Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our dog is constantly barking non stop

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

She goes to the vet for kennel cough shots and other things. I don't think my wife discussed it specifically but the vet always checks her over. I think it's laziness because she doesn't go to the toilet in the kennel. She goes outside the kennel in the run

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

The dog sounds miserable stuck out in the garden all day and night. It sounds like you don't even bring it for a walk. The dog is probably slowly going insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,139 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Let the dog roam free

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

why have you got the dog ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

That first sentence sounds very sinister. I don't think you should own animals.

• Advertisement

She's probably not happy to be outside. She's walked regularly last walk was 8pm

you might be reading it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭POBox19

@Ginger83

I have one of these, Shitzu/Bichon, gorgeous dog very friendly, loyal, compassionate, loves people and company. They are very determined and persistent, dogs that know what they want, will take you for a walk were they decide which way to go.

Mine gets very excited when he meets people he knows and starts singing in a doggy way. I'm his third home and have him 7 years. He came with a reputation for barking a lot. I realised he was nervous and needed a lot of reassurance to give him confidence that things were ok, which took a while. After this his trust built and he quietened down. He still barks to defend the house at the arrival of visitors, newspapers, post, cats, birds or anybody in his garden for that matter while I'm in the house, silent when he's home alone. Loves to lie in a sunny spot anytime, outside only works when it is warm.

They have a variety of barks to suit the occasion. When he needs out he'll give a particular bark on repeat until he gets out. The same when he wants back in, constant non stop asking to come back in, in a polite sort of way, not aggressive.

This is were your dog's problem lies. As a breed they are house dogs, they live with the people they love in their home. She has been kicked out after nine years inside and does not understand what is going on and just wants back into her home. She needs walking, 40 - 60 minutes in the morning and 15 - 20 in the afternoon, confined to a garden does not give her that. Then she'll sleep for most of the day.

I appreciate that you have health issues and wish you well, but the dog needs care too. If you really feel that you can't give her the life that she needs then I'm sorry to suggest that you must let somebody else it give to her for your and your family's sake. Leaving this poor dog outside is just cruel to both her and you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Some people shouldn't own dogs. A bark collar? Is this a pisstake? Disgusting

Just ran out of ideas. There's only so much noise you can listen to

• Advertisement

I will try to increase the walking to see if things improve.

She will wander off if loose and we are around a lot of sheep and lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Have you tried walking the dog. A dog run and a kennel is a miserable existence.

<snip> Posting here wondering what's wrong. It's a house dog, meant to be social and you have it outside in a dog run wearing a bark collar. Give the dog to someone who can mind it.

Mod note: Mega Bro Wolf 5000, please make sure you abide the forum requirement that posters address one another respectfully, whether you agree with each other or not.

I have suggested this and we might have to discuss it again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Get the dog a home where they'll have the patience to look after her. Sounds like you've other priorities and the dog is not one of them now. Bark collars are insane. Always look for a good home before anything like that.

"Regularly", that word might mean something different to you and I. I have a breed that advises one walk a day should be enough for him but guess what, it's not, he needs two. I give up my lunch break to walk him for the hour every day, he's also walked after work. He gets even more than that on my off days.. and he's 9 years old now. That's the requirement. You're "regularly" might be once every two days or once a week. They need it every day, you have to stimulate them, tire them out. Can you do that?

Thinking back it's probably 5days out of 7.The missed days would normally be a hospital appointment

Yes it may have to come to that unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You're not in a position to bring the dog on a walk every day or give it the attention it needs.

Seriously need to rehome it at this stage. The barking is driving you mad and the loneliness is driving the dog mad. Everyone loses.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭babyducklings1

Dogs won’t / don’t go where they sleep and rest. Why don’t you bring her back in. Buy a dog crate.Feed her in the crate then when she barks then take her outside to go. Then bring her back in and let her free around the house. If you feed her at regular times ( twice a day) then you should have a regular patten.

You could also put a dog flap in your back door so that she goes out when she needs to go. It’s not easy but the dog sounds lonely and is barking for company. Another thing you could do is get a dog trainer in but she is elderly though so don’t know how responsive your dog would be. But get her checked at vet as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭headtheball14

I know that is typically the case but my dog used to pee wherever she slept and rested. I think it was an anxiety thing she had to mark the space. she was used for breeding and so she peed on her bed , my bed, the couch.

she hasnt done it for a long time now but it took a while to train her. lots of treats when she went outside and no punishment for accidents . she's great now even if she is left all day she holds it

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

You are a dog's world

Everything they need you must provide.

You and everyone in the household must provide that.

In return they provide , friendship , love , affection everything that is wonderful about having a pet in your life .

If you can't provide , you can't expect the above because the dog doesn't know any better and the dog deserves better

The household needs to look at what it can do. If you can't provide (for whatever reasons) you need to look to re-home , dont be selfish.

This needs to be addressed now. Not in a weeks time or when you have time. Make time. And if you can't make the time because of whatever reasons you know what the answer is .

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭highpitcheric

maybe watch some cesar milan episodes. you might hit on the cause. research this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

One thing that is jumping out at me from your posts Op is that there is a lack of any affection in the words you use to describe your dog, including using an anti bark collar on an 11 year old small dog. Not sure if it has always been that way, or has the health focus meant the dog was sidelined and the dog was acting out because of that? Either way, its not good for any of you as you almost seem resentful of the dog.

The words you are using come across that the dog is a pest / nuisance at this stage for you. At 11, a dog should be part of the family, enjoying their retirement with those who love them. Shih Tzu's and Bischons are intelligent and crave company and attention so no wonder they are barking.

I would ask you why you are keeping the dog at this stage.

Treat them as family or dont keep them, certainly not as a garden ornament.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Speak to your family OP- one of them might take the dog but that you can still see it from time to time but don’t have to look after it -

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

When I think of the lengths I go to make the dogs comfortable in their old age…

I will stop at nothing to keep them happy and let them know they're loved. It is the very least any of us can do for a little animal that never chose to come and live with me but provided me with years of entertainment and affection.

OP, a few years from now when you are once again tempted to buy a cute designer crossbreed puppy, please remind yourself how annoyed and impatient you were when this one stopped being cute.

The dog has been banished. They're social animals and you have cut her off from everything she cares about. That's why she's barking.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭rondog

couldnt agree more.Im sure theyre stressed and being quiet about it hoping the neighbour will sort it out.Doesnt sound like the neighbour will.

• Advertisement
Advertisement