Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭bloopy

If this continues, then in a few years time people will look back at Trump and Wilders with nostalgia that they were the worst we had to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Water2626262

When people mention that these properties will be set up as dormitory’s etc that’s fair enough but doesn’t change the fact that there will be a conveyor belt of people going straight on the housing list once they get through the process. That fella from Afghanistan with the six kids won’t be entering the private rental market if he’s successful.

Meanwhile workers have to make compromise after compromise with regard to housing and pay through the nose for it. We have one of the highest percentages of people living at home so of course the birth rate is tanking. I’ve always been left leaning but this issue is really testing me. It 100% feels like the government and the political parties have the needs of working people way down the priorities way down the pecking order.

Also I do not resent social housing. I don’t believe people should be in slums and it can only be good for society. It becomes an issue when we have economic migrants from halfway across the world abusing a system to avail of it. Especially when people working here cannot compete at all to get their own roof over their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

It won't be a reason to seek asylum.

But the knock on effects of more conflicts and greater political instability will.

Besides, if the place is inhospitable people will come here, regardless of asylum processes.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

Rwanda, where 30 years ago they had a genocide. I wouldn't like to be an ethnic minority there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

More incentives to head to Ireland

Starting shortly, a new
    International Protection Child Payment will be provided to all applicant families in the
    system, which will provide an increase on the weekly allowance presently granted in
    respect of children.

Pg10 first time local community mentioned

The Department has recently agreed to lease two locations from the HSE, along with a site from
    the Department of Justice. Further sites/properties are being explored. These sites/properties
    allow for the construction of fast prefabricated units to bring on stream State owned
    accommodation in 2024.
    Why this option?
    Virtually all EU Member State utilise fast modern methods of construction to add capacity to their
    systems in times of crisis. It is the most cost effective solution and allows for the use of
    Ministerial Orders on State lands for exemption from planning to deliver solutions rapidly.
    This method also brings on stream accommodation that would otherwise not have come from the
    commercial sector. Due to the slightly longer lead in time to delivery, this State construction
    model allows ample time to engage with local communities.

If you live in a larger urban town that hasn’t been saturated yet…..buckle up!

Final page

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Sorry @thomas 123 .. I just saw Theory in your line - "You have brought up this theory of the equator"

I watch alot of Climate related docs and news shows on all the big stations ( "majored" from college with Geography etc ( Arts ) :D .. always interested ), nature programs, keen interest in weather, recently started that thread over at weather forum here on Tornadoes world wide, scarey stuff in south USA Nebraska region at mo.

Extreme weather is a thing, including extreme heat ( 40c+ ).. flooding, extreme heat is a thing on the med for last few years along with fires etc ( Friend of mine 2 years ago in Sth France had to come home due to 40c and fires approaching AirBNB property ). Pakistan and that region is in serious trouble. Its not really doomsday to suggest many people in these regions will eventually say fck this and move North. Migration btw is something that humans have done for 1000s of years, many times due to climate or unsustainable issues in places where they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,131 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Imagine if they had the same urgency to fix the housing crisis or taking homeless Irish families off the street with thousands of homeless children just being left on the streets while we cater for people that have no right being in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

No that's only optics, and particularly poor one. You may not realise that it was our government that demanded an open border with NI during Brexit, and even objected to British installing cameras apparently.

Any garda checks won't stop migrants because they can just say the magic words: They want to claim asylum.
    Gards will have to let them through.

It's incredible how our government has walked right into these Tory sucker punches.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭willyvanilla

Just like every other step over the years was predictable, shouted down, but came to pass anyway, the next steps are equally predictable.

If this stays on course, which it will, the solution will ultimately lie in Ireland becoming an inhospitable place.

At a micro, individual level, there will be increasing hostility toward immigrants until its simply not worth living here.

You simply cannot have a native population fighting over less and less resource with an increasing non native population and expect "that'll work out".

The passive attitude of waiting for government, local and national, to fix a problem, then not do so, but people continue to stand around like feckless eejits has a very definite shelf life. The whole hands up in the air just isn't going to last.

