Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Zoe, i3 or other?

Options
  • 01-05-2024 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭

Looking at getting a second Ev for primarily a short commute. 50k round trip daily with a 100km round trip once a month. Was thinking a Zoe but i3 was also mentioned. We already have a Tesla M3 for the longer spins and budget is 8k. Thanks.

☀️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭insular1

Im in a very similar boat myself so will follow this with interest. Had originally ruled out the Nissan leaf and Zoe due to reading about issues with battery degradation but reading more about it these issues it's seems to just be with the leaf? How do Zoe batteries hold up over time?

I love the Hyundai Ioniq but prices on those seem to be holding steady at 12k mark or so with the odd one dropping to 10k.

Also love the i3 but unfortunately not practical for family of 5.

I'm also considering a Kona due to the range boost over all the above, but hard to justify the price increase for a car that will rarely do over 150km.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭allinthehead

The zero Ncap rating on the Zoe is putting me off. We drive on the N25 everyday and the amount of deaths on that stretch of road between Castlemartyr and Little Island is staggering.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭insular1

Hadn't actually considered that at all. My use case is mostly 80km/hr country roads. Rarely any accidents but some absolutely stupid driving on rare occasions. I'll have to take a look at the NCap ratings for the other and factor that into the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,347 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Zero NCAP is only on the newer models, the earlier models were a little bit better (but not great)

Also your budget is tight at €8k maximum. Be hard to get a Zoe (40), an i3, an eGolf or an Ioniq for that. But if you never need more than 100km, a 30kWh Leaf will do.

Thanks, I do have some wiggle room in the budget for the right car. What would the range be on the leaf?

☀️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭KLF

Have a 2019 i3s which is now mainly used by the missus. We have had it for about 3 years, class runaround car.

Drives like an electric go-cart and is surprisingly spacious inside. I'd recommend the 42kw/120AH version which is from 2018 and on.

Edit - Saw your budget is 8k, you won't be able to get the 120AH for that but if it's just for short commute then you could live with the previous version, 94AH, or even 60AH.

BMW was trying to make AH work instead of kw hence those figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The Zoe us a very safe car structuraly. Don't that rating put you off. Its just because it did not have all the modern safety electronics on it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I'd do well to get one for 8k even to be honest. It's a cool looking thing, would make a great second car.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

You're not gonna get 94 Ah for 8k. With a good negotiation, you could get a 60 Ah for it. But it won't do a 100 km roundtrip without charging en route or serious range anxiety.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

If you stretch the budget a bit, you could bag yourself a Leaf 40. Should be able to get one for 9k, or very near. Double the range you need. Very comfortable and reliable car. Take it over a Zoe any day. The cheapest one at the moment is from a dealer at 9.45k. That's a 9k car easy. Likely less if you can haggle. It's the premium coldpack version too.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-2018-premium-cold-pack-40kw/32635604

Stay Free

• Advertisement

From the other thread:

You won't find many ZE40s with battery leases as they stopped leasing here around 2017 (it's buried in the Zoe thread). We got a ZE40 a few years back. Great little runabout for a second car with loads of range for its price. Easily does 150-180km, and can be pushed to 200km in good conditions. The trade-off with the i3 is the tiny range. I had a preference for an older i3 but the other half preferred the practicality of the Zoe with more range and a bigger boot for shopping. That said, the i3 is a technical marvel of engineering.

Unless the poster meant the 60 Ah then the 94 Ah has the same range really, you could do 220+ km in summer on 80 roads if you know how to regen, but in winter time it's similar 150 km at motorway speeds perhaps. The 120 Ah has 28% more range but costs at least 5k more than the 94 Ah or 10k more than the 60 Ah.

The i3 is much bigger inside than the Zoe and has a better satnav.

Not sure if all Zoes and all i3's have a CCS fast charging - something to consider. On the other hand, the i3 can do 11 kW AC while Zoe can do 22 kW AC, makes a difference only if one has 22 kW access (like at work).

Chademo is a big minus and Type1 too, the latter matters less, but Chademo is a big minus. Why I went for a CCS car back in 2020 when things started moving to CCS.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

For all that, the new hub in Carrickmines has an equal number of Chademo plugs as CCS. It's going to be around for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

No need for the culchie inferiority complex, I'm outside the Pale too. 🤣

I haven't seen any Chademo chargers being pulled up by the roots around me. In fact there's a new unit not yet live in a town near me with a Chademo on it.

There must still be thousands of Chademo cars in the country. A quick check on DD lists over 500 Leafs.

Ah 😁, I genuinely meant it in practical terms if OP wanted to venture out and about, it could be a tad harder with Chademo. Yes, they are there, but there's way more CCS.

☀️

Wouldn't be a bad shout, that one's a cat D though.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭vicM

RE: CCS vs Chademo - Im going to say it may not matter much as max the OP is looking to go on this car is 100 Kms round trip. Already said they have a longer range EV for longer trips

Personally Id go for the i3. Mrs has one and I personally prefer the drive and power delivery compared to both the Zoe and Leaf. Infact I prefer its drive to a lot of more recent EVs

CCS/Chademo, OK if that's the case.

The i3 is a sporty car and has one pedal driving. Very lovely car indeed. Unique one.

• Advertisement

Not I'm aware of. It doesn't matter much just that you can't use the same AC charging cable for Nissan and Tesla while you can for the i3 and Tesla. Minor inconvenience. I just mentioned it so that you're aware.

☀️

It's a second car for local journeys. OP has a Model 3 for main car, like myself. I also have a Leaf 40 as the second family car….Leaf 24 until very recently infact. The CHAdeMO is a non issue for the use case described and there are plenty of CHAdeMO around still, with new ones still going in. When I bought my Leaf 2 last month in Cavan, there was a new CHAdeMO and CCS chargepoint just off the main road.

Leaf 40 is a Type 2, not type 1. Even if it were a type 1, like the L24 or 30, there are adapters for less than €100 for them.

Stay Free

Correction - only the 24 & 30 kW Leafs had Type 1 port. The 40 kWh has a Type 2 port - so no issue with tethered.

But it's moot unless you're considering a 30 kWh Leaf, given the 40 kWh is a write-off. 30 kWh Leaf is within the budget.

Yes, there is, for under €100. However, the Leaf 40 is a Type 2, so no need. You can use the same charge point you use on the M3.

Stay Free

I didn't see that. Good spot. Still, you won't have much trouble getting one for 9-10k. I looked at anything priced up to 14k and worked out how I could knock a few grand off.

Stay Free

A 40kWh is outside of budget only if the asking price is paid. Plenty of these cars have been up for months. Someone shaking a fist full of 50s in the region of 9k will bag a 40 Leaf without much trouble.

Stay Free

• Advertisement

Potentially. There are a few under the 12k asking price that have been up for over 2 and 3 months. There's one there with an asking of 12.5k and I bet the seller is kicking herself she didn't accept my offer of 10.5k.

Car needed over a grand spent on it because the charger door actuator wasn't working and it needed a bushing done because Nissan only replaced one for the NCT. I was going to take it as seen and fix the actuator myself. No way in hell she will get near her asking price despite it being a Tekna with all the extras. Paint needs some attention too.

Stay Free

Advertisement