Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

It’s simple.

Start by protecting your own borders.

You know, that legally binding thing we are entitled to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭engineerws

This is your explanation when questioned previously.

There are many reasons, wildly reported.

Dangerous conditions (dinghys in the med?) More women and children drown trying to cross the Med, then men.

Also, Men are much more likely to be killed at home, or imprisoned, or tortured. Women and children are more likely to be spared those incidents.

Men travelling alone can move quicker and have less slowing them down, they don't need as much food or attention as children. they will also stay places that they wouldn't want or wouldn't be appropriate for their wives and children.

They may have just enough money for one person to travel.

Bringing wives and children over, once they are safe, with somewhere to bring them, is always better then dragging them thousands of kilometres on dangerous journeys.

Many other reasons, there are plenty of reports about this issue.

You seem to be now making a false claim, "I never suggested how anybody gets here" but must assume it is I that am mistaken given your vast knowledge.

For some reason, you seem determined to focus on what the government department regards as the minority of claimants. Describing their method and rationale for coming here.

Can you please address the other cohort, which by your recent explicit acknowledgement, you now claim are falsely claiming asylum?

It is indeed shocking to me that you could make such a claim against these vulnerable people as I assume you must understand that the new cohort might be entirely genuine.

I must say given your previous statement that you understand everything, I am disappointed by your cavalier attitude to these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Chambers campaigned for a Yes vote and then announced she voted No when the tide turned. Her credibility is zero. Less than zero.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

That person is a waste of space, Stevie Wonder couldv'e seen what was coming. Hope she gets obliterated in the elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

are we not legally bound to not monitor the border with the UK up north?

• Advertisement

it's the same all over the western world with nail bars and the likes, these businesses are cheap because of cheap illegal labour. i said earlier in this thread we're on top of a pyramid scheme in rich countries like ireland, we would be less well off and most things would be more expensive if wealth was balanced throughout the world, and balancing out living standards worldwide would mean we wouldn't have waves of asylum seekers like we do now. i don't think it's politically or humanly possible though which is sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Dangerous conditions (dinghys in the med?) More women and children drown trying to cross the Med, then men.

Sorry, you're really going to have to explain that one. Are the NGO boats only picking up males or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭bloopy

None of them do.

They've got gaslighting, word games and pithy nonsense.

An idiotic ideology has brought us to this place and now the whole fukin thing is falling apart. Where it goes from here will not be pretty.

There will be no integration with this sh*t going on and any progress in integration that we have made over the last 20 years is already eroding away.

It is f*cked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭mistersifter

We are indeed bound to monitor the UK border. Under the Immigration Act 2004 it is grounds for deportation if someone arrives in Ireland with the intention of abusing the Common Travel Area:

It is an offence if the non-national:

(i) intends to travel (whether immediately or not) to Great Britain or Northern Ireland, and

(ii) would not qualify for admission to Great Britain or Northern Ireland…

I'm not sure how much we actually enforce this rule but you'd imagine it works both ways and the Brits should be monitoring things from their side!

it doesn't really say that we should be policing the border in the north though. you can still claim asylum too even if you've arrived somewhere illegally so i'm not really sure how it can all be stopped any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭REDBULL68

This a bad situation, u.k won't take em back (don't blame them )our government totally blind till now ,oh look election coming, too late ,alot of tds not going for re election, big pension so don't care ,not a word out of the European Parliament about this ,that says alot, no point manning the border anyway as their just flying in ,you try that anywhere else in the world, and you'll end up in a cell. Joke country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I guess that if it's an offence then by implication we should be doing more to police the Northern border.

e.g. Pre-authorisation and finger printing for travel between Britain and Northern Ireland for all those who are neither Europeans nor resident in the Common Travel Area. But this requires cooperation from the UK who seem to be happy to undermine the existence of the Area.

We should also pressure airlines and ferry companies to have stricter boarding policies.

It may also help if the IPO didn't accept walk-in applications in central Dublin. An office near the border and applications to be made at ports of entry only and immediate refusal for those who have come via the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, I'm not quite sure where the idea has come from that we are somehow out of kilter with other countries. Asylum claims are up everywhere in Europe since 2022….it's not as if we are some freakish outlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Can we not keep bussing them back up to Northern Ireland and say to Stormount you need to tell mainland UK to come up with a solution that stops NI being a gateway into the ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭DeadHand

It is the responsibility of Ireland to come up with solutions to this, not the UK.

It will take many steps but it starts with a Reverse Roderic: it should be broadcasted globally that Ireland is full and Asylum Seekers should look elsewhere.

It continues with the dismissals/resignations of McEntee, O'Gorman and Drew Harris.

Then it's a long road to joining the Rwanda plan, devising our own deterrent or, perhaps most ideally, adopting the Danish model.

It can be fixed. Unfortunately, the current Transition Year Student government lacks the political will, moral courage and maturity to take firm action.

