Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bus station at redeveloped Colbert Station

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

LOL, no I didn't miss the new construction :) I was talking about the bus yard. The new concourse looked smartened up when I was there, and I hope more people use the station and don't trash it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,039 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The bus yard with the red shelters is gone now. It's being converted into parking.

It being gone and replaced by a new station is essentially the whole point of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 nigra

The bike parking is now in, at the side over by the old bus station. In fairness the overhang from the roof will keep the bikes out of the rain and the stands are the Sheffield type which are pretty robust. I was pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

Unfortunately those stands are too close to the wall, will only suit 'standard' bikes, look like they can be lifted out of the ground with a key, are still in a relatively hidden and non-secure location and make the benches inaccessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,039 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya I was thinking the same about the key thing. The seats are pretty redundant anyway but it still works looks stupid. I wouldn't say hidden though because that will become the busiest section of the car park.

It all kinda looks like they still really don't get it though. I'm gonna hazard a guess that whoever put them there and the station in general have never heard of "last km" commuting.

There are some lockers inside platform 4 that can be rented by long term subscription but the ideal solution is to have some Sheffield stands in there. People have been locking to the railings there for years because it has long ago been figured out as the safest place.

I'm not saying we need this many but I would be familiar with Marylebone and Paddington which both have bike spaces beyond the ticket check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

They definitely don't get it. I came across this Arup report last week and it's a great read. Would be good if the powers that be in IR had a look at it. https://www.arup.com/-/media/arup/files/publications/a/active_train_stations.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭sleepyman

Just wondering are these finished?As another poster mentioned a general shop would be a good addition in the station.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The large retail unit on the right as you enter looks to be finished awaiting a tenant and fitout. The one on the left where the ticket office used to be is still under construction.

They've also installed a second set of automatic doors inside the lobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Passed through at the weekend. Nice job but definitely need to change the old and very shabby perspexs in the main part of the station. A lot more light needed.

Guessing its not in the plan though but it would make a huge difference

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I'm surprised at that. I'm sure it was part of the original plans along with reopening and glazing the arch above Starbucks

• Advertisement
Advertisement