Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Where is Roderic O'Gorman?

No comments from him in last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭aidanodr

But I do wonder this .. how do we know these current migrants are expecting handouts and houses? How do we know these current migrants do not want to get on their feet and work? Has anyone asked them? Or is it assumed everyone who comes here are free loaders ( I have no doubt some are, but many others are probably not )

Plus their are still calls across US political system to make the UNDOCUMENTED IRISH legal, who are still in US - illegally

BTW, as far as I am aware, those people here seeking asylum have to be put up in some way and treated humanely via our membership of the EU and the fact we are signed up to various international accords re migrants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

Anything to be said for the our taxes now competing against ourselves in the search for housing, suvigirl? Will immigrants now be detrimentally affecting our housing supply?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

This is not true. A considerable minority, usually around 1/4 of asylum seekers do indeed turn out to be illegal immigrants with no valid claim to asylum.

Now looking at the UK situation, there's a reasonable chance those coming across the border are the ones with most to fear of being sent to Rwanda and therefore potentially a higher proportion of illegal immigrants. Hopefully we get some stats on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭engineerws

In a world where the Ukraine war has not happened it might not be such an issue. I guess AS are the most obvious cohort to punch down on but that in itself is exacerbated by the allegedly high proportion of non genuine asylum seekers.

We're now in a position where we have one of the largest born foreign population in the EU but seem unable to support our third level students and couples looking to get married/ have kids with accommodation. It seems the thought of people skipping ahead while Irish citizens are disenfranchised is driving people round the bend.

I spoke with an FF candidate today. I just asked him what he thought and his answer was the influx needs to stop and more along that line. He got quite animated. That's striking coming from FF.

We probably need a year or two off from this carry on so that people can settle down and integrate and tempers come down. Not sure what's going to happen but a bit of guidance from government about what to expect might help. They probably need to put in limits, e.g. 20k asylum applicants per year and rest turned away.

I think a big issue is the things that haven't happened, i.e. the African population is booming, how would we cope if 1 million turned up tomorrow looking for asylum. Having a plan around such potential issues would be helpful but up until recently the government has refused to address any and all concerns. I think they should address all concerns, (no matter how outlandish) and give a roadmap for 10 years so people know what to expect. That might calm things down especially if they stick to their plan and build trust.

It's actually pretty sad, it feels a bit like we've been lurching from one crisis to another since 2008. While understandable in some places to a degree and in the circumstances, seeing Irish people uniting against immigration/ asylum seekers is awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Tefral

Why dont they apply through the Visa System then before coming here? There is loads of job requirements on there for which you can have a Visa to work.

There is a huge (and I mean Huge) deficit of workers in the Construction Industry. A General Operative can get 17e/hr without any qualifications…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Our Taxes have been competing against us for years, if you weren't aware that councils have been buying private houses for years, you must have been asleep! Missed out on a.house myself last year because the council bought it (well over the odds too)

its another abuse of the housing market by government. time to start building massive housing projects, should have been started 14 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Could we not say the same about the Undocumented irish in US at the moment who are there illegally for decades in some cases? yet calls from here to make them legal.

I agree re deficit of workers in the Construction Industry etc. So those here at the mo, fast tracked through the system, either deported or left here in space of months THEN offer those still here legally jobs to plug the deficit of workers in the Construction Industry perhaps.

This is the disastor we fell into last few decades with this direct provision system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Tefral

In America, they wont give you a home and a medical card and Social Welfare if you are not contributing to the state, here they do….

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

When did you buy your house? How many times your salary was it? Was it easy or difficult to buy?

Maybe you should try putting yourself in the shoes of todays young generation, rather than pontificating about how easy life is these days?

Was there 12,000 homeless in the 80s by the way?

• Advertisement

In light of this morning's tender, would you agree these IPA immigrants are now detrimentally affecting our housing supply?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭willyvanilla

I'm not going to blame you for being wildly out of touch, but you are.

Its probably a wonderland now for those who got through the hard times of the 70's and 80's, quadruply so if you more than likely bought housing and have watched it increase in price to the stratosphere. Congratulations.

As I said above there is still a sizeable cohort who are "okay" in Ireland. But it's all transitional, we are very much moving rapidly into a broken society and the cohort of the comfortable will inevitably shrink, and the cohort of the uncomfortable will grow.

