Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

It's over lads. We've lost. There is no solution to this issue and we're all going to be paying a price for a long long time. Even those calling everyone far right and racist

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

Inclined to agree and I’ve the impression the Danish model will increasingly receive interest, that said, McEntee appears to be of the opinion the public would oppose the Danish model…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

So the Government have decided its time to hoover up derelict housing. The tender is out. They must be expecting gigantic numbers.

Not so long ago, this solution wasn't good enough to help alleviate our own housing/rental supply crisis. In fact the Govt were saying it was a non runner and sitting on their hands.

Now all of a sudden it's good enough.

Next thing they will start building mass social housing for people coming in illegally.

This Government are utterly detestable. They have done nothing but turn their noses up at the housing crisis and issues people have.

It's shameful they have deprioritized our own citizens because of their failings.

Detestable. Big new estate built in Kippure with no planning. Don't tell me that fella didn't know this was coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭JPCN1

McEntee is pretty much wrong on everything to do with her brief and this is no different.

The degradation of the concept of citizenship over the last ten years has been breathtaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

The heat should always have been on McEntee. It was Varadkar who protected her. This whole issue has always been a DoJ disastrous failing. I'm no fan of O'Gorman and he has made big mistakes like taking away the last hotel in the village but to be fair, the Department of Integration is just tasked with accommodating these fraudsters after the fact - it's the DoJ who should be protecting us from having to house them in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Leo did protect her, she was seen as the future of FG. I would wonder if all this was part of the reason Leo bailed, smart enough to see the trouble coming. By all accounts Harris was going to remove her until Fitzgerald intervened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Lets remember that Francis Fitzgerald in her wisdom was the minister for justice who brought in the "leave to remain" designation. So instead of deporting people who have their asylum claim rejected, we just say "ah sure you can hang around anyway". Bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

how can the government and majority of politicians be so tone deaf to what it seems even the dogs on the street know at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

On Newstalk yesterday evening Barry Whyte was interviewing a lad called Omar from Jordan waiting for a bed in Citywest. He said it would be nice after two months on the streets. The previous 4 months were spent traveling through Serbia,Germany and France before arriving in Ireland. I would have loved Barry to ask him why he wanted to come to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Genuinely seems like being a good citizen is not rewarded anymore either directly or indirectly.

The fact that our opposition parties are in favour of this is also enraging it basically means there is no alternative when you go to vote.

First priority for any government should be the wellbeing of people who already live here (a lot of whom are immigrants), this isn't that controversial and idea and yet you'd be accused of being racist if you put forward this idea by a lot of our politicians and media which is a large part of the problem as people simply don't want to say anything as they don't want to be accused of being racist eve if it isn't true.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Pat Kenny leading with the question of "Will the Government lease/buy property from private landlords for AS"

Has someone from the Indo on now saying that they have a tender up online for any and all property. Remind me again how all this wouldn't impact on our own massive housing issue?

Also had a sound clip in the intro from a guy who's come from Serbia to Germany to France and now here… complete farce!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

Very simple - Fine Gael don’t like been told what to do. Especially by Joe Taxpayer. They all know deep down that we have a serious problem but not a chance they will admit that.

This!

I'll say it again… FG are actually WORSE than FF. They are never elected on their own merits, but as a kicking to FF when the latter lose the run of themselves, and then only until they remind us why that is.

agree. It’s like there’s a virtual neon sign saying treasure Island for everyone… a west bank migrant interview in the Irish Times… travelled across about ten countries until he got here. What the actual ****. I might sound dramatic but you would wonder what the future holds for the next generation.

Why aren’t they just use state owned lands - tents and that’s it? Quick easy fix. What’s the obsession with derelict properties that take time to do up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,557 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Meanwhile, for those of us who work and pay taxes…

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-41386357.html

It's strange how you never see articles in the papers about the government moving at speed to accommodate the people who actually live here.

Because we can't have these "poor vulnerable people" living in tents. They're going nowhere and the Government know this (especially with the UK's statements this week). For some reason though they still seem to think that the natives (us) will continue to buy the idea that this is all only temporary.

