Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I have gone past disillusionment.

I am going to leave Ireland later this year. In my mind, its finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

While I am open to people coming here genuinely fleeing conflict, short shrift should be given to economic migrants from safe countries and should be sent back on the next plane. Asylum applications from certain safe countries should not even be entertained.

And the idea of buying houses to house asylum seekers is complete lunacy from an economic point of view. Lets say the government decide to buy 1000 houses, at 400k a house, that's 400 million, for a relatively small number of migrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

they spent close to million on bringing in Ukrainian pets. they won't give the square root off 6 ****, they have magic money trees and Irish taxpayer. Ill say it agin, why cant they provide, green field sites with heavy duty tents, showers and canteens like what we have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

we dont have to police "the border" a large increase in random garda checks for "tax, insurance, drink drivers and illegal migrants" a couple of KMs in with any vehicles assisting illegal migration confiscated should do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The Rural Independents called for a referendum on the new EU Migration policy. I agree - the government have a get out clause with this, to say to the EU that we need to consult with our citizens. This would allow then for either copper fastening of current policies or more likely to justify a complete new approach by the Irish state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,630 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Eh, we have no constitutional need for one, so it won't happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

It's a joke that it's suddenly now possible when it should have been many moons ago and indicates a Goverment in absolute panic.

Forget our own homeless issues, let the folks who just come in leap frog the queue as we can't be made look bad on the world stage.

No way am I on board with this or willing to put my money down on a house deposit this year. I'll wait 18 months to see. We could have a very different country by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Will0483

This really should be obvious. Women could not get through the middle east or North African countries as they would be attacked multiple times along the route.

Men are routinely kidnapped for slave labour and extorted for their possessions.
    Other migrants would also be a huge risk for any women making such a journey. They would need to carry quite a bit of cash to pay people smugglers so the odds of them keeping hold of that would be zero.

Also for religious reasons, Muslim women would be prohibited from travelling without a male relative or spouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

The first and only priority of the government should be the Irish people. No one else.

Harris as Taoiseach has to bear responsibility for the fiasco now developing.

In response to migrants coming across the border, the government have said they don't intend to do much about it, and have essentially said they can't send them back. They are now also talking of buying houses to house the new arrivals.

What a weak response, which will only encourage the floodgates to open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'm not opposed to deporting those who have their claims rejected, but realistically I wouldn't expect it to be hugely effective. I believe the EU and US have been trying various carrot and stick approaches for at least 20 years to little success. Probably best stick with prioritizing deportation of criminals and voluntary deportations.

As for my proposals, these aren't meant to 'fix' the solution. There is no fix, the only way to change long term is increasing living standards and security in the global south. For this, that only needs to be enough to tackle the worst poverty and abuses, so that people aren't so desperate to leave.

Let me go through your responses to the list.

1. It's a way of encouraging people to chose other Western countries based on honesty and transparency. I don't think it would get the same pushback as harder measures to move people elsewhere likely would.
    2. I think this could make a difference. I guess it depends how many you believe are coming for economic reasons.
    3. Agreed it won't be cheap, but accommodation can be basic. Long term it will reduce costs massively.
    4. Yes as an exploration, but with a lengthy time spent in community service. Makes visa/work permit more attractive.
    5. Harder for dr's but I think it would make a difference for construction/nurses. Could include stipends for training and education with extra conditions of staying and working in these industries in long-term. Same stipends could be available for Irish student nurses and apprentices.
    6. Has to a huge priority at EU level.
    7. Not sure what you mean?
    8. Of course apply to far-left too, but I haven't seen any crimes on this scale linked to far-left in Ireland. Have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Brilliant post. Please forward if to you'd local representatives. Eventually they will get the message. Otherwise your well thought out well written piece is lost. Share it on uour WhatsApp groups et . Every contribution helps get the message through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Sadly I fully agree. I’m an Irish parent of 2 young kids 9 & 11 yrs old. I personally will be living abroad by the time they’re 18 yrs old and effectively adults.

The rolling education advise I give my children is to learn 2 foreign languages minimum. I already intermittently speak French (and translate) with them to hopefully create at least one language of familiarity to them when they start learning it in school.

The only future for their generation is going to be emigration and foreign language will cement a better career potential abroad.

It’s extremely sad that it’s come to this realisation (I personally realised it years ago) as Ireland had so much going for it until the political cancer of corruption came in to leave zero practical options to turn the situation around.