Write it down on a piece of paper and watch it slowly come to reality. Individual, active non-acceptance of this situation in everyday life is what will turn it on its head.

In other words the worst possible solution will arrive. But a solution it will be nonetheless. It's not even about blame anymore, it's just natural consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

It always does kind of strike just how often people who speak of the ills and bad outcomes of migration also openly state that they are considering the option of — well — migration.

Migrating to another country from the safe, relatively peaceful and prosperous country of Ireland to go live abroad and take up property that could be otherwise taken up by the native people there and availing of the state resources of that country that otherwise could be focused on its native people. Sounds a bit familiar.

But it does speak to one of the wider challenges with dealing with migration, one I've mentioned before. You want the freedom to travel / holiday abroad and migrate for yourself — so you are part of a wider demand in the western world for relatively easy travel and the ability to move with relative freedom between certain countries. The problem is that when those channels are created, they work both ways and the channels can be used by migrants, including illegal migrants.

It comes back to the point that people want to tackle migration, but there is often a failure to acknowledge that the very things they want are the very things that make migration easier. And that's because people don't really like to admit that they are actually part of a perceived problem that they prefer to blame somebody else for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sorry but they do have a right to be here, as asylum seekers under internationally signed treaties.

This idea that asylum seekers are illegal immigrants just needs to stop.

The hate its generating in this country is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,557 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Were the least worst we had to deal with more likely…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

okay so since you don’t read the full post I’m going to pull back from replying further - not much point.

appreciate your overall point, but think it’s been blown out of proportion to an extent.

I haven’t read your last post there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭bloopy

Yea, more like that.

Alternatively could have said 'all we had to deal with'.

Basically, there is so much frustration and anger with this situation, both here and in Europe, that the ones who rise from this will make Trump and Wilders look like fukin Karl Marx.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

A 53-year-old from South Africa who missed yesterday’s buses as he went to take a shower said he walked the streets throughout the night, as he did not have a tent or sleeping bag.

“I went to bathe and when I came back, there was nobody here,” he said adding: “I really need accommodation, look at my age.”

Must have been a long shower. "I'm 53 give me accommodation" doesn't cut it either I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

No constitutional need, but there is a political opportunity there for the government to grasp. Throw the issue to the people. If they have sense, they should strongly consider this. As it is, they're for a hiding.

Cowardly canvassers.

I agree, the large majority of Irish people are generous but there comes a tipping point when generosity is dried up and sympathy lost.

You can't post anecdote here, it says it on page 1. It's possible to comment on policy or events but for some weird reason if you give direct evidence of how the issue affects you or yours, then it can be deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭willyvanilla

I can certainly understand people just wanting to up and leave given the current state of the place, and the logical future state of the place.

But, as i alluded to above, people better recognise that kind of reaction is based on non-confrontational decency. "Better to leave than cause a scene, better to bottle it up and move away".

That attitude simply cannot last.

It's only a matter of time until the predictable "why should I leave my own country while others keep arrivinh to be looked after?" comes roaring to the fore in very much confrontational fashion.

Again, the situation is not difficult to understand, and neither are the ultimate consequences of an entirely inhospitable country to immigrants.

We are currently in the transitional phase of normal society (think housing and healthcare and educational provision etc) where there are still a sizeable cohort that are okay, so to speak. But that cohort will shrink and shrink as resource shrinks.

Who needs a map to where this leads? Nobody, that's who.

The politicians and governance have failed and into the void steps individual agency at micro level.

@thomas 123 Lets not fall out :D .. I did read your full post. Forums are great, they have written text messages as we have been doing, but we all may interpret whats written differently from what the author wrote. I understand that. And i also would be in general the type of person who agrees to disagree but still would gladly go for a few pints after a heated debate, conversation :D

You asked for links, I did provide, but also said a simple google search is worth a look if interested. Not trying to change your mind BTW. What I write is my opinion, and I will always stand by that everyone is entitled to there own opinion and I would hope to not fall out with others who would have different opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Why stop there? Why not billet them with old people. What could go wrong?

