Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options
1888990919294»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Desolation Jones is a fun story with absolutely magnificent art by JH Williams III. The first storyline is, plotwise, almost like a spoof of what mid-00's Ellis writing - but the strangeness of the secret underworld of retired spooks is conveyed really well through the art.

Unfortunately the second volume seemed set to be much more interesting, with some off-the-wall Philip K Dick wackiness going on, until Ellis had some weird-sounding IT Disaster that ate all his projects (AFAIK this was also the thing that killed Doktor Sleepless) and he basically abandoned it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I had forgotten about What's The Furthest Place From Here, the first couple of issues were good - I must go back to it.

As for King, I've not read enough of his stuff to form a firm opinion but I was unimpressed by Vision - the core idea of the story was kind of interesting, but it's also got that problem of adults writing about school in a way that has nothing to do with current reality. I remember enjoying his Mister Miracle miniseries a lot more, but I'm not sure that either of them go beyond "pretty good", and the art on both does a fair bit of the heavy lifting IMO...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Not a "Marvel Guy" by and large but I've been getting into Daredevil. Had read the Bendis run previously and have just devoured a good chunk of Mark Waid's work on it.

Got hold of volume one of the Buffy "reimagining" (essentially the same characters and plots but set in the present day rather than the 90s) and thought it was great. Definitely will be buying more.

And also took a punt on The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, had no idea what to expect but was very pleasantly surprised. Darker than I had thought it would be but that was a plus. Another one I will definitely be getting more of

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

https://www.marvel.com/comics/collection/107882/spider-man_by_chip_zdarsky_omnibus_hardcover

Bit of a mix as it's his relatively short Spectacular Spider-Man run plus Life Story and Spider's Shadow miniseries

Popped into the comic shop again after having done some more investigation and it turns out that I can still get the regular manga version of the later volumes of Dragon Ball - it's just that the volumes are numbered and branded as part of the Dragon Ball series (as opposed to how Viz has them branded as DBZ in the UK editions). The page size is larger and page count higher than the UK versions too.

While I was there, I picked up Paco Roca's latest, El Abismo Del Olvido, which I have a strong feeling is going to be about Spain's tricky relationship with its period of fascist dictatorship. To lighten the mood from that, I also picked up the collection of El Show De Albert Monteys, which I'd previously read in the digital Orgullo Y Satisfacción series from a few years ago. More on all of the above as I read them, although I may end up starting Dragon Ball from the beginning while I'm at it…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Deadpool kills the Marvel Universe is good, throwaway fun

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Marvel Zombies is the same, good fun and impossible to put down, fairly hilarious in places aswell.

Finished the re-read of Halo Jones which just brought back to me again what an incredible writer Alan Moore has always been. Must get back and finish the collected Providence, which I inexplicably stopped reading after the first issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

(Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth is a good time you like Deadpool and the Zombieverse)

I finished El Show De Albert Monteys and it was a very enjoyable re-read. As predicted I've now started reading Dragon Ball from the beginning again.

I have a hankering to read the new Hellblazer mini, but I can't figure out what the deal is with the Spanish editions (for all I know it's not even out here yet). Anyone read it?

• Advertisement

I'm almost 7 volumes into my Dragon Ball re-read, and it's largely enjoyable fun (although some of the humour e.g. Kame Sennin being a constant lech falls into not so much "hasn't aged well" as "was always kinda dodgy" territory).

The DC Universe of Mike Mignola - a mixed bag, from some great 80s John Byrne scripted Superman stuff to some absolute rubbish (the Phantom Stranger). Kind of accurately reflects his art style, in my opinion; I love his detailed work, and they include some great covers, but when he's bad……

The collection cover (from a 2001 Batman) is one of the ugliest, shoddiest things I've ever seen.

Chopper: Surf's Up, a collection of some of the Chopper stories from 2000ad and the Megazine over the years. Always was one of my favourite characters and some of this stuff is pure gold - Song of the Surfer and the Supersurf 13 storylines particularly.

Also reminded me of how great an artist Colin MacNeil was/is. Does anyone know if he ever did much outside of 2000ad stuff?

Are there any recent volumes of Judge Dredd stories or do they just not release those anymore? Any I ever look up its all very dated 1990s type stuff.

There are regular collections coming out as far as I can tell (both digital and physical) but it can be hard to find them because even the 2000AD webshop is ludicrously cluttered with reprinted collections of older stories. I think they're deliberately keeping the Case File collections to a fair way behind the current publishing schedule so as to not cannibalise sales of individual trades - the most recent one I see on the webshop is volume 44 which looks like stories from 2007.

On the other hand, "A Penitent Man" looks like the most recent collection of Dredd stories, and it's a reprint of a set of stories from last year. As far as I can tell, for any kind of reading order you're probably going to have to find a community-assembled one.

Thanks yeah reading order was my next question, very strange, people would pay big money for a properly curated collection.

