Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young losing their IQ advantage over old ( the Times )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭randd1

I put it down to a lack of effort being put into getting the ride of a Saturday night.

Lads used to have their wits about them. Women definitely had to have their wits about them.

Now they just get messed up on cocaine, have a flirt over snapchat, and then have a fumble down an alleyway.

No conversation, no thinking, no effort required. That's where they're falling down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's not clear: "The three-part study reviewed evidence from 60 independent research papers"

the study was done in the UK, but it does not state where the research in the 60 research papers was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭Shoog

Yes seeing the actual text it quite clear that the headline misrepresents the actual study in a fundamental way. Looks like a sort of culture wars kids are not what they used to be puff piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭yagan

I read an interesting article about the differences between curriculums in the UK and Ireland and how the UK system doesn't prepare students for change, in that at 15 they can choose just three O levels to prepare for Uni, and later life.

I don't know the particulars, maybe someone who went through that system can enlighten us here, but I was struck by how poor her classmates were on basic maths, mental calculations that were easy for us required them to hit their smartphones, and they were on a science course.

I had the same experience in Australia in a trading job where I could make quick mental calculations on the spot and be thought of as a wizard by young aussie grads.

The thing I found most challenging in both countries was how lacking in interest in working in other countries most graduates were. Maybe it was a confirmation bias where being surrounded by foreign students, including my wife might lead to belief that this was as good as it got.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wouldn't say it's fundamental in that it's not an outright falsehood; it's more an issue of spin than misrepresentation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Yet while all the big tech firms place their EMEA HQs in Ireland, they manage their R&D and AI units in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭threeball

Regardless of whether IQ is a good metric of intelligence, it's quite evident that younger generations aren't quite a clued in as the ones who went before them. I find, you have to spoon-fed them in order to get something done or a project complete. If it strays anywhere outside of anything they do repetitively day to day there is zero initiative or an ability to work out a solution. Its lift the phone and ask how to get round the issue or just stop completely.

There's more evidence of this dumbing down that just IQ tests

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Its been going on a while now that GEN Z hate phone calls and wont make phone calls. Seems to be an anxiety thing:

https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/health-and-wellness/call-declined-why-gen-z-won-t-pick-up-the-phone-20220920-p5bjkf.html

Also its apparently uncool to leave a voice mail on the phones answering machine system. So yes, get the call but dont expect a message left if you miss that call

https://www.rd.com/article/phone-etiquette-mistake/

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/feb/29/gen-x-voice-notes-podcast-phone-message

a friend of mine recently did a postgrad cyberpsychology course and one thing he was telling me is that there's been a measurable rise in perfectionism over the last few decades. whether that's the rise in helicopter parenting, the effect of social media, etc. is still not decided AFAIK.

but it doesn't just express itself as a desire to complete a job to perfection, say; it also causes a fear of starting a job in case it goes wrong. of course, me being of my generation, i wonder is that the effect of social media at work.

• I think you're confusing intelligence as it related to "IQ" and a poor work ethic.

They aren't the same thing.

I agree with you on the poor work ethic / spoonfed part though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

I worked in the public libraries, way back in the early 80s a family and their neighbours from a certain road in Terenure were all members of Mensa, staff were told the 3 month old baby was too. Almost entire end of the road was filled with members of Mensa, all of whom who could circumvent borrowing limitation by decree of City Librarian who was a friend of the head bottkewadher in Mensa, who lived on that road. I’m sure there were some very intelligent people, but it was a complete farce the way the babe in arms was deemed to have an IQ of 150+.

Interestingly, Brendan O’Carroll is a card carrying member of Mensa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭yagan

Isn't Shannon increasingly hosting r&d relocations since brexit?

My wife's work involves developing medical devices and slowly UK partners are being phased out of the process and replaced with EU options.

No big tech industry want employees with initiative, they want highly technically skilled people who can follow procedures to the absolute letter. If an employee deviates in the slightest way then an exception procedure is initiated and this brings with it huge employee stress.

So perfectionism of a certain type is an absolute necessity for a big tech employee - if you haven't got it you will be out the door in short measure.

Work ethic is off but even after receiving either a guiding hand or a chewing they are incapable of figuring it out for themselves. There's no lateral thinking, its either linear or its nothing. Anything outside of bog standard, seen it before basics and its like you asked them to work through some quantum physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Gary_dunne

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

The old man yelled at the cloud because he read on facebook that the cloud was a 5G tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Phone calls are incredibly inefficient, I work 90% in emails for communications. It’s easy to prove what was said and far faster than talking on the phone. Most people working do this regardless of their generation.

100%. In the majority of industries now phone calls are actively discouraged due to no audit trail of what information has been discussed. Try showing an auditor your phone call history and see how well that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Yip agree .. i mainly use email, WA, messenger with my clients. BUT I do have people who call also & if i am with someone else and dont answer its handy to be left a voice mail or a text. The reason I say this is because of a thing outside this threads subject. Of late ( last 6 months or more inc today ) I get "legit" 087, 086 etc calls which I see have rung me when I look at the phone post meeting etc, no voicemail or text .. ring back saying I missed your call to find they never rang me, never heard of me and are up the other end of the country. It seems there is a spoofing scam thing going on and the comms companies can do nothing about it, it is extremely annoying.

Well done for pulling up one of the most overused memes on the Internet and proving my point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭nachouser

The kids aren't alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

That’s purely because you’re using one of the most overused stereotypes of the younger generation, “they’re all lazy and want everything handed on a plate for them”.

For context, I’m 31, had my first job at 14, did well in school, went to college and left after 18 months as the course wasn’t for me. Worked consistently in different jobs. Went back to college at 27 and did a 3 year degree while working full time. 9 hours work followed by 3 hours after in the college, got a 1st and in a so called good job now.
    There were many in my degree around my age in a similar situation and I’m just sick of hearing how “lazy” us younger people are.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

That might be true in certain kinds of manufacturing of high value products, but it's definitely not true in other domains like software or any kind of product design, which are still to a significant extent people oriented business. Technical skill and attention to detail are still critically important, but so is initiative, and creative thinking ability to solve problems.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,861 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So, this is just another bashing young people thread? The fixation is a little weird, I have to say.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

That's true. Emails or else that strange hybrid that is instant messaging, like Slack. You even get people then scolding you for trying to use instant messaging in a phone-call style. The young have just grown up without much use of the phone (for calls) and don't know how to use it. Another thing that's going to wither in the same way, is hand-writing. The last time I wrote something other than my signature, was the Christmas card list and I couldn't believe how hard it was.

https://nohello.net/en/

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

There's a certain irony in a thread full of people insulting the intelligence of younger people based off an article the didn't read properly.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

(the Times) They Are a-Changin'

• Advertisement

The Times has descended into a pit of pandering to the outrage of the elderly.

It's quite depressing to visit the UK and see how much the demographic has shifted towards angry old people who have stopped contributing anything useful to the country other than spending.

Advertisement