Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭brickster69

What about the politicians offer a spare bedroom at their home for a few months ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

RTE are in on it and were likely told to ask that question as it makes the government stance seem tough on asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Well, if you think I'm being obtuse, I can tell you now that I have no problem with your proposal to have no appeals — obviously so long as the initial process is fair. But the reason I don't oppose it is because really I don't think it actually makes much difference aside from an administrative saving maybe. That's because whether they are rejected at first stage or an appeal stage, it's how you actually deal with the rejected person which is the troublesome point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭twinytwo

I'll revisit my reply to you on this topic from a previous post. The same questions are being asked different ways. I do not mean make conditions physically terrible, I mean we need to have a much more robust approach to what is for the most part economic migration disguised as seeking asylum. If people know they have little chance of not being returned home they will stop coming.

At the very least you have to agree that the status quo cannot continue. You ask me what not being soft actually is? I would consider almost anything an improvement on our current policy/system.

Extract from previous post (see post #17638 for context):

As we currently have to process asylum seekers in the country and we are not a charity for everyone looking a better life:

• Abolish the right to remain. If the courts, IPO/IPAT have decided someone cannot stay, the justice minister should not be able to overrule this.
    • Enforce deportations out of the EU, no self deportations. ( everyone is fingerprinted (i know they are already)- a failure in any EU country should prevent an application in another - no point in allowing failed applicants to bounce around the EU. If home countries refuse, set above.)
    • Remove the right to work - the asylum system should not be seen as an alternative to the visa system.
    • Quicker decisions and remove the ability to tie the court up for years with appeals etc.
    • Limit access to welfare/Healthcare/education/housing etc.
    • Limit access to citizenship.
    • Committing of any crime is a bar to application and automatic deportation.
    • Anyone who comes in via NI is an automatic rejection/deportation.
    • Anyone arriving without documentation is an automatic rejection/deportation.
    • Limit the number of applications per year

And I would add to this all claim decisions should have to be attended in person. If denied, detained. No slinking off into the gig economy.

And I agree with you entirely. But there is no reliable and easy solution and this is why I would like to see the national conversation on this pushed to a higher and healthier level. Because from that you might get the rise of future political figures who have better rounded and less ideologically entrenched vision for the future of migration policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

They should have been sent to Montrose, plenty of space out there to set up a camp site and then they could use the RTE canteen and other facilities there are well.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Many RTE shows have been trolling over the last year, soft interviews with AS on the streets etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Whatever the solution is, it must be centred on capacity.

Nobody is talking about that.

People talk about faster processing times, yet faster processing times of succesful applicants leads to GREATER demand on housing and infrastructure, not less.

Capacity is the question nobody will answer.

How much accom and services do we have available to IPAs each year and how many will arrive.

Didn't he get the government memo? Irish people have no say where they go, neither do the immigrants.

• Advertisement

That's all fine — I mean, I don't necessarily agree with all of that — but there is one overarching issue with all of it: it all relies on an effective, reliable system of deportation.

If you keep asylum seekers out of work, OK, but if you can't deport them then they become an economic burden that is not allowed to work. If you abolish the right to remain, grand, but if you can't deport them it effectively ends up being the same thing. Et cetera et cetera.

So everything you say there, in order for any of it to be a deterrent, you need the deportation system to be reliable and effective — otherwise none of those deterrents are really deterrents at all. So that's the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

well ideally once processed the bogus would be ejected from the country thus solving the capacity.

You are right though we should be capping on the genuine AS also.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭engineerws

That's not my proposal. It's a potentially less soft approach that you were requesting.

In terms of where we would go with such an option. It'd probably be self deport but it would mean the state would not have to provide accommodation which would enable them to focus more on the homeless children.

I don't know the best option. The are a multitude of options going softer and harder. We could skip the current process and go for a soft approach so that everyone arriving claiming asylum is granted asylum. I don't know the best approach but the current homeless figures https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/291514/ad110785-912f-4e64-a83b-f82262017212.pdf#page=null and especially those of children seem very wrong to me.

Also, and I feel bad for saying this but I'd rather the entire East coast wasn't concreted over too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

without knowing how many succesful applicants there are, even processing and deporting 100% of bogus applicants in 60 seconds does not resolve the accomodation needs of the succesful applicants.

Thats why capacity is key.

We expect around 25k IPAs this year.

Assume 50% are succesful. We need to accomodate 12,500 IPAs through 2024.

Approx 1,000 people a month require accomodation and infrastructuee supports.

If the govt cannot provide a rolling stock of 1,000 newly available beds each month across 2024, we have breached capacity and people are on the streets.

