dublin to a more affluent area and there are not similar problems. So many (e.g. wealthy politicians) may think there are not big problems when in fact many families living in Ireland are under huge stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

It's not about throwing hands up in the air — it's about being humble in recognising the enormity and complexity of the issue. This thread is full of people who just want to vilify certain politicians, complain about the status quo, and pine for easy solutions that simply don't exist. This achieves the square root of f**k all. There is no sustainable future for migration policy that is not built on learning to see the sincerity behind the views of those who have different opinions from you. So for those who spend their time on here arrogantly calling others incompetent, or stupid, or unpatriotic, or uncaring of Irish people — I say, enjoy the intellectual masturbation but know that you are part of the reason why problems with migration will persist.

If you want my solution, I will say it time and time again that the interests of all European countries are absolutely aligned in ensuring that the external borders are made more robust through deep and proactive partnership with North African nations and other countries from which migrants are entering illegally. Military/naval/physical infrastructure can only go so far. We need to co-operate with these countries, not give them "aid" or threaten them with punitive measures, but enter deals as equal partners for extensive trade, development, security and (yes) likely offering those countries legal working opportunities for their own citizens in Europe. This also involves heavy assistance to the likes of Italy and Greece and (again, yes) an equitable programe for the sharing of refugee intake across Europe to avoid any one country being disproportionately affected.

I think that's as close as we are ever going to get before we have to start looking at tougher travel restrictions that will affect us all and the reversal to some extent of the ease of international travel. But interests are not aligned on this so it won't last.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

It is absolutely depressing what is happening, people calling this out the last year or more were told they were racist and right wing. How did those idiots in charge both Government and Civil Service not see this coming when everyone else could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭gw80

The Dublin agreement will be scrapped when the pact is in force.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

You'd have to wonder what information is being shared about Ireland and its systems. A lot of people seem to know exactly what to say. We are a soft touch even with our own.

I know people sitting in new builds that never worked a day in their life whilst those of us that work are in this struggle loop to fund it. It's such waste and so frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Sunjava

Id happily accept reduced travel freedom if it meant better controls on who enters a country. Populations sizes dictate that if this is allowed to continue all European countries will be unrecognisable in a generation or two. Slum villages will pop across the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Coach has arrived at Crooksling

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

What's the long term plan to house these 1000's of men and their families?

Build "nouvelle banlieue" around the country to house the new arrivals is the only long term plan as the numbers will rise to 100,000 in the next 5 - 10 years..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Our patriot travelling troublemakers probably caught off Guard. Too early for them.

Isn't Crooksling the place they walked back from before? This could get very embarrassing for the Govt if it happens again.

Ultimately I don't think Harris liked tent city being on Channel 4 and Sky news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭donaghs

I was just thinking that . Sending refugees back across the border, clearing away tent shandy town of vulnerable people, even jailing one Sudanese man for arriving with no documents - aren’t these the policies of “far right extremists” ?

What’s going on? (Maybe common sense, a bit late perhaps though).
    NGOs have their own agenda, and understand will protect their own interests. But all our mainstream media have questions to answer as to why they branded measures like this as “far-right” up till now.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

When I read the comments of certain posters on this thread , I heed it as a warning to do everything I can to deter my son and daughter from choosing certain colleges after school

Just what is being taught that encourages people to cheer on the utter transformation of their own nation ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭twinytwo

In an ideal world this would be fantastic - we do not live an ideal world.

You suggest having to make agreements with at least 14 countries at an EU level. This would take years if not decades to finalise if ever. Lets see how well dealing with Russia/Belarus/Libya goes.

Even if it was achieved, every time one of the countries has a disagreement over something migrants can be used as a tool to try and strong arm the EU.

Bearing in mind the EU haven't bothered with anything like this so far.

And before we even get there what is even the point of creating all these new rules and deals if we do not enforce the ones we currently have.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,801 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

What level of reduction in travel freedom would you be willing to see?

That could be anything from more rigorous checks at boarder control to requiring visa applications entering all EU countries to not letting people into your country at all.

Whatever about the burning and other criminal acts that some engage in fair play to any “traveling patriot” who does no engage in personal hate or the likes. It’s obviously been a massive factor in bringing this all to light.

had it been left to RTE and “independent news and media” we may have never known there was an issue at all(excluding locals). I know my own locality would worry too much about what the neighbors think to stand at a picket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

not sure. I just saw photo of coach pulling up at the gates

I know that is not directed at me but this two things are not a big deal. As EU citizens we could all technically have an open visa in the EU anyway but then again that’s how it works currently, extreme lack of enforcement of borders and quick deportation of bogus asylum claims is the issue I think.

Big deals would include banning flights or not allowing travel to/from certain countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭riddles

well shutting the door to citizenship for anyway illegally entering Europe combined with automatic expulsion is step one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

"more robust through deep and proactive partnership with North African nations and other countries"

You're talking about countries with corrupt and unstable governments, poor human rights records, mass civil unrest. military junta's in power… So building the sorts of relationships you're talking about just isn't realistic..

The message is still out there that the streets of Europe are paved with Gold, peace, prosperity and a better life for the migrant and their families and until that ideal is turned around by EU Governments then people will still risk their lives everyday to get here.. And once they land on European shores there's food, shelter and medical attention that no matter how bad it looks to us is still 1000 times better than where some of them have come from…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭baldbear

Virgin media journalists will give them a lift back into town to make another story out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I think it's more than just travel and physical restrictions which would be required. I think a big factor in the increase in migration in recent decades is ease of accessing information pretty much about anywhere in the world. Even back in the 80's, which is as far back of my personal experience of emigration from Ireland goes, Irish people for the most part moved where a family member, or somebody from their locality, had become established. It was a common pattern for somebody from a village, once settled, to take in a flow of people from their homeplace, helping them to get jobs, accommodation, bank accounts etc set up.

All that can be done so easily now, and for people coming to live undocumented etc, networks are and will be in place to offer, or promise these things, and to help transport or smuggle somebody into their country. Australia for all that they've been able to physically control people coming to their country are now struggling with 'almost industrial-scale' criminal enterprises exploiting immigration.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-04/immigration-visa-compliance-crackdown/102932864

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Oh don't get me wrong — I think it's going to be bloody hard and I don't think the issue is ever going to go away fully. That's part of the reason why I also tend to believe that we do need a more conciliatory approach to those migrants and asylum seekers who do end up here — and not have people vilifying them at every turn and obsessing over every wrong thing any migrant ever did. The impossibility of actually tackling the issue perfectly means we also have to make the best of migration, instead of eternally kicking and screaming at it.

I have said before on this very thread that our proximity to countries openly hostile to Western interests is a reality we are stuck with, for now at least — and our geopolitical situation is probably the most challenging of any part of the developed world (something that those who hail the US, Australia and Japan need to recognise). The very things you mention in your post are the very things people should remind themselves of, to get themselves out of their little dream that migration problems are little more than the outcome of happy clappy lefties who want to save the world and NGOs or whatever other bogeyman. The issue is simply, and unavoidably, incredibly difficult.

But what I will say is that my view on it, in my own opinion, is one that you can actually get the European nations aligned on (something which is harder to achieve when it comes to, say, deportation cooperation and closing internal EU borders). And if you can get pan-European alignment on it, things become a lot more workable.

Advertisement