Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Would the logical thing not be to bring in the senior civil and military servants also at this stage?
    A bit of group think could go a long way.

or:

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

An asylum model designed to disincentivise economic migration and the secondary movement of migrants through policies including increased thresholds for protection, reduced processing times, reduced protection time-limits, limited access to the labour market, limited access to welfare, increased use of detention, increased deportation, limited family reunification etc. The model is described as the Danish model because Denmark intentionally publicised the policy but it is essentially used in multiple EU Member States and EEA members, including Sweden and Norway. 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Its all a cop out. If things are really that bad that I need to seek asylum, no way am I leaving my wife and kids behind. Plenty of places to go that do not require travelling 1000's of KM or trying to cross large bodies of water in a rubber boat - unless that is not actually the reason im heading to pastures new.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Women, children and the minor races aboard any multi deck crossing vessel are often sent below decks hence the higher deaths among women, children and Pakistanis(the Greek sinking had Pakistanis singled out).

The fresh air is above deck because they are so wedged or in the case of the below they had figured the boat was going to capsize.

Make of that what you will.

Note less women(of the known deaths) died crossing overall but consider the proportions. And consider the large amount of unknown deaths(likely never recovered as lost at sea or trapped inside)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭pauly58

https://www.thejournal.ie/border-asylum-seekers-6369394-May2024/ I'd have loved to eavesdrop on that phone call, makes you wonder does one hand know what the other is doing though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭brickster69

Why not try the Hungarian model, that seems to be about the only one that works.

Elect a leader who carries out what they are elected to do and does it regardless of what others say. Fair enough he may be a far right nazi, conspiracy theorist boogeyman type but it seems to work well.

Or is that a bit too radical ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭bloopy

Listening to rte radio 1 and it looks like they're turning on the government with this new property purchase plan.

Looks like they've finally figured out what way the wind is blowing.

This will cause war (figuratively for those looking to play diversionary word games)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,040 ✭✭✭✭zell12

You pay a smuggler in France to get you to Belfast. Documented a number of months ago by Barry Whyte on Newstalk

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

Can anyone explain to a person out of the loop like myself what the hell has happened to the Fine Gael party? I wouldn't have heavily agreed with all their policies but in Enda Kenny's time they wouldn't be this far out of touch with the people?

Where are the rural TD's, I would've expected that cohort to be railing against the Dublin bubble of eejits?!

Also how has Frances Fitzgerald come to the fore of the party? I thought an MEP was usually someone who drifted into the background of a party?!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,617 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

That's incredible. The UK have said that we are not allowed to police the border to stop migrants from coming in, and we have no right to return those that do cross.

We are no longer a sovereign state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Unfortunately you’re right, the virtue signallers will almost certainly have to work until 70+, forget about a pension at 66!

They just don’t know it yet as they are incapable of seeing weeks ahead let alone years ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Harris started his FG career as an assistant to Fitzgerald and she is one of those who has been advising him since he got the top job.

She was apparently key to McEntee retaining Justice too.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/how-frances-fitzgerald-and-a-fear-of-the-civil-service-saved-helen-mcentees-job/a2056415841.html

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭boetstark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I've been following this thread for a long time now, contributed on a handful of occasions and I've never been so disillusioned with how things are now in this country. My wife and I are both working and probably paying close to €2500 per month in income tax, usc etc, with one child in college, another hoping to start this year. We feel the future is looking very poor for our children, we've been let down by a government that doesn't put it's citizens first. We work hard, save for our children's education and try to be the best, most responsible parents we can be. But it's a struggle to do this when you think of how taxpayer's money is being squandered on providing for individuals who should not be here at all. There are hundreds of new homes being constructed in the large town where I live- I suspect that a lot of these will be used to house many of these new arrivals, because you know, "it's our international obligation". All paid for by working people like me and my wife, who were never asked or consulted about any of this by any politician at any time. This is a watershed moment- ordinary Irish people (especially those that get up early in the morning) are talking openly about this now and won't be quietened by any of the mob that dare to label dissenters as "far right" when they are simply just fed up of the whole mess that's been inflicted on the country's citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/288978/3e46c1ca-39d9-41c5-974a-b5c14af16031.pdf

Here is a more detailed release of the plan to buy private properties for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

That's not exactly true. A number of hitmen involved were foreign. Also many drugs gangs have foreign connections.

And many prostitution and trafficking gangs are led by foreigners based here.

Violence and murder in the non Irish community is fairly significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I have gone past disillusionment.

