Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

No change in the models as far as I can see.

Maybe peoples definitions of washout needs to be defined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Heavy sideways rain with an East breeze since about 7.30am this morning. Car reading 6c. What month have we again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Malin head the current hot spot at 10am 12c.

Hazy sunshine and feeling warm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭pauldry

Warm in Sligo now 14c. Should tip 19c or 20c before the day's out. We always do better in May than other places.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

What is described in Kerry as a dirty day, spitting away overcast and very cool. To think I was only discussing with my wife a week or so ago about getting sun loungers .…the problem is finding space for them out of the rain 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Damp drizzly morning in Galway City, very calm however, still got out.

Next few days not looking particularly great at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A chilly morning here in Meath but at least it's not raining and the sun is popping out every now and then. Looking at the radar and it looks very wet across the southern third of the country. Rain is likely to be more widespread over the next few days especially across eastern, southern and central areas of the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Very dark drizzling rain in Galway not a breath of wind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Saw my first ever sundog yesterday evening, South co. Sligo. Stunnig view! No photo, as I was driving. Will take a look into a dashcam footage later, hopefully it's there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭pureza

Suns peeped out in Arklow,milky but sun nonetheless

Its 15.3c but with a north breeze

We've dodged a bullet here do far,with most of the rain just south of here overnight

• Advertisement

Over 16c in Sligo with hazy sunshine. Glorious day. I'll take a pic later

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It's warmed up a bit now here in Meath and milky sun every now and then so not too bad of a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,200 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

1pm

Finner 18 degrees

Cork Airport 8 degrees

North

South

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,683 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

14:30 curracloe beach 11C in the car and it’s absolutely chucking it down.
    Horrible weather.

19c Finner and Castlederg. I can’t remember the last time it was 10c warmer up here than Munster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Shocker of a day in Cork, absolutely grim

19.1c in Sligo

8c in parts of Cork.

Country is upside down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Just woke up from surgery, gone cloudy here in dun laire sorry can't spell it correctly, heading back to carrick this evening, crazy contrast in temperatures 8c in Cork to 18c in northwest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Beautiful afternoon Meath. 17⁰ all in the tshirts. Bliss. Some contrast to posts I see in the sunny south east.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 goingmadted

Whats causing this? 8 degress in clare. 16/17 degrees in the northern half. Batshit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Easterly winds and low pressure, often the south is more vulnerable to rain in such a pattern whereas in a westerly (unless there's a southerly component), the opposite is often true.

Edit: Thanks to @pureza for a more relevant, in-depth explanation of the current case scenario.

Post edited by sryanbruen on

Technically, it was 27C at Magilligan on 16th June last year but 17-18C in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭pureza

Its a warm front stuck between two low pressures

The front is straddled in a NE to SW axis across the country with unusually the warm sector to the north behind the front

The air though north of it isn't a northerly obviously even though it's a northerly or Northeasterly or westerly

It actually returning continental air circulating in with the front that traveled up through France last night then into GB and pivoted westward to Ireland,sucking in all its warm sourced originally French air with it

It has some residual thundery activity on it thanks in the main to the source air

Thats whats going on

Just looked at the actual synoptic there (first time in days), couldn't have put it better myself. Thanks

Edit: Actually 9th May 2016 a better comparison but still somewhat different. 14-15C in Cork that day whilst nearly 26C in Donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,882 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Met just said Finner hit 20c today 😥

hopefully today is the last day of winter daytime temperatures in Ireland until at least November. A fairly significant warm up overall from the middle of next week with high teens to low 20s possible. High pressure should get going for a few days from about Wednesday but remains to be seen if it will extend into next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I took our wooden loungers out from the shed for the good weather last week and they're gone rotten in places from all the rain they sat under last year!

• Just a cracker of a day in SoCoDon (south county Donegal :)...It had a genuine warmth to it, more like the end of June, start of July vibes. Great to top up the vitamin D levels, with a nice day forecast for tomorrow and end of next week looking great too.

• Advertisement

Great day. Perhaps the warmest day of the year locally but I was abroad for part of year so might have missed it, 20c in Finner and Castlederg . Even locally there was a big contrast, while it was 20c in finner it was only 10c at Donegal airport.

Advertisement