Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naval Service General Discussion - Fleet, Manpower, Policy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The opinion piece is 100% correct.

The boats haven't been commissioned yet, so still time for a change, and I've already written to Micheál Martin to do precisely that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭sparky42

OK,I guess, each their own, but I would have thought there are a few other areas defence related to write to the Minister about before we whine about the names of a couple of ships…

There are indeed.

But if we are to believe the claim that it was Eamon Ó'Cuiv who swayed the Tánaiste's mind on the matter personally, its clear those other defence areas are not an especially high priority for him.

Just to note, I have written to him before on a couple of defence matters, and I did include a few other things when writing about the P70 names.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The author's name didn't ring any bells in terms of defence so I had a look. This seems to be his first piece on anything Irish defence related, but he has other stuff like; "I have a great idea for men ahead of International Womens Day…" and "Dublin has a historical deficit of streets named after women".

Looks like he has a particular axe to grind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mupper2

Delete.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭roadmaster

On Naval Social Media they show crews working on the IPVs and also say Armamwnt Upgrade. Is that a GPMG or have they installed the same system as the Mowag cars?

Surely a GMPG wouldn't take a large amount of work? I mean enough to make a point of it?

A GPMG wouldn't be considered an armament upgrade for that vessel. They are already fitted with mounts for 3 12.7mm HMGs. The photo shows the hoist fitted to remove ammunition from the ready use locker. You don't need a hoist for a box of MAG belts. You also wouldn't need a hoist of that type unless you wanted to move a large ammo box for an uncrewed weapon.

Another photo shows Inflatable liferafts being loaded back in their mounts by a mobile crane ashore, as both vessels get prepared for sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭tippilot

Can we assume it's one of the Rhinos that have recently become homeless?

It should really be a stabilised RWS.

• Advertisement

I understood they were due to get a stabilised 30mm system with remote fire control, like a DS30M or NSG30 or some such.

if so, does that suggest a path for the replacement of the secondaries on the other ships?

While the ships were originally fitted "for but not with" such a system, all the relevant plumbing was removed before they left NZ. It would have tied us into an Israeli Made system that we were not already using (Rafael Typhoon).

My money is on Rhino, until Rhino's are due for replacement. They are relatively new, in gun terms, and the IPV deck is already strengthened to mount anything up to 40mm.

We would probably have seen a manufacturer's press release if it was anything new.

An improvement on the HMG's no doubt but a tough ask to maintain accurate fire in rough seas with an unstabilised mount.

I was just thinking the same. Its all very well to have spare Rhinos going, but they aren't really fit for purpose on the Lake Class.

The Rhinos are manual and not stabilised for a bow position, aren't they?

Unless of course said use involves actually hitting something.

There's a reason any live firing of the Rh202 you'll see involves very short bursts. It's a dumb bomb Vs smart bomb scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭thomil

Very stupid question here:

Could it be possible that the P70s are meant to be a test bed for a remote gun system that is currently not in use? As in “evaluate the system’s performance before placing a wider order and rolling it out to the fleet at large”? Given the apparent restrictions on the Defence Forces’ current remote controlled gun systems with regards to naval use, at least if I’ve read this thread correctly, that would make quite a bit of sense to mine. Besides, the acquisition of the P70s would have given the opportunity to get such a gun system with relatively minimal scrutiny, since a lot of money had to be allocated to the purchase, transfer and refitting of the ships anyway.

As I said, this is likely a very stupid idea, but I’ve seen stranger things happen…

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

No such thing as a stupid question, unless you're Jonnybigwallet of course.

But yeah I understood the plan was for a 30mm stabilised system with remote fire control and all that good stuff. But any such system would already be proven in the wider market and there wouldn't be a huge proving exercise required for use in the fleet.

Right now the P50s and 60s have the only armaments they are going to have in their service life, probably, and there wouldn't be much cause to make a change unless a missile system was to be introduced, which a) isn't on any cards and b) likely wouldn't fit without removing some current utility being removed.

The NS already has plenty of experience with electronic fire-control weapons in the OTO Melara 76mm on the above ships, so all in all, the adoption of a remote 30mm system for the P70s wouldn't be a complex process.

The plumbing was there, in NZ service for a Rafael 30mm system, same as on NZ opvs, but it was never fitted. The control console was fitted in the bridge though. I'm reliably informed it was removed before the ships made the journey north though, as the paperwork around NZ selling an Israeli made system to the Irish state is more trouble than its worth.

That said, while fitting the spare Rhinos may be an option, the rhinos themselves are trouble at the moment, ever since some bean counter decided the NS should use the leftover stock from the AML 20s recently retired by the Cavalry Corps. While the gun may be the same in all means possible, the fact one ammo lot of 20 x 139mm was sourced from the outset to be used by a land based vehicle, and not to be used at sea stored at sea in a mount designed for use at sea, the far too frequent stoppages may have told them this may not have been the best plan. There would be 6 spare Rhinos in stores at the moment. 2 from L.E. Eithne, installed in 1984. Covered when not in use, but otherwise spending their lives at sea. All the rest, mounted on existing ships, or stored having been removed from the P40s, are ex German Navy, and were found on their major warships from early 90s until being replaced with the Automated 27mm Mauser MLG27 mounts in the 2000s. Thats not old in gun terms though. The 40mm L60s that were found on the P20s before their L70 upgrade all had manufacture plates from the late 1940s. The L70s all came from the 1950s.

I wouldn't rule out them being fitted though. They fitted a new Bofors L70 to P20, 2 years before she was decommissioned. All the Oerlikons fitted to the rest of the P20s as they were introduced in the early 1980s, had been replaced by GAMBOs in the 1990s, before getting their Rhinos in the 2000s. Its not a big deal to swap, once your deck is fitted for it on day 1.

The Navy doing a reruitment tour. I hope every port they visit they have a leaving cert classes coming in for a visit.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2024/0505/1447427-navy-recruitment-drive/

better 4/5th year classes I would say, if it’s leaving cert unless you get them early in the year many will have already picked their likely third level/employment areas.

Fair play for them getting out there, but if past performance is a guide to future progress, then the ambition to go from 730 odd personnel now, to 2,000 in 2028, is beyond fanciful.

If they want a 2k Navy they badly need to get the East Coast base up and running and even that North western base. The better geographical spread the better chance of getting personal.

If they had a base in Donegal they would have no problem getting crews from Sligo to Derry.

The 28th Battlion is proof it can be done.

Honestly, I'm fairly confident of the opposite tbh, its going to need some amount of personnel per base, and in Dublin you are still going to face the cost of living arguments. Will it generate any significant increase… Guess we will see in the 2030's.

The east coast base won't be in Dublin. It'll be somewhere like Wicklow, Arklow or even Rosslare Harbour. There's nowhere on the west coast apart from the pier in Rathmullan that is of any use. You need access to sea at all tidal states, the only other option is Foynes, and that's too busy as a commercial port, and too close to Cork to make a significant difference, operationally.

It won't happen until there are staff to spare to run this remote facility.

• Advertisement

The state could easily lease or buy an apartment block for personal to live in to help with the cost of living. It would be a lot cheaper than repairing 18th century building.

Do you think Dun Laioghre is not a runner?

Advertisement