Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

They come through in tiny numbers compared to here and are made feel unwelcome as they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭twinytwo

As much as i dislike Roderic, and yes his tweets did not help. His department is doing what they are being asked to do ( you can consider this to be right or wrong). This entire thing lies squarely at feet of the justice department and Fine Gael who have held the position of justice minister for the last 13 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭scottser

All the anti-immigrant voices on here are missing a trick.

Invite loads of immigrants here, and conscript them into a militia. They will form a meat-wave for when we invade the North and reclaim it. For the Unionists that remain, sure we can just do a Gaza on them - Israel has shown you can do whatever you like and nobody will dare stop you.

Then when we have the North we can lop the green and orange bits off the flag and have a lovely, pure and unadulterated white one..

/s/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

You must be a mindreader like me! Unless that man is a brain surgeon (which he could be) he won't be getting a 4 bedroom house without serious state assistance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I am absolutely not trying to say that this is always going to work — treaties and agreements between developed countries often fail to work properly (the Dublin protocols a fine example) — never mind those with the developing world. In fact I am saying the opposite — it will be a perpetual issue requiring re-think after re-think for the rest of our lives and the rest of human existence.

If the agreements fail, they fail, and we are back to the point of having to rely on deportations that we can't always ensure. But if the agreements make some difference, even for a while, until such times as you can re-think, then they are worthwhile. And you simply keep trying to co-operate with origin countries because this is more or less all you can as punishment and even aggression can only last so long and ultimately only encourage the factors that actually make people leave those countries.

There is no eternally sustainable solution to any of this however. That's something people will need to make peace with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I'm sure Aubrey and his Tiglin helpers will be there to welcome them back and give them new tents and sleeping bags. As much part of the problem as anything and need to be defunded. They can then do a whip around on the streets and see what ordinary people will give them and what support they really have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I mean another example I can think of is on the border with Egypt and Gaza… The Egyptian Govt. won't allow any refugees across the border, so if there closest geographically and culturally similar neighbours won't take them what chance have the EU of arranging deals to process and house migrants?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The problems with migration exist because we have an elite doo-gooder class that do not have to live with the consequences of their decisions.

Asylum problems can be solved very easily if the State actually had the stones to stand up to these people and actually take a much harder approach. The truth is the vast majority are bogus and ipas know they are bogus but the system has hamstrung it's own ability to deal with these applicants.

Quite frankly, anyone who has transited a safe country should need to prove a compelling reason for choosing Ireland. If they can't do that, then they stay out of the system. Without accommodation, work and welfare the numbers would reduce to a trickle.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

Medical card? I've spent hundreds this month on healthcare.

You think they'll be working paying a mortgage in their lifetime in this country?

My arse.

• Advertisement

Fair enough but you don't seem to be willing to tell me what not being soft on it actually means and you don't seem to be willing to describe to me what conditions we should put asylum seekers in to make the thought of giving Ireland try so utterly unbearable that they wouldn't dream of it. People who feel they don't have much to lose by giving it a go aren't going to be deterred by having to tough it out or rough it out. Some time on the street in a relatively safe country like Ireland? Grand. A stint in a detention centre? OK. The threat of deportation? Back to square one but it was worth a go. Send me to Rwanda? Sound, it was a worth a try and I'll just get out of Rwanda at some point anyway.

I don't know how rough you'd have to make conditions to put these people off.

Really? I think you're badly out of tune with public sentiment not just in Ireland but also in the UK and across the EU.

We are a sovereign nation and with a substantial majority 80%+ of the population that considers we have a migration problem and must do something about it.

You should be part of the solution, not defending an utterly dysfunctional system that is clearly not fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

The other night there was an Iranian gentleman on bbc news night who successfully claimed asylum in the UK last year. He said it cost £3000 just to cross the channel. The people coming from that route aren’t in destitute if they can afford that.

I don't quite understand your point here. But even at that, the Gaza Egypt example is a complex one that has an ideological motivation behind it in addition to the practical motivation (ie, they don't want to be seen as facilitating what the Arab world sees as the attempted ethnic cleansing of Muslims from the region etc).

There are hundreds of thousands of refugees in Egypt by the way, which further reinforces the point above as to the particular ideological motivation regarding Gaza.