I'm not going to go into some ridiculous back and forth about hypothetical situations, but it's safe say that childcare is becoming increasingly inaccessible, housing is all but non existent for many and growing and so.

Thats what matters most to anyone, and you better believe that if you were without a home right now and suddenly on the receiving end of trying to compete to get anything, absolutely anything, at eye watering prices that essentially negates "gainful" employment, youdbe singing a different tune.

But you aren't, so you're not, and your opinion on how good people have it is entirely irrelevant if not agitating in its misplacement.

You overcame whatever challenges you faced, now get out of the way for those who have statistically worse challenges now. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Good post and echos my point about capacity.

Thats really the only thing that matters.

What is the expected inflow and what housing stock do we have today, and in the piepline, to accomodate that inflow.

If the inflow is greater than capacity then people are living on the streets. Which nobody wants to see.

The govt should be producing 2 to 3 year plans that model the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I would suggest that everybody in the country affects our housing supply.

Yeah its hilarious that there's a bumrush from third world countries all over the entire world trying to squeeze onto a tiny island with social welfare that pays more than 6 months salary at home in a week.

while the people of the tiny island are sent up **** creek from the resulting lack of infrastructure.

For one lot its amassive improvement in life, for the other lot its a massive downgrade in life.

Youd be in stitches about it, it's comedy heaven, a laugh a second.

This situation is going to be sorted out one way or another, and it's going to be the furthest thing from "funny".

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If they turn out to be bogus then they are deported.

So even acccording to your numbers 75% are legit asylum seekers not illegal immigrants.

So the more arriving into the country, the worse it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Did you read my post? As I said housing is the biggest issue facing the country today. It's not right but it's our own failure not immigrants.

Lots of our homeless was emigrated in those days too.

Outside of that the country is much better than it was then in almost every way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

» I spoke with an FF candidate today. I just asked him what he thought and his answer was the influx needs to stop and more along that line. He got quite animated. That's striking coming from FF.

The difference in outlook between FF Cabinet members and FF local reps/FF supporters is quite something.

All 3 major parties in Ireland are completely out of touch with their members. In fact, the widest gap between the party parliamentarians and their support base is actually Sinn Fein.

It seems that only the small parties and independents are actually in touch with their supporters. Especially the Soc Dems with woke twenty somethings and the Greens with the eco-dweebs.

I specifically asked about IPAs, will they now detrimentally affecting this country's housing supply in light of this morning's Tender?

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭boetstark

Well said and what happens when the money dwindles. Corporation tad from foreign companies contributes massively to our tax take. See the sh#t hit the fan when that dries up.

We are very much same as you. Came back to ireland in 2001. Hoping to take early retirement and be gone again.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Will0483

They've all passed through at least 10's of other safe countries before they come here. That is called tourism really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Yes we could say the same about Irish people living illegally in the US. Irish people living illegally in the US does not make people living here illegally ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Well, I don't see what you find mystifying about it — you'd move abroad for what you perceive to be a better life like any other immigrant (and without claiming clairvoyance, I'd be pretty quick to bet that Ireland will continue to be a generally safer country than many of those that asylum seekers come from — but they are all sob-story peddlers as is said) and you'd live in a property that a native person might otherwise have had and use services that might otherwise be devoted to native people.

It's interesting, after all, that we never see anyone on here berating the young people of Ireland for flocking to Australia at a time where Australia is experiencing a housing crisis — or even places like London for that matter where young British people are also being priced out of their native market. But of course — we will be quicker to point out the differences to other types or nationalities of migrant before we would ever dare to acknowledge the similarities.

Everyone coming into the country affects housing supply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

“End the migrant scapegoating for government failures“ it says on the back of my constituency MEP social dem candidates flyer.

I appreciate some in society do blame migrants for everything(the took our jobs brigade) , but I’ve yet to see a TD blame migrants for any of the other ongoing generational issues. I’ve also yet to see the government say it’s because of migrants we are having x issues - so all in all a bit of a weird thing to put on the back of a flyer for someone I’m expected to take seriously in a European election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭boetstark

No they aren't. 6700 applications rejected last year , 100 deported. How ofter does this have to be repeated. We do not deport

Advertisement