Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭alps

The above is exactly how to get through this, unless you can't pull off a part of it, like you can't graze and you're out of silage. What kind of ideas have you in mind? We're going to set ourselves up differently next spring but from where we are right now, the above seems the right plan of attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭jaymla627

If the pattern presists, the reality is their probably needs to be 2-3 ton plus of dm in the form of maize/beet/concentrates and proper high quality silage, accounted for and made to keep cows properly feed and negate the effects of a year like last year and so far this spring…

But in fairness what the above does to profitability on your avergage farm producing 470-500kgs of ms a cow it destroys it, the margin simply isnt their to have to spend 700 a cow extra on forage/nuts, on top of the 1 ton been feed annually and the 4 months of grass silage been made on farm for the winter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Grueller

Dropped from 29 litres at 3.5p and 4.1bf to 26.5 at 3.35p and 4.1bf.

Fat never fell. Protein and litres did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭alps

TThat's a fair accurate assessement. The 700 euro would have to be reduced though and might be through marginally reduced grass silage requirement and a reduction in prolongued in parlour feeding.

You would question, at the end of the day, are reduced cow numbers the answer?...It's going to be a fierce shock to the industry (some running 14% behind day on day at the moment).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭straight

Got washed out of it here yesterday, finishing the first rotation today and started breeding also. Cows are coming up in yield but need sun on their backs. Hopefully the second rotation now and a bit of sun and I'll get them up over 2KgMS. Bit to go at the moment. 26.5 litres, 4% fat, 3.4% protein.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭ginger22

The reality is milk price will have to increase or there just will be no dairy in Ireland. We have European costs and regulations and world market price, something has to change. Lots of rumours going around of lads packing it in after this year. A few lads planning on not putting cows in calf this year, going to finish out the year and then sell the lot. Tillage is f,,,,d as well. The European farming model is broken across all sectors.

The milk production year is f**ked to put it mildly on a nice % of farms after the last week, if we had got a kind week this week cows might of recovered and hit some kind of respectable peak but thats not going to happen now

Youll see a few smaller co-ops in the next decade be taken over by the big 3, if kerrys processing was to be mothballed and dairygold/tirlin take over that milk pool it would be saving grace re processing actually been utilised for these two, but if the derogation is pulled for 2026 all bets are off, you could be looking at a 25% plus drop in milk supply

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

those of you that have cow heat detection systems in and are serving OAD

Are ye serving early cows (ones that come bulling in the morning) twice or are you leaving them till the following morning ?

I’ve been just serving those cows the morning they’ve come bulling and leaving it at that but yesterday I had 14 bulling and 9 of those are still in the zone for ai this morning, I’ve 10 in the crush for ai this morning and 3 have only started bulling this morning

should I be serving these cows a second time or should I be doing them the following morning ?

Pre collars we only ever served OAD in the AM and what ever was on was served and that was it, and we got decent conception rates

I didn’t get a good conception rate to 1st serve last year and I’m wondering could this be sone of the reason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭ginger22

The forecast for next week is good. Silage harvesters will fire up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Jack98

Hasn’t it given all the farmers on traditional dry land a taste of what it’s like to have to contend with 5+ month winters and maybe now they might have an appreciation for the shite heavy land forces you to deal with and adapt for every spring not just one in every five. If we didn’t have at least 5 months silage in the yard here come the 1st of November you’d be selling out every spring, adds significantly to costs but that’s the cards you’re dealt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭dmakc

No chance of doing the 3 bulling in the eve? Going by the breeding window charts here and what annoys me is scenarios where this morning is deemed too early and tomorrow morning too late, so getting AI man twice a day if necessary.