I am going to leave Ireland later this year. In my mind, its finished.

While I am open to people coming here genuinely fleeing conflict, short shrift should be given to economic migrants from safe countries and should be sent back on the next plane. Asylum applications from certain safe countries should not even be entertained.

And the idea of buying houses to house asylum seekers is complete lunacy from an economic point of view. Lets say the government decide to buy 1000 houses, at 400k a house, that's 400 million, for a relatively small number of migrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

they spent close to million on bringing in Ukrainian pets. they won't give the square root off 6 ****, they have magic money trees and Irish taxpayer. Ill say it agin, why cant they provide, green field sites with heavy duty tents, showers and canteens like what we have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭combat14

we dont have to police "the border" a large increase in random garda checks for "tax, insurance, drink drivers and illegal migrants" a couple of KMs in with any vehicles assisting illegal migration confiscated should do the trick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The Rural Independents called for a referendum on the new EU Migration policy. I agree - the government have a get out clause with this, to say to the EU that we need to consult with our citizens. This would allow then for either copper fastening of current policies or more likely to justify a complete new approach by the Irish state.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,040 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Eh, we have no constitutional need for one, so it won't happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Northernlily

It's a joke that it's suddenly now possible when it should have been many moons ago and indicates a Goverment in absolute panic.

Forget our own homeless issues, let the folks who just come in leap frog the queue as we can't be made look bad on the world stage.

No way am I on board with this or willing to put my money down on a house deposit this year. I'll wait 18 months to see. We could have a very different country by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Will0483

This really should be obvious. Women could not get through the middle east or North African countries as they would be attacked multiple times along the route.

Men are routinely kidnapped for slave labour and extorted for their possessions.
    Other migrants would also be a huge risk for any women making such a journey. They would need to carry quite a bit of cash to pay people smugglers so the odds of them keeping hold of that would be zero.

Also for religious reasons, Muslim women would be prohibited from travelling without a male relative or spouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭TokTik

The first and only priority of the government should be the Irish people. No one else.

Harris as Taoiseach has to bear responsibility for the fiasco now developing.

In response to migrants coming across the border, the government have said they don't intend to do much about it, and have essentially said they can't send them back. They are now also talking of buying houses to house the new arrivals.

What a weak response, which will only encourage the floodgates to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'm not opposed to deporting those who have their claims rejected, but realistically I wouldn't expect it to be hugely effective. I believe the EU and US have been trying various carrot and stick approaches for at least 20 years to little success. Probably best stick with prioritizing deportation of criminals and voluntary deportations.

As for my proposals, these aren't meant to 'fix' the solution. There is no fix, the only way to change long term is increasing living standards and security in the global south. For this, that only needs to be enough to tackle the worst poverty and abuses, so that people aren't so desperate to leave.

Let me go through your responses to the list.

1. It's a way of encouraging people to chose other Western countries based on honesty and transparency. I don't think it would get the same pushback as harder measures to move people elsewhere likely would.
    2. I think this could make a difference. I guess it depends how many you believe are coming for economic reasons.
    3. Agreed it won't be cheap, but accommodation can be basic. Long term it will reduce costs massively.
    4. Yes as an exploration, but with a lengthy time spent in community service. Makes visa/work permit more attractive.
    5. Harder for dr's but I think it would make a difference for construction/nurses. Could include stipends for training and education with extra conditions of staying and working in these industries in long-term. Same stipends could be available for Irish student nurses and apprentices.
    6. Has to a huge priority at EU level.
    7. Not sure what you mean?
    8. Of course apply to far-left too, but I haven't seen any crimes on this scale linked to far-left in Ireland. Have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Brilliant post. Please forward if to you'd local representatives. Eventually they will get the message. Otherwise your well thought out well written piece is lost. Share it on uour WhatsApp groups et . Every contribution helps get the message through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Sadly I fully agree. I’m an Irish parent of 2 young kids 9 & 11 yrs old. I personally will be living abroad by the time they’re 18 yrs old and effectively adults.

The rolling education advise I give my children is to learn 2 foreign languages minimum. I already intermittently speak French (and translate) with them to hopefully create at least one language of familiarity to them when they start learning it in school.

The only future for their generation is going to be emigration and foreign language will cement a better career potential abroad.

It’s extremely sad that it’s come to this realisation (I personally realised it years ago) as Ireland had so much going for it until the political cancer of corruption came in to leave zero practical options to turn the situation around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement