Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in Anti-EV Media Articles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Not quite the insurmountable issue you are trying to make it out to be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Range anxiety… do most people travel 300km plus a day? That's 78,000km per year based on a 5-day working week (x 52 weeks) - the national average is 19,893km (combined for petrol and diesel). Most new EVs can do 300km on a full charge easily. The reality is that range is not an issue for most people if they can charge at home.

The holiday comment is an outlier, I have seen tons of EVs in Dublin airport so a lot of BEV owners don't have a problem. Also, with a little planning, it's not an issue.

Battery degradation - the average annual battery degradation is 2.7%. Therefore, after 10 years you will have lost 27% on average. ICE cars also degrade due to carbon build-up and they will lose power and efficiency - nobody seems to want to talk about that! ICE cars also have around 90% more moving parts than a BEV. More parts = more maintenance, more replacement parts, and more things to fail. ICE cars also need regular servicing and many diesel engines develop problems with the DPF because they are being used for purposes that are not suitable for a diesel engine - such as frequent short spins.

Higher insurance - my insurance went from over €600 on a 2L diesel to €305 on my BEV. I have step back and protected NCB so I have better cover for around half the price. My tax went from nearly €700 to €120.

Terrible resale value - I agree, but a lot of that is down to the FUD, in my opinion.

Patchy charging infrastructure - I can charge my car at home… can an ICE owner fill up at home? I have used public charging 3 times in a year and many other BEV drivers are the same. I agree the infrastructure could be better, but it's not as big a deal as it's made out to be. Charging at home is a game-changer though.

Multiple apps / charging cables - Come on, you're scraping the barrel there.

Price of EVs - They used to be very expensive but they're getting more affordable. My MG long-range was cheaper than an entry-level VW golf.

They aren’t convinced with EV yet. I think a lot of the articles seen as being anti-EV are simply stating the above.

Therein lies the problem. The articles are not accurate and in many cases, they cherry-pick what suits their agenda, or what will generate the most clicks… or they're just lazy copy-and-paste jobs with no real research.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,254 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think his point is that while since some of us are open to trying something new others aren't. Often for valid reasons.

Post edited by Flinty997 on

And my point is that in many cases the 'valid reasons' are not valid. If I had a euro for every time I heard/ read the range argument, my car would be paid off. We live on a small island where you could travel from Malin head to Mizen head with one stop to charge… yet the range is always brought up.

Most of the arguments against EVs I hear are from people who are just rehashing what journalists say, and the journalists are often just rehashing inaccurate or outdated material.

Take Newstalk for example, this week saw Anton Cabbage a self-proclaimed petrol head talking to Nadia Anan, an independent dealer who has stated that she won't sell EVs and constantly puts them down. Naturally, they were discussing EVs… and not in a good way.

Post edited by RoboRat on

• Advertisement

I accept that. But you can bring a horse to water but you can't make him drink...

And it's considerably harder when you have people shouting don't drink the water… but they can't give a valid reason as to why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

If you are listening to Anton and Nadia and taking advice from the both of them. Honestly you have bigger issue in your life than what car you drive

Time to walk away at that point and ignore them.

I'm happy to engage if someone wants to ask a genuine question about EVs. But too many times on these forums a question isn't genuine it's just bait so they can post anti EV rants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭techdiver

I want to be positive about EVs. I currently drive a 2017 Diesel Skoda which I plan to keep as long as possible, but accept that my next car will probably be an EV. My family probably are probably the ideal target for an EV. Mostly short runs around town with occasional long distance drives to the in laws.

The problem many people have with adopting EVs is the uncertainty and planning aspect of travel. At the moment I get into my car and rarely even look at the fuel gauge. I drive until I see that I might need to fuel up and can do so in countless places across the country. Due to the absolute shambolic nature of our infrastructure in Ireland I cannot do the same in an EV. Having to plan a journey like a WW2 pilot (obvious hyperbole before anyone latches onto this comment) doesn't appeal to the majority of people and until that can be addressed widespread EV adoption will be slow.