What about the likes of Saudi Arabia, very wealthy, sit at the top tables of state. Do they help out in terms of sheltering migrants, even those of similar culture??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭TokTik

Our government is just offshoring our climate crap. Closed down Bogs then importing cheap peat from other countries.

The village/town I’m from has a farmer who sells fresh veg from his yard. Fresh from the field most mornings. Family have been farming here in probably the best growing soil in the country. He’s currently facing an €80k tax bill because the local council zoned his fields residential. We’ve one road in and out of the place, chock a block with cars because of the amount of houses built on farmland with zero infrastructure to go with it and more planning all over the place. Where is our food meant to come from if all the growing land is concreted over?? It’s a ticking time bomb. We need less people in Ireland, not more. We are a society first, and an economy second. The government has this arse to front.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭engineerws

If you listened to Brendan O'Carroll on Sunday, you might have been gob smacked like me.

It's harsh but given there is already 4,000 homemess kids, the new process could be assess everyone on application. If they fail that's it, no appeals.

That's an example of not being soft. Maybe it's too harsh but since you're asking the question, there's a potential answer. It feels like you're being deliberately obtuse, surely as an adult you could think of similar harsher approaches?

Point is what I stated originally, that facilitating stable agreements on immigration with North African/Middle Eastern countries is going to be far from reliable and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I'm not 'out of tune' with anything, nor am I defending anything.

I am pointing out the realities that you just want to ignore.

You might want the country and its agents to break the laws, they won't be doing that.

You might want Ireland to be the first country to tear up the Geneva convention, they won't be doing that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Ah but a year ago Helen, her colleagues and supporters/cronys were busy with their "international obligations" or looking for the "far right" and racists hiding under beds. They can't be looking at the immigration crisis while denying it and labeling anyone who says otherwise just to silence people.

This is typical of government, they are always slow to react and only when it becomes a crisis or if their seats are under threat will they make decisions. If they tackled these things head on at the start and nipped it in the bud it would be better for all. It is the same with the Mica issue, they knew about that more than a decade ago but did nothing and now peoples houses are crumbling and still they dither, where as if that was dealt with when first reported it would have saved a lot of heart ache and money.

Also it is not this government but most governments in this country all act this way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭brickster69

It is not much use if the leaders are not part of that 80% though is it ? It is not something that just appeared, it has been going on for years and getting worse but nothing changes. What is the actual aim of it all, because i can't possibly see any of this being a positive outcome.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭pauly58

Posters have said I can't see what we can do, it's easy, start deporting them. A Government that can dump 60 odd billion of unsecured bondholders debt on us could sort that with no problem. Never mind emergency legislation to send them back to the UK, that's a non starter, pick a country, preferably where you originated but in any case you're not staying here.

Posters like Kaiser & myself were saying last year, this wasn't going to end well, absolutely no plan, the start of the mess was taking all of them from Ukraine, men as well. We should have decided exactly who we were going to take, not the other way round of where was safe.

McEntee reminds me of Mary Coughlan, not a clue but she had to take Daddy's seat.

I'm quite happy to let others on this thread be a judge of your claim that your regular postings are not 'out of tune' with anything, nor defending anything.

Can't see the encampment returning to Mount Street and environs this time. Jim O'Callaghan TD not a happy bunny.

But surely the Phoenix Park would be perfect, close to city and loads of space to establish a large community.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

It's amazing the amount of support Irexit gets on this thread, as well as admiration for the Tories.

Does that not indicate you guys are in something of an echo chamber?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

Brian Dobson talking shite on rte now, asking were the people on mount street “given a choice” about where they were going or if they wanted to stay where they are. I don’t know why when government representatives come on air try to answer or defend these type of questions. Maybe rte would like to take them in…?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

why should we turn a beautiful park and green space used and enjoyed by many into a no go **** hole of a refugee camp?

Nah, Herbert Park or the Grounds of RTE would be much closer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

so from a tent city to a tent countryside just like before St Patrick’s Day in March - whilst the Gardai will prevent new tents in mount st, there’s a lot more places around Dublin to pitch a tent - and anyway IF more people come in from the UK, where are they going to go?
    It’s pass the parcel stuff at this stage

• Advertisement
Advertisement