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

There's something very telling too that when people on these threads talk about young Irish people leaving the solution is always to say (rightly) that they need better jobs and housing, never a mention of hard borders or deterrents?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Sorry but this post of yours has me mystified. The glaring difference in my (and my kids) emigration is that (1) it was forced onto us by our own governments cronyism and creating a housing market which will be unattainable to my children’s generation (2) I will (and my kids) be able to PAY OUR OWN way in our country of destiny. Purchase a property(s) and contribute to the our newly adopted land via our jobs or businesses.

You state that Ireland is a “safe” country ! My question to you is how secure are you in the longevity of this claim when it’s clear that the government are intent on creating a cultural shift in Ireland . How safe will this country be in 5 years ? , 10 years ? Do we know ? Socially the fabric of Ireland has already cracked imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Current state of the place?

Seriously people have very short memories.

I grew up in the 70s and 80s when the economy was awful, mass unemployment, no jobs or prospects, massive brain drain as Irish workers were forced to emigrate, as economic migrants.

Country was oppressed by the catholic church, no contraception, abortion, or even sex ed in schools. Homosexuality was illegal, divorce was illegal. Church ran the government. Food here was awful too.

Now we live in a country that has a thriving economy, people leaving college have a real prospect of well paid job and career in Ireland, successful economy has made country more modern and international and global, improved liberal rights, so much so that when we had a gay Taoiseach elected, it just simply wasn't an issue.

Of course there are problems, the country is not perfect. Housing is the biggest one, and government policy, nothing else has created that problem.

It's not foreigners or immigrants, it's poor land policy and planing systems allowing NIMBYS to block everything for years in court that has led to lack of houses as well as the government stopping the building of houses in the 80s.

Either way the country is in a much better state than it has ever been and the idea that it has never been worse and saying it's all the fault of immigrants is dangerous and needs to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Do I understand the current situation correctly when I say that from now on we will have 2 separate government departments competing with each other to acquire land for accommodation purposes, the department of housing and the department of integration. 2 departments employing seperate estate agents, valuers and engineers, both competing with each other on specific sites spending taxpayer's money. I have a neighbour who buy and sells cattle. I hope to meet him tomorrow for a social gathering. I must suggest that from now on he should get his wife to also attend the marts and compete against him in the purchase of animals. That is now the logical Irish way of doing business. I will stand well out of earshot for his reply. Have we gone officially insane as a country!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Not sure how “rightly” this is.

25-35 years ago a man could have a job in a factory, and a woman could raise 3-6 kids at home - afford a mortgage, a car and other essentials. Reverse the sexes if you feel like it, fact is 2 people could survive comfortably with one person working.

Today we have professional couples on 100k combined + unable to get mortgages because they are unable to save because they are paying out rent in the thousands, those that wanted to sensibly have kids young then pay another mortgage on childcare.

The state should impose “hard borders” on offshore property investment funds firstly and then hard borders on itself from interfering with private housing supply to solve the social housing issues it has and now to solve the migration issues…

Also (Obviously) the economy won’t work with everyone doing “better jobs”.

And that Irony @murpho999 .. During the 80s, mass migration of young Irish from Ireland to the US, UK and Aus etc. But that was probably different :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Tefral

They werent going expecting handouts and houses…. They were going to live with relatives to get on their feet and work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

A big concern there would be impact to residential rental prices.

If the state is paying rent for asylum seekers to landlords at an increased scale, there will likley be a rent price inflation effect for everyone else, as well as a further shortage of private accomodation.

What happened to the state owned accomodation plan that leaves the private market alone?

Wasn't that the plan? Even through the use of empty offices/tented accomodation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Its funny the majority or people bemoaning the state of the country because it is now, so much better, that other nationalities actually want to live here, that those bemoaners are now going to become immigrants in different countries. .

Advertisement