The other thing I hear many point out about EVs is battery degradation. Like it or not, that fear is real. I have yet to see compelling evidence that ICE engines suffer the same level of degradation as EV battery's and we are essentially in the infancy of EV adoption (i.e. it will be a while before we see real data on a large data set of battery wear). If this is all a myth and scaremongering then a simple solution for the manufacturers is to voluntarily give lifetime battery warranties. The fact that they don't paints a picture to me. And no, you can't compare it to wear parts of an ICE car when the cost of replacing an EV battery can range from anywhere from €5,000 to €15,000+. And despite the "long warranties" that are often given, as we saw back earlier on the thread manufacturers will weasel their way out of it easily due to small print.

To summaries the barriers to wide spread EV adoption in Ireland:

1. Journey planning. People just want to dive and not have to worry where to stop and charge. It needs to be as convenient to change your car as it is to currently fill up on diesel. At the moment that is a pipe dream. I know we have home charging, but if you forget to charge you car for some reason or there is a power outage and you need to go somewhere on short notice you are **** out of luck. For an equivalent situation for an ICE car you just need enough fuel to go a few miles to the nearest filling station.
    2. Price stability. As we have seen in the past year that current EV owners have gotten hosed with the price drops of new EVs. EV sales have dropped 14.2% in 2024 despite them being "cheaper" than ever.
    3. Reliability. Battery range/life anxiety is a real concern for many. Until the public as a whole can be satisfied that they won't be landed with a €15,000 bill 6 or 7 years into ownership people will shy away from EVs. Also, people are not satisfied with a battery losing so much range in such a short period of time. ICE's do not do the same.
    4. Environmental impact of manufacture. So the figures show that the manufacture of EVs are more environmentally damaging than ICE, the claim is they more than make up for it during their lifetime, but what is the lifetime of an EV? They haven't been around long enough and in great enough volumes to really test that in practice. We can have all the theoretical numbers we want but they aren't worth a damn without solid evidence.

Solve the above issue and concerns without soundbites and people will embrace EVs. Until then ICE will still be king for most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I do find the whole thing strange, why are people suddenly lapping up what a car dealer is saying and making decisions based on that? is the population gone a bit thick

A car dealer will sell what they have in stock, they are not going to sell you or tell you to buy a car they don't have.

Are people that gullible they don't understand this?

congrats, i think you have covered almost all of the FUD in one post and made it look like you are being genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭techdiver

You can think I'm not being genuine if you want, but your childish response adds nothing to the discourse. What about my post was pushing FUD as you call it? I said nothing inaccurate and was stating what my experience of people who fear adopting EVs feel. I already stated that for my next car I will be strongly considering an EV, but at the same time you can't ignore the barriers to entry. Are many of them laziness, fear of change? Undoubtedly yes. But you can't brush off the other points with cheap insults when your position cannot be proven.

It's an odd thread. I've posted maybe twice but have noticed the laughable defensive attitude of some posters as if you have insulted their mothers or something. Why that attitude? It's not constructive.

Just to back up my points above with references:

1. Battery degradation - 2.3% loss per year (which I don't think should be just downplayed) - https://www.geotab.com/ie/blog/ev-battery-health/#:~:text=In%20fact%2C%20overall%20degradation%20has,life%20of%20your%20EV's%20battery.
    2. EV sales 2024 - https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2024/04/02/electric-car-sales-in-ireland-drop-14-despite-rise-in-overall-new-car-market/
    3. I don't think I need to post fact and figures to backup Irelands laughable charging network.
    4. Battery warranties and expected lifetime - https://www.ecoplexenergy.ie/post/how-long-do-electric-car-batteries-last-ecoplex . 100,000 miles or 8 years done and something goes wrong with your battery you're **** out of luck. As I said above if manufactures believed in longer reliability they would back it up with better warranties.
    5. Let's not also address the elephant in the room of the lithium mines in the Congo. As long as we can feel superior to the polluters in their ICE cars we can turn a blind eye to modern day slavery.

To get more people to buy EV cars will take more than "You're just too stupid to understand how they work Bro!".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Well said, hard make a point here without some one or five jumping down your neck.

