Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Zoe, i3 or other?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭allinthehead

No, I was actually going to go look at it this evening but he marked it as sold about an hour ago.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 21 natexornate

Ah okay. I was following that one a bit. Thanks for getting a photo of the damage, a bit more than I was expecting for a "perfect condition, minor dent" car. Probably a decent deal for whoever ended up with it.

I should've gone to look at that leaf when I had the chance.

I contacted the owner of the gold i3 too. Wanted to travel up from Cork Saturday but she said someone's looking at it before I can get up.

☀️

He should've had it in the add, very dishonest really the way he photographed it.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 21 natexornate

Absolutely, a person is either going to be okay with it or not. Better to not make them ring you up and ask for a photo of it. Or worse, travel to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭gossamerfabric

If you were actually frequenting enough EV forums elsewhere in Europe rather than being pre-occupied with hearing yourself condescend others here on boards.ie you would know about some of the failures which make older EVs un-economic to repair or people grin and bear e.g. failure of AC on Zöes and motor bearing failures on i3 along with struts being almost a service item.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

While you have to be ready for a bargain, you shouldn't rush, or worry about losing out. Something else will always come up. I lost out on a nice dealer Tekna one for 10.5k, but in the end, waiting meant I bagged a better deal, because the seller I bought the current Leaf from had been left stewing for a couple more weeks.

I reckon this one has been simmering long enough and could be worth a haggle. I would set their expectations before planning to view.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-2018-40-kwh-n-connecta/36567545

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭fafy

Could just be another tyre kicker.

There is a good choice of Leafs around, 553 on done deal, but not so many i3’s, a much rarer breed in the wild, just 49 on done deal, and only 2 under 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,348 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

EVs can have expensive repairs. So, instead of buying one within budget, you should get a loan to buy a slightly newer but also out of warranty one that you can not afford really? I've heard it all now. That's about the worst advice I have ever seen given on this forum. I'm glad the OP isn't taking heed.

Unkel, you are a gas man. You are doubling down on your position that people should buy in to the earliest vehicles from a nascent technology. Stay on the reckless bleeding edge with your own money rather than doling out your "advice" to people who may find themselves walking because they can't afford an unexpected repair bill which writes off their vehicle. Will you be there to help them then?

I can only recommend early EVs to those who can afford to take a total write-off.

• Advertisement

So you still recommend an €18k out of warranty ID.3 to someone who can only afford to spend €8k? And your only justification for that is that it is newer thus less likely to have costly problems? Insane.

Yes, I recommend any newer EV over an older EV. The Zöe matured greatly over its model lifecycle…and you are still not backing down on the reckless advice that you are throwing around. Why don't you mosey over to the Relationships sub-forum and advise people on their relationships which are going through a rocky patch while you are at it.

If you aren't there to help people when their cars won't change out of neutral show some restraint with your advice.

For those of you who can afford the risk of a complete write-off I recommend an i3 as they do the job of feeling genuinely "special" which is hard to come by these days. For those of you who can't I advise to keep well clear and keep clear of early ZÖE and Leaf too.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭vicM

Sticking to the facts despite your personal attack on the poster, the OP has a budget and that is the main guiding factor in this case. You have recomenned an Id3 to the OP which is a good car, however, it is also VW real first EV and whilst they have now updated it to levels/features consummerate with a modern EV, we have to remember at launch such basic features like scheduled charging did not work, yet the Zoe,Leaf and I3 all came with this already working as it should. You claim the Id3 software is being updated - I think SW ver3.5 is as far as it will go for current crop of Id3s.SW ver4 is incompatible with the current HW.

You speak of write off due to failures on the Zoe,I3 and Leaf. are this widespread cases or particular cases you have seen on the many European sites you are on. I have seen particular cases of motor failures on some cars but what you are hinting at is in my opinion scaremongering.

You are the one making a personal attack by accussing me of scaremongering. It isn't scaremongering. Co-workers have been left with Zöes and i3 vehicles in workshop for months. It is just a fact that doesn't sit well with you. Newer equals less risk as the technology is maturing. Getting a car coming off lease or PCP is your best hope of avoiding expensive faults partly through regular maintenance and partly through EVs are becoming more reliable as the Manufacturers learn how to build them.