Post edited by DeadHand on

And why can't our answer be to send them on a bus up North?

If mainland UK wants to deal with them then all well and good, if nothing they'll make their way down to the ROI where we'll bus them back up North

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

A poster here said a few days ago that a solution to this would be for old people to give up their houses. I was going to reply and say it was only a matter of time before they starter buying private homes but I didn't in case I got called a conspiracy theorist

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/9b221-ipss-procurement-information/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Yeah we could do that in theory but it's not a great solution. They can't even keep the ones they moved up to citywest there.

It's mad to think I can't get to spain for two weeks without proving who i am but these lads can rock up and roam free and we've no idea who, where or what they are.

Its absolutely wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭downtheroad

The one on the Malahide Road? Seems to be permanently manned by protestors. Their employers must be very sympathetic or else they're using up their valuable annual leave.... 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

Think of this, Ireland a population of 5 million nearly the same size of Manchester trying to compete with the big EU boys to adsorb a colossus logistics of people who have absolutely nothing but a ripped-up document and a story to tell.

Tens of thousands of IPA applicants mostly all male already currently in IPA centres awaiting AS status (but don't self deport should they fail - near 70% fail rate) while tens of thousands of more arriving here without any deterrent or checks!! This is open borders! A complete lunatic notion from the naive far left, leafy suburbia rich kids and or the NGO hivemind.

Our government, people who been in power for over more than a decade overseen Brexit (since 2016), the (European/Med) immigration crisis (since 2010s to present) unfold couldn't conger any contingency plan or preparation for a spill over off AS/IPAs arriving to our shores.
    How in the world are these people still in the position of power!! Years of gas-lighting us the taxpayer about been labelled a nazi, far right extremists to refuse this madness, still we're not securing the border, cutting out this bogus bonanza of human trafficking with the bleeding heart stories of people fleeing safe countries.

Yesterday/today our main media outlets as per usual very status quo

"Encampment dismantled" - Virgin

"Need for better communication on immigration, MM"- RTE

"McEntee blasts TDs for 'blatant hatred and racism' with comments on immigration" - Examiner

Presently there's a huge polarisation of opinion, thinking with the media/ politician’s vs local working/ middle class people. What’s even more tragic, our opposition = SF, SD and labour will beat the drums of a multicultural utopia.
    There is absolutely no trust and belief in the main media and main political parties, from my POV speaking to many friends and family including what you can read here in this thread or other closed immigration threads.

People will push to the right like a bat outta hell should the current zombie government not introduce real solutions to fix this crisis. My goodness our political class are the most damaging folk to our country and society!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

In a way, they are. Males being generally stronger can hold onto an swamped or upturned boat for longer. Won't be too much chivalry out there either.

Thought this was obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭davepatr07

I know its not a great solution, but the alternative from the Govt seems to be "let's all sit on hands and hope it goes away."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭twinytwo

1. You already argued that people coming have it worse at home so what do you think this will achieve?
    2. Fair enough but this will hardly make a dent in the numbers coming.
    3. State owned accommodation - great - but nothing the state builds/operates is ever cheap and again unless you control the numbers this cost will more than likely keep going up. How much of an actual saving we get would need to be seen.
    4. This makes no sense. Are you saying explore work options for people who have their claims rejected?
    5. What has this got to do with IPA's? Not sure how many doctors/nurses or construction workers you will find.
    6. Raising living standards where? the rest of the world? - good luck with that one
    7. This might apply in Europe but not here.
    8. Which groups would these be? Based on the ideas of balanced debate i assume you would also advocate for a clamp down on the far left as well?

All of the above is fine and dandy - but you ignored the elephant in the room. What do you suggest we do with those who have an IPA claim rejected and are not entitled to be here? Clearly you do no approve of the idea of sending them home so whats your plan?

Post edited by twinytwo on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Just cut and paste the Danish model, job done!

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭boetstark

The best way i have heard of describing our current crisis was as follows.

You have a bucket underneath a broken tap. The tap has a bad leak and the bucket is constantly full to overflowing.

Two options, constantly replace the full bucket with another empty bucket , or fix the tap.

Our government are in the market for buying buckets 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

The same people who tell us that men are generally stronger will also say that it makes no difference that hordes of men are being housed in small rural communities (not aimed at you)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

That's because a lot of them know owners of bucket making factories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

This story from the Irish Independent is enraging.We've had a shortage of housing in this country for a decade or more so instead of doing something like this for people who live here and pay their taxes here they bend over backwards for people who haven't contributed an iota to this country.

It's ridiculous, our politicians have essentially screwed over a generation of young irish people so they can virtue signal to the world.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/fresh-drive-to-buy-up-derelict-properties-amid-chronic-shortage-of-beds-for-asylum-seekers/a2073617781.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement