Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Yeah, you'll leave it at that because you know full well you are derailing the point and taking what I said well out of context. Of course there has been war and destruction perpetrated all over the world by all races and ethnicities, but the person I responded to was talking about multiculturalism in Europe ... so the conversation was focused on Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

there is no balance on irish radio or RTE. None. Lads travelling through multiple districts before they think ya know i’ll give Ireland my next stop. And we are meant to feel sorry for these lads? seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

People are ignoring the elephant in the room when it comes to housing. Its not just finding accommodation for incoming asylum seekers, whether its 13k or 20k this year. We have currently around 100k Ukrainians in Ireland, most of who are likely to stay here. Where do we find houses for these, they can't live in hotels forever.

Again, apparently nobody is able to read the post without jumping to wild conclusions. So Europe has a violent warring history and pointing this out means that I am saying that Europe should destroy itself again ? I mean, yeah, I can see why you think my argument is unhinged — if you take the argument and apply a completely random unhinged view to it that I came nowhere near suggesting.

If someone says that European cities are in decline caused by migration, it's perfectly OK to actually set out a historical timeline to — ya know — actually look at whether Europe is in a worse state now than it was before the migration trends of the last few decades.

So yeah, go mad about that, have a cry, interpret it as me saying that Europe should burn everything to the ground, or actually address the point. Up to you.

Try this:

1. Read the first sentence of your post to yourself again.
    2. Read my posts on this point.
    3. Discover that you are making the same point as me.

By the way, point of order and all. The rebuilding of the post-war European economy was funded by the US....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

From the article…

Planning rules around modular builds may be changed to give the State the
    ability to build a greater level of rapid builds for international
    protection applicants as well as Ukrainian refugees.

At present, regulations allow the Government to fast-track the development
    of modular units for Ukrainian refugees. Two Government sources said
    that this may be extended to include units for international protection
    applicants and, eventually, students.

You can see the governments priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Summer2020

And the best part is it was some of the locals who volunteer with Tiglin who suggested it to them ! no doubt the local residents are delighted with their do gooder neighbours. Confirmations to be held there this weekend also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Sure didn't they do it in Cork recently. To hell with the upcoming future of the country.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41311549.html

While I am unsure as to why my comments make you think my grasp of world history is appallingly bad (you can let me know which of those factual events I mentioned didn't actually happen) you, like a few others on this thread, seem to really hone in on some white guilt narrative. Bit sensitive and all.

Sadly, the point was being made about multicultural European cities becoming unrecognisable or in decline. So if someone says that, I am inclined to say OK let's go back and see what wonderful high point we were at prior to multiculturalism. For reasons beyond my self-hating control unfortunately,that means looking a time when it was more or less just white Europeans about the place* — so that's where my apparent "weird emphasis on skin colour".

This is not to say migration has not caused problems in European cities. It absolutely has. But the more dramatic, sensationalised outcries of Europe and its cities declining from migratiom from some glorious high point before modern day migration mean that it's perfectly rational to actually set out this timeline of apparent decline.

*please don't freak out lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Spin up a thread so.

What white guilt narrative? You are the one who brought up skin colour - i mean who would have thought that the people of predominantly white countries, would be, well white? Which has nothing to do with the current refugee policy in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

To be fair, not much balance is allowed in this thread. Posters here are so reactive and never try and understand the more insightful posts. If posters come on this thread and don't immediately state that immigrants and NGOs and whoever else are the devils work, they are immediately and forever labelled as lefty whatevers.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Absolutely nobody has an issue with sustainable migration here where people can be housed and contribute and have certain skills.

Knowing some Ukrainians, many of them are highly qualified individuals who should be given the chance to work in their fields of expertise. Potentially they are a great addition long term to Ireland. Likewise other skilled migrants.

What we are seeing now is not sustainable.

We also need to tighten up what are and are not safe countries. Anyone who flies into Dublin airport with luggage and a large sum of money on their person, who are obviously reasonably well off, coming from an allegedly unsafe country such as Nigeria should be sent right back.

out of curiosity, what would you consider a more insightful post?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Well it's more the insightful posters. The clearly intelligent ones that know their stuff. They tended to be hounded. Boards has become like that recently. I only dip in and out but this Arthur lad has interesting viewpoints.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭Damien360

this came up a few weeks ago with a person local to the area telling people this building was happening. At the time, it was believed no planning permission was required due to refugee usage. Now it seems it doesn’t have PP and requires it. Has the state and councils suddenly awakened to the clamour among the voters ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Play stupid games win stupid prizes , they've crossed the canal now, that's too much, the fruits of a system run on toxic empathy

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I've never argued in favour of 'increased' immigration, more that governments shouldn't get involved in trying to manipulate the figures for political reasons. Ten years ago we had net immigration of zero, ditto during the Covid crisis - that's just the natural ebb and flow of how immigration and emigration works.

On the specific issue of refugees and asylum seekers, I wouldn't have any issue with a strict tightening up of the process nor against deportations. The UK Rwanda scheme is downright bonkers and deeply cynical though…..deporting people from the four corners of the globe to some random, unstable country in Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I believe they agreed to leave early this morning, so were allowed to sleep there for the night only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Overreaching much? While im sure there are some in the 620 pages on the thread, the majority of posters on here would have suggested no such things.

• Advertisement

wont be the last though, "agreed" and ""allowed" come across as very weak, it really should be move or its batons and pepper spray

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Not withstanding this is an Internet forum that maybe 5/10% of the population frequent and I'm referring to our national broadcaster.

I can only speak for myself but I'm open to different view points but the vast majority of this thread is polarised. Both sides, not just anti AS side.

I've yet to see any points from the pro side that have made me go, oh thats fair I hadn't thought of that.

Because rightly or wromgly my opinion is this not overly complicated. The AS arriving here are not AS.

No amount of tongue tying will convince me otherwise. So I don't believe we owe them anything under international obligations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭jackboy

I know nothing about Rwanda. Is it still unstable?

With regards to deporting people from around the world to a random country in Africa being bonkers, that is no different to asylum seekers from around the world coming to a random country in Europe like Ireland. Either both are bonkers or its not relevant.

Everyone who does not agree with your view point is then, what? Stupid?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

But I thought these people were just spongers.

Why is there so much hate against them when you can see in the video that these people are clearly not having a good time.

Quoting tweets that hashtag "ireland is full" says a lot to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

What I struggle to get me head around is, that's a significant investment.

Why would someone take a punt on something of that scale unless they had information that they would recoup their invesment? How could someone be so brazen to go ahead with no planning.

That is a similar question I have for a lot of the hotel acquisitions that were in non viable locations to run a normal hotel.

The business case would be weak for a quick ROI to run a hotel businesses if any return at all and investors would get a better return elsewhere. Why suddenly were these acquired and a few months later being turned into DP centres.

The whole thing stinks of widescale endemic corruption. Have we any investigative journalists in this country at all?

"Who would have thought that the people of predominantly white countries would be, well, white."

I dare say the penny has dropped. I was making a comparison to "multicultural" Europe and pre-multicultural Europe — the original argument being that multiculturalism has made Europe unrecognisable (which I take to mean unrecognisable in a bad way, therefore a decline, but happy for the person who said it to clarify). So I'm comparing one to the other — and pre-multicultural Europe was pretty much all white Europeans.

That's it. Not saying "white people bad". Not saying multiculturalism has brought peace and love. Not saying wars and atrocities haven't happened all over the world and committed by all races. The conversation was about Europe — and decline — so I am comparing the present day situation to the past situation. Because that's how decline is measured, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭Damien360

logically, all these businesses must be relying on a state bailout like 2008 should it all go tits up. The banks must be supplying the cash so we may end up back where we all started as taxpayers forking out money to save very wealthy individuals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Advertisement