A house in Ireland or a room in a hostel in Rwanda. Doesn't take a genius to work out which one migrants would prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭aidanodr

@jack of all - "taxpayer's money is being squandered on providing for individuals who should not be here at all. "

From what I gather anyone from anywhere in the world especially from persecution or war torn countries have a right via various bodies and conventions that Ireland is signed up to .. to come here and apply for asylum. The only way around that one is for Ireland to leave the EU and sign off from these various conventions.

You may be implying that most applying for asylum here are economic migrants & should not be here? That may be the case, but the system in place from Irish government as is elsewhere is it has to process all due to above international things we are signed up to.

If there is fault its this and past governments handling of the migration / asylum issue. The long drawn out legal appeals system etc .. this could be seriously stream lined. Being reactive and basically up to recently, ignoring the migrant issue is a thing here politically. So in my view if blame is to be apportioned it is in the main at the door of governments past and present policy around this issue, not the migrants themselves who are coming here and from there perspective using the system in place. Re our past crazy system look at the direct provision system.

Be under no illusion - relative to the rest of Europe WE aint seen nothing yet in comparison to what the rest of Europe has to deal with over last few decades ( Remember the vast migration of Syrians to Merkels Germany OR Greece, Italy, Spain )

Also be under no illusion - this is going to get far far worse. As i keep saying here we are/will have mass migration from equitorial and south mediterranean regions, middle east - purely due to climate where these places now are reaching sustained temps of 45 deg+ … humans - biologically, medically - cannot survive in this .. add fires and extreme weather, flooding.

And also add WAR - Did you know we have a major worst war since WW2 at the moment on the continent of Europe for the last 2 years +? Russia's invasion on Ukraine, this has not gone away you know. This BTW is not going well for Ukraine at the moment. Do you think IF Ukraine falls that Russia will just stop & you will be left untouched by further Russian moves into what we call western Europe? From this and if Russia prevail in Ukraine expect millions more Ukrainians flowing west to us - Ukraine population is/was 40m+

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

How more utterly incompetent can Harris, McEntee & the clueless political class get.
    Announcing to the world, "we're buying the houses lads" will only encourage more IPA folk here.

Country's a **** joke, how my kids & relations have any sort of chance to finding a home of their own in the coming years is slim to none now.
    Jesus wept, it's borderline self sabotage at this point.

Noticed (as I work from home) many canvasser's haven't knocked once on my door. They're dropping the leaflets into the post box with a "Sorry I missed you" scribbled down. Guess who are the parties not knocking?!!

If they applied for asylum in the UK, I don't believe they are entitled to then apply for asylum in another country.

You can't just have asylum tourism where people go from country to country chancing their arm.

Before the current fiasco, we had just about a manageable level of genuine migrants. Taking in massive amounts from the UK and housing them is just not sustainable or morally right. Its just the UK dumping their problem on us and Harris rolling over and accepting it, instead of telling them to get lost.

Regards Ukrainian refugees, that is a separate issue as I don't believe a single one would be eligible to be sent to Rwanda from the UK. Those eligible to be sent are likely those coming from relatively safe countries or whose case is not clearcut - eg someone coming from African or Asian countries where its not clear what they are fleeing.

I think they would reject the Danish model when they see what's actually involved.

I can't see that scale of indefinite detention going down very well. Especially with the cruelty attached with the 'motivation detention' approach.

From an officer in one of these centers.

“Our role here is not, as in imprisonment, to minimize the negative consequences of imprisonment. On the contrary, the negative consequences are an implicit part of the construction of these centers.”

https://jacobin.com/2021/02/denmark-zero-asylum-immigration-refugees

I can't see that Irish people would go for an approach that would keep an Irish child from their dad either.

https://www.fairplanet.org/story/surviving-denmarks-open-prisons-for-undeportables/

Even if there was public support for this, it still looks a very risky strategy. There's no proof that this approach does anything other than push IPAs towards other EU countries, the repercussions of which are not something economically I think we can consider.

After that it's leading to a 'race to the bottom' approach amongst EU countries. Failures of other deterrent based approaches would suggest that were these approaches widely followed in the EU they would simply cancel each other out. Europe as a whole, even with these measures would still be more attractive to a lot of potential IPAs. We'd then be faced with the implications of holding large amounts of people indefinitely, people living undocumented, kids growing up excluded from mainstream society etc.