I would suggest you look at a phev, some of your concerns would be address with one, while battery degradation won't, the 2.5% loss a year would hardly be noticed on 100km range phev from skoda or VW.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

You've mixed up Lithium mining with Cobalt mining, something which is very quickly being removed from mainstream batteries.

As to warranties, are you also of the opinion that a VW Golf needs an engine rebuild every 3 years because that's the standard warranty term?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Actually in case of 1.4 TSi or 1.0 6 valve that was not far off :-)

Make a daft point a poster will be called on it. An open forum is not an echo chamber

The answer to all the above is if you want diesel features, buy a diesel.

If you want to post and not be corrected. A forum is the wrong place for that.

Because most of what you have posted has been addressed ad nauseum.

1. Journey planning - unlikely to be an issue unless you routinely travel 100s of km in a day. And if you do maybe an EV isnt for you. But given that you will wake up with a full battery if you need it and most modern EVs are good for 350-500 km of mixed driving chances are you wont be planning very often. If you do need to do it ABRP is a great resource and takes the guess work out of it. Most trips on the main motorways are well served with fast chargers that dont tend to have queues that i have experienced. Forgetting to charge i cant help you with but a bit like phones people tend not to. As for power outages good luck getting a diesel fill if the power goes out.
    2. Price stability - an issue at the moment but will be temporary, it's a relatively recent development. Its an issue when you go to change, if the ev you are looking to change to has also had a price drop then the impact may not be an issue. How are people getting hosed? Its only going to happen if you are selling your ev and not buying another EV or another car at all, which is going to be a small minority of cases, guess what when people buy them they tend to stick with them.
    3. Reliability - there is a lot less to go wrong and battery warranties are a lot longer than engine warranties in most cases, im not sure why you'd expect a lifetime warranty? Do you think replacing an engine (which is far more likely to fail) in a bmw after 6 or 7 years is going to be cheaper than replacing a battery? How many people do you think have actually paid 15k to change a battery?
    4. Degradation - if you have a 10 year old EV i guess it may be an issue, but ive seen Teslas with 270,000 km that still have 91% of their original capacity, i dont think its nearly as big an issue as people would like to make it and its not as if ICE engines dont degrade over time, lose HP, lose efficiency etc.
    5. If you are worried about modern day slavery then i think batterys in EVs should be the least of your worries and there are a lot of things in your day to day life you might want to avoid.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

From the article you linked. If you're going to link something, maybe read the key takeaways at least?

And I also looked at the individual cars they took data from. The vast majority are (obviously, but it seems this needs to be stated) older models with older battery technologies. 2019 (the latest I could find) is 5 years ago. That's aeons in modern battery technology.

Let's not also address the elephant in the room of the lithium mines in the Congo...

Hmmm... yes, indeed.

I assume you mean cobalt... this is being phased out of batteries but do you know what's critical to the refining of petrol and diesel... I'll give a clue... it begins with C and ends with... obalt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Apparently Portugal has the largest lithium deposits in Europe. /random fact

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Spot on @RoboRat Cobalt is used to reduce sulphur content in diesel. More distance driven in a diesel = more cobalt mining.

An EV with cobalt onboard, it's the same cobalt regardless of mileage. It has only mined once and as it's stored in the batteries can be recovered in future.

Reverse FUD for the laugh. What becomes of refinery cobalt sludge, is it incinerated? Pumped as a liquid sludge below ground in Saudi Arabia? Pumped out to sea? Concerned ICE drivers who care so much about the Congo should stop buying fossil fuels immediately :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Bought my first EV last year and my insurance was €500 for the E tron from memory the insurance on he A6 quattro was around €700.

Yep, complete hypocrisy. Up there with the spontaneous combustion BS, which was debunked by the Australians.

I'm not bothered, if people are happy to continue propping up the oil barons, knock themselves out. I've got my solar array powering my car 6 months of the year for nothing 🤑

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Still better than getting to work on a bicycle, and more stylish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭crl84

I heard that, along with grade A knucklehead Paul Williams on the panel also. Apparently he won't buy an EV as you "can't go from Dublin to Leitrim without stopping for an hour and a half to charge up".

Advertisement