It's not. The only way these people will leave again is by choice - and many of them will when the economy eventually falls over again, but by that stage the damage will be done and it'll be the rest of us who have to pick up the pieces, again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

If the Government start buying up property to house these chancers, that's the end for this country.

Can't remember which of the three cheerleaders here spent the last 18 months gaslighting everyone into how immigration doesn't affect housing supply, but here you go you absolute spoofers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Fotish

The high taxes you pay are being used to shove up the price of the properties that you are interested in.

Basically you are competing against the Government muscle for these properties , they are using your taxes to compete against you.!!!

It's been happening "under the radar" for years. In my own estate, the 3 houses beside me have been sold to the Council over the last few years for social housing.

As you say, potential private buyers aren't just competing against other private buyers but local Government who are using their taxes against them.

they will. And we are already fucked. It’s really damage limitation. Change of government won’t solve anything anyway regardless of their intention because they will be left an unholy mess. I’ve never seen the country so angry, maybe during the recession years / water charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Ironically the government have gone full circle and are now themselves racists and xenophobic against their own citizens(Irish, no Irish etc)!

Where is the urgency to sort hospitals?

Where is urgency to sort student accommodation thus taking some pressure off private rentals.?

Where is the urgency to sort out stupid council planning laws fecking over people on their own family land?

How can a government be so passive in allowing itself to royally feck over the people who they serve. I do wonder if MM is allowing Fine Gael hang themselevs out here or if FF are all the way behind this asinine approach also.

MM's only goal was to be Taoiseach. To not be the only FF leader who wasn't. He got his chance during Covid and handed the country over to Tony Holohan and NPHET.

He's just seeing out his term now I reckon to top up the pension. Doubt he'll run in the next GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

Denmark used the same opt out of the refugee scheme that Ireland can avail of.

They don't give much money to asylum seekers, they certainly don't give them real housing.

The real differences between Denmark and Ireland are the level of control over society. You have a digital ID like the Irish Public Services Card that is linked to absolutely everything, public and private. The card is linked to your address, in a central database. They know who lives where, and know exactly the residents of all apartments. There is close to nothing occuring under the table regarding housing, because if you live in an unregistered apartment, you get absolutely no access to public services.

In Denmark, you are not entitled to social welfare as a foreigner. You get told to **** off home if you lose your job, don't find another and run out of money. I know this because I currently live in Denmark and pay a company for a-kasse, which is like an unemployment insurance. I also had to sign a document to get residency, even as an EU citizen, which says I cannot avail of social welfare.

Denmark already has its own Rwanda policy, implemented as long ago as 3 years ago. I don't know if it has actually happened, but they have the law. Asylum seekers from Syria are now being deported as it is now safe enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I'm wondering are the Govt compromised at this point! Some of the recent decisions are astounding. It's jaw dropping disregard for the population.

Because this Government don't serve us. They serve the interests of business, hangers-on, NGOs and of course the EU - not forgetting themselves of course.

The average citizen is seen as a cash machine to pay for all this. At budget time they will try and buy support by giving people back a little of their own money (but usually take as much or more in other taxes/levies/charges).

With Confidence and Supply and now outright Coalition they've even managed to ensure that BOTH FF and FG get their turn at the trough simultaneously. Don't vote for them? Doesn't matter - deals will be done in the background to ensure it continues. This is how we ended up with stars like Katherine Zappone, Shane Ross, and Eamon Ryan and his lot (who only 7% of those who actually turned up voted for) and who are now destroying our energy independence, and adding all sorts of extra taxes and general hassle for people under the guise of "De Environment".

Our political system is severely damaged. The social contract has been broken. Working hard, paying your way, and doing your bit is no longer rewarded with opportunity and supports when needed. Those seem to be going to anyone with a sad story these days.

Exactly. And Leo legged it because he knows that the country is in serious trouble. Of course Leo always the victim made himself the biggest victim and was gone like a rat up a drainpipe. Man child Harris convinced himself ‘he the man’ and with all the heroic stories about how brilliant he was probably realises now maybe he should have got rid of McEntee. Regardless. We are fucked. Only happy people are the one ideologically and financially benefiting from it. The rest will just pay for it and fry out brains trying to debate with the pro immigration lot here.

#second richest country on paper

#International obligations

• Advertisement
Advertisement