Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mcauleydjm

Not sure on the Greenworks model - but on the parkside I have there are no guide wires, only the perimeter wire.

What you can do is setup different start points along the perimeter wire and a percentage of time it uses that start point, I used this to help with 2 issues:

1. To prevent a track appearing where the bot takes the same or near enough the same exit path from the charge station each time
    2. On one lawn, about 750m2 in total but consists of 2 main sections joined by a long narrow strip - I use start points on one section, in the narrow strip section and in the other section to ensure the bot reaches all areas.

Your mower might have something similar.

To get back to charge station, the parkside follows the perimeter wire in a clockwise direction, so it will get back eventually from anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Are the batteries replaceable on these? And how are greenworks to deal with on warranty etc say compared to Lidl?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gokhan83kurt

Hi there.

I have a Einhell freelexo bt500 mower. Whenever it turns back to the station It becomes so difficult for it to dock. Although the leading perimeter wire is so straight, the mower doesn’t go to the station straight. It wobbles (because It is edge mowing). However It needs to go so straight on the line to be docked easily. At least in the final stage of turning back to the station. How can I overcome this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭LubaDriver

Looking forward to hearing how the 2 operates for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jack_wicklow

How's it going, folks?

I'm in a bit of a pickle here and could do with your wisdom. I'm after a robot mower for my garden that's more hilly than a roller coaster at Tayto Park!

I've been researching the Husqvarna 450x and the LUBA 2 AWD 5000. It seems like the LUBA 2 can handle slopes of up to 80% which is grand compared to the max of 50% for the Husqvarna 450x. With the hills I've got, the LUBA 2 is looking mighty tempting, especially with a price tag of €3145 – and that's before they knock off another €100 on this mowers Ireland based website I found. The Husqvarna 450x is up there at €5,101.00, and I'm scratching my head wondering if it's worth the extra money.

I'm leaning towards the LUBA 2, but I'd be mad to turn down a bit of sound advice from ye lot. Has anyone had a go with these mowers on a slopey garden like mine? Does the LUBA 2 live up to its claims? And is the Husqvarna 450x worth raiding the piggy bank for?

Thanks for any help you can throw my way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭pajoguy

So far so good. No issues at all for me. Set a task to cut an area for Monday and it didn't due to rain which was great.

I arrived home from work yesterday evening and it was just finished its tack for the day. I normally would have had to spend 3 hours cutting and cleaning up afterwards on the ride on.

I still have not oved it to its permanent location bust waiting to get an external socket fitted. Id love to place it up against garage wall and install RTK up on gable of garage but not sure will the mower have signal there? The RTK would be directly above the base station. Any advise would be appreciated.

Hi,

I saw that mowers website alright but I didn't find any feedback on it so when I was making the investment I went with somebody recommended by Lysters in Athlone.

My Luba handles slopes of somewhere between 35-40 degrees in places no problem. It was the option I took as I wanted a wireless solution that could handle slopes and I can do the mapping myself. The dual cutting disc also cuts down on time aswell as systematic mowing. I find it leaves a lovely pattern on the lawn. Not for everybody but I like the stripes in the sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,895 ✭✭✭✭listermint

80 percent gradient ! I'd love to see that everyday. Seems unlikely even on anything remotely slippy.

A section of my lawn is minimum 35/40 degrees as I had to cut into the ground at rear of house when building. The embankment varys from 20 to 35/40 degrees. The luba has come down turned 180 degrees and straight back up. There is no doubt this area eats up more battery but the tyres on the rear seem to be able to manage. Im not mowing on wet days although is has done it with the morning dew still on the grass.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Hi Folks,

Are the Lidl/Parkside robot mowers any use? they have them in today for €200..

In my garden the grass is raised up and there's a fall off on the edge where there are railway sleepers, so will a robot mower do as a robot vacuum and notice the edge and not drive itself off it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Mr Q

You would install the boundry wire the correct distance from the edge, the mower will stop before the edge based on the wire location.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭blackbox

The 450x is not 4 wheel drive. The Husqvarna model for slopes is the 435x.

Speaking of luba 1 experience as the vision system negates some of these issues, especially while out mowing. RTK directly above the base station is fine as long as the rtk has a clear view of the sky, all around in a 45 degree direction (think of it like an inverted cone). The rtk and luba have to see 20 of the same satellites to get a location fix, so the more the rtk can see, the better luba will work as it moves around getting shaded by obstacles.

As for placing it close to a tall wall, it's generally advised against that, but if you have a 180 degree view of the sky at the base, it might be OK. The problem with restricted view locations though is that it works sometimes - you might have enough satellites in view one day, but the next you don't and the schedule will not start.

If I were you, I'd try it - especially if it's the ideal location all other things considered, but I'd also be prepared for a plan B if it doesn't work. Moving the base is straightforward since you can do it without remapping. Moving the rtk is a pain in the arse though.

One word of advice is to definitely get a fixed permanent location for the rtk that can be remounted between seasons. If mammotion shut their servers and the app becomes inoperable at least you will be able to cut your existing maps with the mower mounted buttons. That's really the big risk with the mower - the company doesn't make it and closes the servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭ra0044

I have the Einhell Freelexo and found I had the same issue. I solved it by moving the docking station to a couple of meters or less from the last turn. It then doesn't start to wander as much as it doesn't have a long straight before docking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭jamesd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Thanks for the reply...I had been wondering too about the guide wires being so close together and whether that would bean issue, what with them being only about 4 feet apart...