You mentioned Norway and Sweden too but I haven't seen that their approaches are as extreme as Denmark's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

You have brought up this theory of the equator becoming inhospitable- have you any links to any evidence to suggest that the populations there will not be able to cope with theorised increases? t present it looks like a 1 degree increase with some Areas seeing 3 degrees against a baseline that was taken 100 years ago.

Is Africa also a small place? The standard world map misrepresents the size. It’s enormous. Europe is the golden ticket for these people, until we understand that we will be swamped with people genuinely seeking a better life but at the expense of ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Maybe put the IPAS processing centre in the middle of Monaghan or somewhere isolated in a border county. Everyone has to go there to get a bed and whatever other goodies are ladled out. Garda checkpoint half a km away from this place.

Similar at Dublin Airport. You will be processed if you produce an airline ticket, but back up to the rural processing centre if not.

I dunno, I'm turning into someone I never thought I would be, which is "make it harder and harder for migrants" This whole debacle has changed people often into something they never thought they'd be. I'm still trying to see both sides but failing miserably most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Removal from a country has to form the corner stone of any policy or there is no point.

1. Going to another EU or western country does not solve anything.
    2. Not really - at an EU wide level your are taking 100'000s of extra visa's or you discriminate against other countries in favour of 3rd world countries. And what if there are limited visas on offer?
    3. Given the current government stance on this i doubt it
    4. This basically bins your entire argument - do not worry if you get rejected, you wont have to leave. Just hang around and do a bit of manual labour and you will eventually get a visa.
    5. I highly doubt a large number of skilled people are spending years in IPA to come work here as a doctor/nurse. We already drive our own from the country. Bring them back instead.
    6. This is basically unworkable - but as i said good luck.
    7. We are not in Schengen. We are an island. Even with NI, Border security is "simple".
    8. We have no far right groups or politicians in government - can that be said for the far left? You can't just say those that commit crimes. Extremes are either allowed or they are not.

Post edited by twinytwo on

I've seen several mentions on housing for IPAs being prioritized over housing for Irish people.

In one sense that's a very fair point.

On the other hand, let's face it, providing any real solutions for housing problems under an FFG government was never going to happen anyway. Derelict buildings were never going to be used as affordable housing for Irish people or the Irish homeless, at least not at anything more than the level of a token gesture.

FFG made their approach perfectly clear a few months back when they stated they didn't want to lower housing costs for fear their base would lose value on their assets.

I still think the most likely outcome from the next election is another FFG government, this time supported by a 'further to the right' coalition. So another 5 years of this approach to housing essentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

You can suggest the IPAS centre be placed on Inishbofin if you like but the staff who work at the centre won't move outside of the office where they are now…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭aidanodr

@thomas 123 "You have brought up this theory of the equator becoming inhospitable- have you any links to any evidence"

This from 2020, but a simple search for equator uninhabitable on google will find lots more, inc more recent.

About the 40deg+ temps and human body, well documented and not a theory. We are already seeing these temps in the med and middle east and Africa last 2, 3 years. Climate migration is not a theory

You dont mention Ukraine / War related migration. We could be in receipt of alot more of that depending on how russia progress. I imagine IF Ukraine was not invaded and we did NOT receive 100k+ Ukraine refugees then this current migrant issue here would not be such a big thing

nothing borderline about it - some moron thought this would solve the pension “time bomb” issue hand in hand with making us look like the golden child of Europe. Remember “Ireland 2040”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

This is not an immigration issue any longer in my eyes.

It's a domestic security issue. The security of the state is under attack as the borders are down and the Government are no longer working with domestic security requirements as a priority. This is literally one of their main functions. The Government have gone way outside the mandate provided by the people here and are now actually going against it.

When I say security, I talk about ability to provide all the things that make this country a wonderful place to live.

Safety, security, housing, infrastructure, services.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The doomsday scenario's you have posted on here will need an equally radical approach from Western nations as the numbers of the global south migrating north will become completely unsustainable and will lead to massive social unrest.. Just watch what's happening at the U.S/Mexico border for a glimpse into the start of how it will be in Europe, Trump is promising mass deportations for starters..

• Advertisement

I don’t believe I said it was a theory.

I said the sustained temprature increases and their impacts are.

If this becomes another reason to grant asylum into Ireland we may as well pack it all in.

Advertisement