Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

Yeah, you'd have some queries on how well this will sell out too if the selection is anything like the past 12 months and there are minimal Ulster lads in the 23.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Does the women's team have a similar provincial imbalance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I'm talking about Ulster playing a touring team, not Ireland in Ravenhill, which can't happen because of the naming deal with the Aviva.

Fir some unfathomable reason, Munster are the only province to have a licence to host teams as they have in the last few years -SA etc.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Deramore

Ulster A playing Ireland u-20s on June 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Could Ulster use the Aviva to host a touring international A side? It would probably defeat the purpose of getting a home fixture, but it might raise much needed funds perhaps? (Same goes for Connacht I suppose.)
    Munster have SuperValu Páirc Uí Chaoimh which has a capacity of 45k so they can generate a large amount of revenue, I'm sure the travelling team will want to take a good share of that, so maybe Ravenhill Kingspan Stadium wouldn't be able to raise enough revenue to justify it?
    I'm not sure why Leinster couldn't use the Aviva to host touring teams.

• Advertisement

Sorry totally missed this was the Women’s team they were talking about.

There was an article that I shared on here not long ago that said that only Munster has a "licence" to host touring international teams. What exactly that means, I don't know. Ulster did get to host Uruguay in 2018 - nothing since.

With only 18/20k tickets available they could charge more and make more money uthat way. I'd hope that's something Humphreys could sort. Would love to see Ulster (or even Ireland A) against an international. Surely we could double down on the Ulster-Scots angle and get Scotland over? I'm sure loads of Scots would come over for the weekend to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

There isn't a suitable time in the calendar for Ulster to play a northern hemisphere int team, one or other is playing or preparing for a game every weekend. The only chance really is a touring southern hemisphere team but they'd be looking for a lot of money, capacity at Ravenhill might not be enough to make it profitable enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Ulster did host the Barbarians, could we get something like that again?

Good point about the calendar.

Unfortunately, the point about capacity is neither here nor there - we don't have this fabled licence - only Munster does. Would love to know more about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I wouldn't put much stock in those claims about a "licence". Unless it's a game by game licence where the IRFU signs off subject to conditions being met.

Any team, particularly an international one, will demand a big appearance fee if they are to send players somewhere for an exhibition game. 18k fans might be enough to cover the fee after other costs are taken out.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Tipp1991

There's no licence per say, its an application to the IRFU on a game by game basis. The same process is followed by clubs up and down the country when hosting sides from outside Ireland.

The match fee commanded by any of the touring sides would be €100k+. Normally it's a set fee of say €100k up to 75% venue capacity and then a percentage of all ticket sales above that number. No risk for the touring side, guaranteed €100k and if it sells out, they make more.

Post edited by Tipp1991 on

I don't think Munster branch use the same process to get SA or the Maoris to play as a secondary school setting up a game with a team from a school in Wales, tbf.

And given the reported loss from the La Rochelle game, those figures would see a healthy profit for Ulster branch, before you take into accoubt charging higher ticket prices than a European game

It's the same process. The Munster Branch (or whoever) have to provide details of a proposed touring side to the IRFU for sanction. Munster were lined up to play Australia in Pairc Ui Chaoimh in 2022 but did not receive sanction from the IRFU and went with the South Africa Select XV instead.

Interesting. Why not Oz, but SA?

Anyway, sounds like you know thereof which you speak. But multiple sources (including journos) have spoken/written about Munster being the only province to get (a) licence(s).

I can't see how it wouldn't be profitable at Ravenhill.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Any chance it's a condition of the loan for Thomond?

I could 100% believe it, but I don't know anything to that effect.

I do think it's a bit weird the Leinster, one of the best clubs sides in the game, doesn't seem to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

There is a bit of a tradition with Munster and touring sides going way back. I genuinely don't know do the other provinces have the same tradition? I'd assume they do given the way the game was in amateur days but Munster seem to have kept this up more so than they others for whatever reason.

Personally I like it, throwback to a different era and a chance to see players and teams you don't normally see.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Rugbyf565

I still can’t understand this Werner Kok transfer. Do we have any wingers leaving next season?

Currently have:

1. Stockdale
    2. Baloucoune
    3. McIlroy
    4. Lowry
    5. Sexton
    6. Moore (utility)
    7. Moxham (presumed leaving)

It is Ulster’s most well stocked position, this transfer make no sense at all. I would have liked to have seen Aaron Sexton get more development, he’s the fastest man in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,572 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

With Hume out for a good bit Moore will be in the centre.

Lowry is a full back?

• Advertisement

I think it may be because Ireland were playing Australia in that years November internationals. When you look at it, Munster aren't playing any Tier 1 countries, they're playing Select XV & Maori sides which you could probably equate to Tier 2 (maybe even Tier 3?). Leinster played Chile in 2022. The reference for a licence stems back to a single Irish Examiner article which was rehashed and regurgitated.

It would be worth asking the question to someone within Ulster Rugby if another Q&A was done.

As has been said, Munster does have a tradition in playing touring sides while it may be a case someone within their commercial dept has a contact with a company representing some of the sides they play. When you look at it, in the last 18 months or so Munster have played SA Select XV, Barbarians and Crusaders, in the same time Bristol have played the same 3 teams around the same time.

I don't think it's anything to do with the Thomond loan. Terms of the loan were included in the IRFU reports.

A new schedule of loan repayments was agreed with the Branch in 2022. Under the new repayment schedule the principal terms of repayment are as follows:

— Annual loan repayments in the amount of €200,000 plus;
    — 50% of any additional multi-year ticket sales, 50% of any multi-year corporate box sales and 50% of net Thomond Park naming rights income on an annual basis.
    — The interest rate chargeable on the loan is at 1% per annum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

When it was first announced i was a little surprised. However, after seeing how our backs are performing he is very much a welcome addition. Runs hard, abrasive and quick. Can't wait for him to arrive.

I quite like having Moore at 15, however him and Postlewaite will prob fill in at centre with Hume suffering a bad injury.

I actually applied for the first Q&A with the new CEO to ask exactly that, but didn't get a ticket.

I would say every province has a history of those games, Ulster beating an all-conquering touring Australia team in '84 is a touchstone up here. But again, it was the amateur era.

As far as Kok goes, we lost Lyttle last season, we're losing Addison (at least) this season, and there are questions over the eventual quality of Sexton/Moxham. The majority of our talented U20s in the last few seasons have been forwards. I don't think it's that outlandish at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Yes, Ulster always played the touring sides, even beating the Aussie Grand Slam team in 1984 and even drawing with the All Blacks way, way back I think. Ground was always packed to the gills…….

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Kok looks a very good signing. Let's be honest you can list 8 wingers if you want, but only 3 or 4 of them are URC standard or above (Stockdale, Baloucoune, McIlroy and Lowry). Moore isn't a winger.

I believe Kok also plays centre so his versatility will be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Very excited to get Deegan if the rumour is true. He does so much stuff well and will add alot to different versions of our pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Deegan is a brilliant player. Good on him for taking the plunge.

Saw a report that we've offered Murphy a one year contract. Makes zero sense. If you're letting him have a crack, back him. Give him time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

He should just say no...easy for me to say of course...but a one year contract is a nonsense.

It may also change how he approaches the season. A quick fix will be necessary for him to keep his job and that may not be in Ulster's long term interests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Blackheath

Ulster have some really good back rows, I really like Sheridan but I am guessing he will end up being n the second row. I assume the first choice back row will be McCann Timoney and Deegan, if Deegan signs . It’s a decent back row well balanced

Advertisement