But reading the blurb on the Lidl mower for example, they would be even closer as it states the mower will cross the wire for 20 to 30cm before turning...so in the case of my 4 feet narrow strip, I would be placing the wires at least 1 foot in from the border on either side!

Is that the case for all these mowers that they cross the wire? I had assumed it was like the dog wire boundary i.e the mower wouldn't cross the wire...thoughts??

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭WildWater

I'll be setting up my Luba2 over the weekend. The easiest place for me to set up the RTK is on the garden shed at the back of the house. However, the house will be between it and the front lawn. Will that cause issues? I know it doesn't have to have line of sight but a whole house in between?

My other option is to put it near the boundary on one side of my site. This would give line of sight to 100% of the back garden and about 98% of the front. However, there is no power over there so providing that would take a bit of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jack_wicklow

Thanks, mate!

I ended up buying from that website Mowers.ie - Barry replied to my emails quickly, and they are also authorized dealers for Mammotion's LUBA 2 here in Ireland. Excited and anxious waiting for mine to arrive. He said that it should be with me by Saturday at the latest on Monday. I will keep you guys posted.

Cheers...

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭SocialSpud

Hi folks,

I bought the Worx Landroid L2000 1.5 years ago in anticipation for my new lawn. The lawn was very delayed but it should be ready in about a month. Thing is, I see some more advancement has been made in robot mowers since I first bought it, especially with the Luba 2. The Landroid is completely new in the box so I can hopefully recoup most of what it originally cost me. If it was you, would you keep the Landroid, or take the opportunity to get the Luba 2 instead and sell the Landroid?

Its a lawnmower. As long as it cuts your grass with the most minimal interaction from you. Forget the rest. That's the entire point.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 41 pacman114

Anyone buy direct from mammotion? Looks to be slightly cheaper than mowers.ie

edit: Sorry looks like its not available in Ireland from their site

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Morning all

It's my first full day as a robot mower owner so needless to say, there are many questions. I've sent them to the installer too but might as well get stuck in here.

I got 2 mowers (wifey didn't want dropped kerbs) a Kress 101e wired mower for the side, and a Kress 172e RTK for the front and back.

101e

It'll cut away happily until the battery runs low, and then goes "home" to charge which is fine. The issue is, it doesn't seem to come out again. I have to tell it via the app to start. Not sure if I'm doing something daft? The 101e is a pretty basic model so I don't seem to have a map of the area to show cutting progress etc as I do with the bigger unit.

172e

Yesterday evening I had 2 occasions where it lost position and ended up shutting down. I set it for a full cycle again starting at midnight and it has been OK since, it did lose position a few times but got going again after a few minutes. Is it normal for it to have some teething problems first time out and does it "learn" the garden a bit as it goes?

And on a separate note, I'm sure it's been asked before but save me the torture of searching…

Insurance. Does house insurance cover the mowers in the event of theft? If not, are there companies who offer it?

I know that the mower won't operate outside of the area that has been mapped/wired but the average opportunistic scoundrel doesn't know that and might be tempted to hop the wall and grab one.

No idea about the model but sort out that hanging electrical box. The top mounted cable entry will funnel water right into that box gasket or not and it will fill with water in any showers. You'll murder your equipment.

Yeah that pic was taken during the install, I'll be tidying it all up and shortening the cables later today.

It should be OK. I have mine mounted on the pole it came with so it's quite low to the ground (location still has a perfect sky view). When luba is mowing the front lawn, the signal has to penetrate a long low bungalow. No issues with the rtk signal to date.

Can't guarantee success for you, but I think you'll be OK. If it's not, you always have the option of putting an Eir sim in it and using RTKn (assuming you have WiFi reception at the rtk) . You'll get massive range with that.

The other thing with Luba is that it's my personal opinion, from reading all the issues users have had is that it must be covered while it is parked. Water ingress has been a a problem for luba in the past. Lidl have a robot garage this week and it is apparently a good fit. I can't confirm this myself. It seems it's OK if it gets caught out on a shower but if it's sitting on the charger in sustained rain, that can be a problem.

Speaking of water ingress, I can't recommend strongly enough to never use the hose to clean the underside. Yes, they advertise it as a feature but it completely depends on the integrity of some flimsy rubber boots staying intact and the boots are impossible to inspect without dismantling the cutting mechanism. A brush and gloves is fine. If you have access to compressed air, that's even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

from reading all the issues users have had is that it must be covered while it is parked. Water ingress has been a a problem for luba in the past…. It seems it's OK if it gets caught out on a shower but if it's sitting on the charger in sustained rain, that can be a problem.

That would be a red flag for me, if true. This is Ireland, its going to have to handle lots of rain. It spends hours out around the lawn. If its taking in water while parked, it will take it in while mowing.

• Advertisement

Kress guy said similar yesterday. The bigger mower is advertised as fine to be washed down with water but he said not to bother. Just brush it down or use air. I'll give it a blast with a leaf blower maybe, or just gloves & brush as you say.

The smaller Kress is clearly marked as not safe for hose washing.

Advertisement