Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving a garden shed to new house

Options
  • 01-05-2024 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Does anyone know anyone that dismantles woden garden sheds and moves them to a new house and rebuilds. Newish shed (2 years old) and moving house so dont want to leave it behind and have to buy new one. Roughly what would it cost.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

Location would help???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Location? And do the new buyers know the shed will be going?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's very much going to depend on the structure and design of the shed. Most of the kit sheds are not designed for disassembly and reassembly — e.g. if structural members have been nailed together they can't be just pulled apart and renailed; you're going to have to put in a bit of reinforcement to ensure the new joints are sound. Similarly, if panels have been fixed with staples, it may be difficult to disassemble the shed without damaging the panels. Etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

If its a standard timber shed, none of this applies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Just need to cut the felt at the roof pitch and take the shed apart.

A base, 4 sides and two roof panels. Easy enough for anyone with a hammer and a crowbar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Christina A

Moving from Clondalin Dublin to Tallaght Dublin. Both houses have side entrances.

Yes the new homeowner knows. Moving from Clondalkin to Tallaght on Dublin.

Its a standard 8 x 6 timber shiplap shed. Just looking for someone to dis assemble and re assemble in new house as its only 2 years old and dont want to have to buy a new one for the new house if I can help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you could do it yourself I reckon it would be worth it. If you have to pay someone to dismantle, move and reassemble it may not be worth it. Also you are going to have to get site levelled etc, though if it is going onto a suitable, flat, possibly concrete site that won't apply. It will also depend on whether it can be dismantled, transported and reassembled in the same day (ie when you have access to the new house).

I have a well made, same age, same size shed and I would consider it to be a false economy to pay someone to move it, especially if you are not sure how comptetent they are, but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

We (my son & I) did exactly this 6 months ago. He bought a decent shed a few years ago (3?) and bolted it together, so it came apart quite easily. As prev poster said, ours was straight forward 4 wood panel walls (bolted together at the corners), and 2 sheets of ply for the roof. The base was difficult, as he (son) made it himself and it weighed a ton! We did move it on the roof of a jeep.

If you can get a friend to help take it apart (very easy) it will prob fit on roof rack. Once you get it to Tallaght , you can store it in garden until you are ready to re-assemble. This is fairly easy also, but not as easy as taking it apart, so if you dont fancy doing it yourself, you could wait until you get a few DIY jobs lined up for paid labour to tackle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

….moving the contents was a bigger pain!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Somewhat off topic: if you're selling your house (rather than renting) and the shed is listed in the property details, it could become a problem if you take it.

Advertisement