Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023-24 UEFA Europa League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I have a feeling that if Leverkusen's "magic" season is going to go awry, its tonight - not losing the tie obviously, but maybe being beaten in 90 mins. (though they are never beaten in 96 or 97!)

Having said that, though, their last 3 league games see them play Frankfurt, Bochum and Augsburg, and it was Bochum on May 27th 2023, who last beat them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Not looking like it right now. 1:0 up Roma at sixes and sevens and players starting to get ratty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

what a monster of a team that is - 6 games away from a nigh on perfect unbeaten season in all competitions, winning everything in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Semi-Final 1st Leg Results
    AS Roma (ITA) 0 V 2 Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER)
    Olympique de Marseille (FRA) 1 V 1 Atalanta (ITA)

Semi-Final 2nd Legs
    Thursday 9th May (20:00 Kick-offs)

Atalanta (ITA) V Olympique de Marseille (FRA) - (Agg 1-1) - Live on TNT Sports 3
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER) V AS Roma (ITA) - (Agg 2-0) - Live on TNT Sports 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

What a time to be a Leverkusen fan! On one hand, the "unbeaten" thing in the league could be a hindrance as they go all out to maintain that record, even though the league is wrapped up and maybe should be looking to rest players ahead of the cup competitions. On the other hand, the "unbeaten" thing has them absolutely driven to protect it at all costs and they've obviously built huge momentum. I'd just hope for their sake that they don't blow up spectacularly in the finals and lose one or both! But, it's some story developing there…

The last minute equaliser at Dortmund recently was the perfect example - league already won but they went nuts when they scored and avoided defeat. That was a huge result for their belief.

Definitely makes the EL tricker alright, though at least they've second division Kaiserslautern in the domestic cup final which gives them a great chance there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

My buddy is a Lautern fan and he thinks (hopes) that's where they blow up!

Last night’s win for Leverkusen leaves them on 46 unbeaten, just two behind the European record of a Eusebio-powered Benfica, who went 48 unbeaten between December 1963 and Valentine's Day 1965.

These games remain, 5, possibly 6.

Sun 5th May German Bundesliga Eintracht Frankfurt 16:30 Bayer Leverkusen

Thu 9th May Europa League Bayer Leverkusen 20:00 Roma

Sun 12th May German Bundesliga Bochum 18:30 Bayer Leverkusen

Sat 18th May German Bundesliga Bayer Leverkusen 14:30 FC Augsburg

Wed 22nd May Europa League? Bayer Leverkusen? 20:00 Atalanta/Marseille

Sat 25th May German DFB Cup Kaiserslautern 19:00 Bayer Leverkusen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

leverkusen on the cusp of their 1st defeat of the season. 2-0 to roma. 2-2 on aggregate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Leverkusen pull 1 back so going through as things stand, will the push on for an equaliser to keep their unbeaten run going or shut up shop and take the result and go onto the final?

• Advertisement

OMG another late injury time equaliser, what a fcuking season they’re having.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

last kick of the game to keep them unbeaten, unreal from Team Alonso

Semi-Final 2nd Leg Results
    Atalanta (ITA) 3 V 0 Olympique de Marseille (FRA) - (Agg 4-1)
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER) 2 V 2 AS Roma (ITA) - (Agg 4-2)

Final
    Wednesday 22nd May (20:00) - Live on BT Sport / Virgin Media
    Atalanta (ITA) V Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

It's a pity Leverkusen can't play Real Madrid in the Champions League final. Another team this season that keeps getting out of jail late on.

and they equalise in the 96th minute. should have known better

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Delighted for them, an unreal team this year. Really hope they win the final. Atalanta will be tough though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

Just about got away with all those changes, in terms of the unbeaten run. I love this team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A new European record at 49 games, beating Eusebio's Benfica.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

What's the actualy world record?

Lost for words at this stage. How many times have they pulled it out of the fire in the dying minutes? Would this be the first time a team goes unbeaten for a full season in competitions, or did I hear that was done before? Celtic or Benfica possibly?

• Advertisement

Celtic holds this record: Celtic currently hold the UK records for an unbeaten run in professional football: 69 games (60 wins, 9 draws, 197 goals) from 7 May 2016-17 Dec 2017 (lost 4-0 away to Hearts), 577 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

That's domestic only; Bayer are unbeaten in domestic AND continental games.

Benfica had the record for all comps at 48.

Final
    Wednesday 22nd May (20:00) - Live on BT Sport / Virgin Media / Free on Discovery +
    Atalanta (ITA) V Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Got tickets for me and son for Final, any idea where Leverkusen and Atalanta fans will be located in the stadium? I'm block 523 which is top right corner of west stand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Heading to the game tonight, think it should be a cracker, would love to see an Atalanta win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Are those not attending hped for tonight's game? Ashamed to say I couldn't name a single player on either side…

• Advertisement

Its great not to go into a final hating one team.

Both sides are playing really good football this season and have guaranteed Champions League football next season.

For Atalanta, I know the ex-prem players : Lookman, Scamacca, Kolasinac and Zappacosta, but I've definitely been following the second best team in Germany, since they pulled clear of Bayern, and started to dream of the impossible. We all know Xhaka and Fosu-Mensah, but getting to be household names are Frimpong, Wirtz and Adli. Schick I knew from Italy previously.

Just because of the unbeaten run, I am going with Leverkusen tonight, but won't be gutted if they lose. If they get to extra-time, then, technically, they remain unbeaten, technically!

I'm backing Toloi to get booked, as he will really be up for this, but will be under massive pressure from Leverkusen. Once that happens, early, I hope, then I can relax :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,479 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Given where their meeting points are, I'd imagine Leverkusen north and east, Atalanta South, but it is a guess...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Some atmosphere here already.

Hopefully it'll be a cracker. Unfortunately won't get to watch it

Bloody hell, far too easy. Really awful from Palacios. Atalanta playing well so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Now that's a nice finish.

2-0 to Atalanta - great goal, poor enough defending again though. Mountain to climb for Leverkusen already. They're the masters of the comeback, so always possible, but they need to improve fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I remember this Atalanta press from the Liverpool game.

Smothering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fully deserved lead so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Centre forward is badly needed or they will not get back into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

Leverkusen a bit rattled. They can't get going at all. However, some of their best stuff has come late in matches.

Leverkusen not at the races.Xhaka should be subbed off. Missing passes and silly shots from miles out. Needed Grimaldo to take their easiest chance. Referee lenient enough. Thought Zappacosta and Hincapie should be in the book. Scamacca could have been off. The run ends here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Atalanta have certainly bossed this. Great pressing and Leverkusen can’t cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭mikekerry

Not the first time alonso has been losing a major final to an Italian team at HT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Not the first time he was 2-0 down to an Italian side in a final and lost either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

I think Xabi has done a Pep here. He's overthought his lineup and ended up negating his own teams strengths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I dunno.

Are the Atalanta players on performance enhancers or something?

They are never tired, first to everything.

Wow, Grimaldo off… big call that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Very disappointed with Leverkusen tonight after all the hype

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Atalanta's pressing might be beyond anything I've seen from any team. To do this for 90 minutes is insane.

Haven’t seen a hat trick of this quality in a long while if ever, wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

some strike. Wow

Hat trick and the pick of the goals - Quality !!

Holy shït, great finish for his hat trick… done and dusted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Wow fair play Atlanta. Would love to have seen Bayer Leverkusen go unbeaten in all competitions but this will mean so much to Atlanta

Advertisement