The 12,500 unsuccesful applicants could be deported instantly. It would not matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The vast majority would be rejected though. Likely. Leaving free space for the few genuine ones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

The more than 70 years old Geneva conventions are not fit for purpose and need a complete overhaul. The sentiments which they’re based on may have had merit post World War II but the worldwide population has skyrocketed since.
    Politicians hide behind “international obligations” but you never hear them say that they’re lobbying for changes or bringing up the subject on a UN level.

Correct - but not being able to deport failed applicants cannot be an option either. How we deal with countries refusing to take back their people should be straight forward. Offer them the carrot or the stick. In whatever form that might have to take. The EU approach to this is far too soft - removing access to visas etc isn't really going to do much.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Lofidelity

Interesting piece earlier on Pat Kenny. Reporter Barry White says in July 23 he discovered at that time 75% of applications were made in person at Mount St. So Government were aware for a long time but only now are taking any action. He replayed a question to McEntee at the time where she gave a vague answer, all office speak but no detail.

He also played a clip of interviews with applicants. They all freely admit they crossed from the UK. One even had a mild Scottish accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

that’s a good idea actually,

a flight and a wad of cash while being added to a no entry list to get back in.

Then again would that list encourage folks currently in the uk / France to do their best to get here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

What % of asylum seekers are successful? Where are the planes leaving Ireland to bring back unsuccessful applicants?

Asking for permission to remain in the state has a yes /no outcome. If we’re not saying yes, then we need to get our act together on deportations - it’s not a nice thing I know, but we can’t say yes to everyone and but part of this problem is that we’re just not doing what we’re supposed to be doing in the first place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

No. Pointed that out yesterday and found it very strange. They focused more attention on a sword attack in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭engineerws

Just looked at the figures for homeless. We appear to be at a new all time high of adults + child dependants.

13,866 March versus 13,841 in Feb

Number of child dependant homeless increased from 4,147 to 4,170

Except there has been no reports this time ? e.g.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/number-of-homeless-people-in-ireland-reaches-13531-in-another-record-1592824.html

It's actually shocking. I just checked Jan report and the same method yields 13,531

Homeless children has increased from 4,027 Jan —> 4,170 Mar

This is insane to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭DaithiMa

There's been a couple of mentions of Kippure Manor on the thread, came across this article from a couple of days ago.

The accommodation that was built specifically to house refugees/IPAs on the site was constructed with no planning permission. '22 unauthorised structures including 14 two storey split level houses' to be precise.

Yet, the government has paid the companies involved in the illegal construction of these buildings eye watering sums of money to accommodate the refugees. Sinead Fennelly and Carol Dwyer are directors of various companies that have been paid over 30 million for providing the state with accommodation, including the site in Kippure.

Is there any wonder we have a very vocal minority telling us that there's nothing that can be done to stem the flow when you see the amount of money that's involved in what has basically become the refugee industry. Who needs tourism eh! All aboard the IPA gravy train.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Lofidelity

I heard most of that interview too. O'Gorman also says as Ukrainians leave some hotels will return to public use but others will instead be used for asylum seekers.

He said absolutely nothing about any attempt to reduce the numbers arriving. The only way I can see that happening is a change of government.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

regardless of government in charge it starts with a plan and the word “How?”

Unless an alternative party can clearly lay out a plan that works it will simply be empty promises - this should be an all party solution anyway as there’s very few “right” ways to go about this regardless of what your party politics is

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

You need to understand that media in Ireland are speaking to other members of their own media tribe when they utter stuff like " were the squatters in the middle of Dublin asked if they wanted to move "

That the vast majority of radio listeners find such a question daft is irrelevant

It's about reassuring your tribe that you hold the right opinions and this Dobbo is not pleased about these folks being ushered along

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I'm not suggesting we should set up an encampment in the Phoenix Park. I just saying that when the lads look at Google maps on their phones, it won't take too long to figure this is a prime spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Just watching Sky News and they're showing coverage of the UK Police detaining illegal immigrates in preparation for deporting them.

This is what I love to see in Ireland, just to see something been done would put my mind at ease some what

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Barry White is a fantastic journalist, one of the few who isn't a slave to virtue signalling

• Advertisement

This whole Geneva Convention thing is something I've heard being said a few times. I don't particularly understand what the argument is — or rather what you actually think changing it or withdrawing from it would achieve.

Change the definitions and people will just claim they fit within the new definition anyway. OK you reject them regardless. Or you withdraw from Geneva entirely and reject people on the basis that Ireland does not recognise the concept of refugee. Excellent. But either way, the rejection does not make the person disappear in a puff of smoke. You still have to actually physically deal with them.

At the end of the day, refugees existed before the Geneva Convention existed, and would exist regardless of whether it stays, goes or changes.

Advertisement