Our fleet management team for example send mails to all employees as their car approaches end of warranty to get issues addressed before warranty expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭vicM

It is scaremongering as its made out to seem those cars are written off enmasse (your words - get an I3 if you want a car thats written off)..looks like you now have co-workers with cars sitting in garages for months. defo scaremongering.

So what newer tech is in and Id3 that's not in an I3?

Anyway the OP has a budget and looks like they are doing the prudent thing and sticking to it

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

I think it’s clear from the original post and subsequent post below that the budget won’t stretch to buying an id3. The suggestion of a id3 did pose an alternative option that may have been helpful to the original poster but they don’t want a loan or finance so that ship has sailed. People are offering great advice that is in keeping with the original post and budget.

Back on topic, the i3 is the one to get, after having a leaf & zoe, still makes me smile and no noticeable drop in range despite the milage and being 8 years old.

“Budget is ideally 8k. Will stretch to 9 if needed and I won't be taking on any loans, finance etc”

Anything I should be looking out for if I go to look at the i3?

☀️

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-i3-stunning-i3-z-e-auto-low-mileage-sat-na/36255075

What are the thoughts on this "low mileage" 🤣 one?

I know it's above budget but I think we could go to about 11k. Extra piece of mind with a bit of warranty, they've been in business quite a while too. I bought a 523i from him years ago.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Accident damage would be my number one, service history or evidence of service work and low amount of owners is always nice to have. They are an extremely reliable machine that are proven over time to have one of the best battery systems on the market.

Peace of mind.

Tyre depth gauge. I3 skinny wheels are odd and have a lot of work to do. I found the i3 always lost traction on onramps and offramps

service history

Obd scan before and after test drive. Inspect suspension and braking surfaces.

Aircon must work both hot and cold.

• Advertisement

That gold one has 6 owners😬

Where would one get an obd scanner? I do have a VAG scanner 🤭 but that only gives engine codes on non VAG cars.

☀️

Look on German website going electric.de in the BMW i3 subforum and translate.

i3 skinny wheels is hardly a factor. I changed the ones on the front for second hand ones from eBay for little money, for an all square 5.5Jx175 setup. Steering is heavier but the car is like on a track now

Bought mine (142) exactly a year ago, zero issues

Do not buy a car with latent or patent suspension problems which may have been exacerbated by decisions taken by former owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭fafy

personally i couldn’t live with that interior ! ,but thats a personal taste thing, car looks okay, has the larger 33.2 kw battery which you probably don’t need, and its 3.5 k more, and NCT is out of date.

The Lucan silver 2016 one is still on the table, costs way less, nct till March 2026, and is not yet sold, and should be price negotiable.

Tyres need to be checked, and used as negotiating tool if they need replacing. I got to around 26,500 kms on the original set on my i3,

i3 tyres are more expensive than standard tyres, but as your mileage is low, and its a 2nd car, thats not a big issue.

Service history - see what has being done, and get a pro to look at it if thats possible

Check heating and aircon are both working as has been said.

Post edited by fafy on

Very subjective those interiors, I prefer that mustard colour over the dark leather and wood. The NCT would be sorted on that dealer one prior to purchase.

☀️

What can we say? Just a great allrounder, most efficient EV ever made, Korean cars have the best build quality in the world. Comfy ride, very pleasant, decent spec, can fast charge quickly, very cheap to own. And that price from a dealer (so with warranty) isn't bad. Will do your round trip in the most atrocious weather with plenty to spare, even if you drive like a lunatic

Very different car from an i3 though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭eagerv

Looks a very well minded single owner car with average mileage. Very easy car to live with, was our first EV and really liked. Also I think white suits the Ioniq, though I am sure unkel would disagree..😁

• Advertisement

Some nice shiny black wraps on grille and maybe roof will ease the pain a lot. But it would still be white 😁

Advertisement