I finished my re-read of Dragon Ball and am 1 volume into Dragon Ball Z. I had forgotten how much of the original series focused on the Tenkaichi Budokai tournaments, and some of the fights in there. I've got another volume of DBZ ready to go, but I also don't want to race through it so I've spaced my reading out with a few single issues I picked up recently.

Count Crowley: Mediocre Midnight Monster Hunter #1 was, unfortunately, mediocre at best. I picked it up because the Francavilla cover caught my eye, not realising that it was a variant cover. Nor did I realise that this is a sequel miniseries to a previous mini that I'd never even heard of, although it does make an effort to get you up to speed. All told, it's a derivative Fright Night-type story, and the fact that it still hasn't moved beyond that in its second miniseries tells me that this is not for me.

Blue Book #1 is a James Tynion & Michael Avon Oeming book, two names which are enough to at least get my attention, and the fact that Oeming is channeling Darwyn Cooke & David Mazzuchelli (to my eye at least) in the artwork seals the deal. I'm not sure exactly what this is yet - issue 1 reads almost like a documentary of 20th century UFO encounters, with a backup cryptid story, but it was enjoyable enough that I'll be looking for more of this.

(A bit of search-engine magic later leads me to this Substack post where Tynion explains that "The goal with BLUE BOOK is to take true accounts of UFO encounters and adapt them to the comic form, without sensationalizing or altering the
    course of events to suit our narrative.")

Quantum #7 is a recent addition to the UK anthology comic market, which caught my eye mainly because it was on sale in WH Smiths. I'm a sucker for the anthology format and was pleasantly surprised by this - most of the stories are serialised, and there is enough variety in setting and genre to make for a good mix. You can see that the folk behind this have looked at what makes 2000AD successful, and I really hope this works out and builds momentum for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I am reading the Blackest night mega crossover set of comics.

76 comics

I'll be honest, I am not familiar with all the titles. but it's going well so far.

On a whim I picked up Gente Basura recently, and it was a really enjoyable collection of single panel pitch-black humour cartoons. Very much in the same vein as Hugleikur Dagsson's Should You Be Laughing At This? in that some of the jokes will make you laugh out loud and then immediately wonder if doing so makes you an awful person...

I'm now reading my way through a recently updated collection of Charles Burns' Skin Deep.

Still working my way through Skin Deep, but in the midst of that I took a diversion to read Cthulhu #29, a Spanish anthology title typically focused on horror but in this issue doing a science-fiction special. It's a good mix of tones and art styles, with my personal favourite being the chapter of an ongoing adaptation of H P Lovecraft's "Beyond The Walls of Sleep", which opens with a clever riff on Windsor McCay's Little Nemo.

Once I'm done with Skin Deep I've got a double-bill of Paco Roca comics waiting, since as well as El Abismo Del Olvido I picked up a copy of his first feature-length comic, Arrugas. I've also got a couple of issues of Dominion Tank Police on the backlog that I spotted in a second hand bookshop.

• Advertisement

A recent bookshop visit enabled me to pick up the latest Blacksad volume, so instead of either continuing with Dragon Ball or starting on the Paco Roca comics I have in the backlog heap, I've started a re-read of Blacksad from the beginning. And damn, I'd forgotten just how stunning the artwork is...

Read the collected Journal of Luke Kirby/Summer Magic, vintage (well, 90s vintage) 2000ad. A darker take on the boy wizard story, predating Harry Potter and that DC Books of Magic lad by a few years. I loved it at the time, and it's ok-ish now, but I wonder why they never continued with the series?

I'm finished my Blacksad re-read and am all caught up - it's a gorgeous series to revisit.

Next up will probably (finally) be El Abismo Del Olvido, a good couple of months after I originally bought it...

I ended up reading Arrugas (Wrinkles) by Paco Roca yesterday. It's a good read, and hits fairly strongly despite not being very long. The story follows Emilio, an older man whose "forgetfulness" has crossed a threshold where his son and daughter-in-law no longer feel able to care for him, which leads to him being moved to an "assisted living" facility - a care home split between those who require only minor assistance and those who are more dependent on care home staff.

Films in particular have done variations of the "gang of older folks getting up to hijinks" idea several times over the last decade or two, but this is a much more pensive and poignant affair - this isn't so much "we'll have one more adventure before the final curtain" so much as "getting older has already taken so much from us, and it's only going to take more". In particular seeing Emilio's struggle with the progression of his Alzheimer's, and the budding friendship between him and Miguel (perhaps the only resident in the home who still has some desire to actually enjoy life rather than passively watch their remaining years slip away) is lovely to watch. All of the residents in the home are deftly sketched, with personalities and character flaws, and the book is more interested in these characters than in heavy plotting.

A lot of stories about people near the end of their life use a character's death as a way to wrap up the narrative, but here we get something that is simultaneously more impactful and less final than that. I suspect this one will stick with me for a while, and I think I need something lighter to follow it up - so I'll most likely be leaving El Abismo Del Olvido for another week.

Advertisement