Another conundrum for me is vet tells me later the better and AI man tells me earlier the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭visatorro

I'm not AIing much 2 fellas in DG said the just ai at 10 in the morning whatever shows up in previous 24 hours. Even if she's only just on the app. Both using sexed semen and conventional beef straw. 2 good lads would be no bullshit with them, both said they got on fine

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

If derogation goes the game is f##ked in West cork and on marginal land.mahoney j was complaining that teagasc weren't giving out advice but they know the ship has sailed except on the farms with large acerages of good land and considerable capital available already to continue the investment rounds.clover and that kind of old rubbish doesn't work on poorer land and tillage crops are not an option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭tanko

If the choice is either early or late then late is better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Is there anything farmers can do to stop co-ops passing on the costs if they themselves become less efficient?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

One thing I noticed is that there wasn't much difference between wet ground and dry ground last autumn or this spring. Might learn to live with my wet fields a bit better.

I have to laugh at the lads blowing about getting to 200 cows. Now they have to drop 20 cows the whole thing is plucked. Not much hope for the rest of us.

I could go evening ai but we’ve never done it in 50 years of ai and always got on fine.
    Pre collars we would have served everything jumping but it’s just now I have the information showing me she’s not long started bulling and the fact I had a poor incalf rate to first serve last year it has me questioning my protocol

any way we left off the 3 earth cows to ai tomorrow morning, maybe it was the wrong thing to do 🤷🏻‍♂️

On a normal year we’d have all the dry cattle and heifers out for the start of March full time on the out farms that are free draining limestone ground, this was delayed about a month this year. We were lucky we always have a good reserve of silage built up but that was severely ate into this spring and now building it back up will be the challenge.

I saw on twitter one of our main female farming influencers declaring her farm will be unviable if they go from 220kgN/ha to a no derogation scenario and they’re milking between 180/200 cows I would say, what hope is there for us peasants….talk about sensationalism.

Give them a 24 hr repeat. AI mens heads will be wrecked with all these collars. My own man wasn't too impressed with them this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Gillespy

My ai technician says it's better to be early than late. The semen will survive at body temperature in the cow for up to 24 hours. Any cow caught in no man's land could always be done twice for peace of mind.

Yes

yes that’s the other option

But then does that serve go down in ICBF as a repeat and you won’t know what your conception rate to first serve was, that’s my query on that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

5 months silage…? jaysus according to ginger we have the best land in our parish yet we make enough silage to do us for 9months…. always make plenty of silage… going filling the diet feeder there shortly for the cows… got 15mm rain here yesterday.. and got 15mm as well on tuesday… if we were to get a bit of heat now there will be savage grass about..

'wet and windy may fills the barns with corn and hay'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

im sorry grasstomilk but f**k icbf, once the cows in calf that's the main thing. stats padding has the whole game in heap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

was talking to a lad not far from you who worked in the Dept. of Ag retired last year.. he told me 300-400 cows are being sold in Kerry each week… between marts dealers going straight to factories etc…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the_blue_oval

Could do the second serve the following morning to a different breed and make a note of it. You won’t know till next spring which they held too but at least you’ll know better for next years breeding if the early or later serve is working better. As said above I wouldn’t be too worried about what’s down on icbf as long as they’re in calf, at least you’d know better for next year.

Imagine if they had to survive on 130 cows. It would be some fall back to earth.

5 months minimum from November, not accounting for the silage the Milkers would have eaten in the backend. We’d always have a big surplus of silage around the yards come April cows would usually be out full time before the end of March and you need a good stock of silage as ground can change very quickly here, under 200 bales left here now and that’s after buying 50 or so bales at the start of the year as well, wouldn’t want anymore weather disasters.
    Put silage out for Milkers yesterday evening after they had gone out after milking, went out to check a cow at 10pm near calving and only a handful had came in, all in the shed early this morning hoping that’s the last silage fed out to them for a good bit now, weather is looking up thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Kerry2021

I was talking to someone in teagasc this week. I found him very informative and helpful. A nice man to be fair to him. He told me though that he reckons long term the nitrates will be cut from 170kg to 150kg. Sure at 150kg they’ll be putting an awful lot of people just out of business. Don’t think it would personally affect me but it’ll have massive ramifications for the co-op’s here in Ireland as regards their milk pool

• Advertisement

Hes assuming the current shower of politicains both here and in Brussels will be in power to ram through their green agenda, the european elections could be very intresting, and the above shower could be in the minority instead of the majority

Advertisement