Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

And nitrates of 110kg and a tax on cows.

Only the fittest will adapt.

Phunk the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

i think we seem to get a serious long winter every 5 r 6 yrs but this one took the biscuit. I would hope its not the norm. we have that el nino phenomenon at the moment which has affected weather for months but I think is to ease off . fingers crossed

Round up is a derogation measure too in the EU.

It won't be dropped because Bayer a German company have their suits well placed in the meeting rooms with a list of farmers to call on for the sob stories.

Yet we have organic farmers also in the EU that don't use Roundup already.

It was put under derogation so as to one day have it's use stopped in agriculture in the EU.

Tillage farmers whinged to the EU when the derogation was near up. They were successful and it was granted another 10/12 years. Whinging pays.

We have grassland farmers in Ireland being blamed for every bit going. From methane to nitrates that can come from tillage it's all on grassland. We have rates being reduced every year and no whinging. Phosphorus down now. Meal pr % down now. Milk quantity is back now because of this. But no whinging. We have soil testers on farms taking samples and if there's peat found you'll have very low limits of livestock allowed and be forced to block drains. But no whinging.

Whinging pays lads. You've forgotten how to and who to and to do it with enough numbers behind you. If you don't you'll be continually walked on till you have to pay for the pleasure of being walked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭mf240

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Fingers crossed the good weather forecast comes this week and puts a bit of power back in the grass

• Advertisement

Then he murdered the priests who abused him.

*ah we've all heard the story…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭mf240

He had to buy all his own milk quota aswell😃🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Kerry2021

A man tried to tell me today that dairy farming will shift entirely to the good land and it’ll all be gigantic herds, big teams of staff doing shift work running the farms, big rotary parlours… I told him what he said was stupid because there’s no margin of profit left in farming for staff to run a dairy farm. A smaller farmer can work for nothing himself and run his own farm for nothing but you’re not gonna get staff to work for nothing. What do ye think, how’s the future gonna look for dairy farming in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭older by the day

Well things change, but land prices, and inputs are too dear, at the moment plus the labor shortage. But if work permits were relaxed and land prices went down if a lot of the older folks give in there might be a change.

To be honest I would not like to see any of my children tied to the milking parlour. A one man band is a tough way of dairy farming. So either way I don't worry about it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

From what I m hearing foreign staff are a disaster. Its not the money that's the problem it's the living out in the country ,working on your own,away from family and not speaking the language so it's difficult to interact with people that's the problem.they get lonely and fed up and just feck off home one day and let things high and dry

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Jack98

With all the talk of people getting out this spring there was little to no difference in the volume of land entering the market either for sale or rent from what I have heard and seen. Add to that land has not got any cheaper. I can’t see land getting any cheaper in the next few years and all the talk is that land will become available but I just don’t see it happening anyone I know of that got out this spring held onto the land and went into rearing cattle and maximizing payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Until youve had the pleasure of having to work with these lads like i have when i was out in australia, its hard to fathom how useless/disintrested and lazy they are in 90% of cases you do come accross the odd good one but the majority arent even worth feeding as the ole chap would say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

It's been a late spring but nothing exceptional in my book. This is tough enoigcountry and we haven't had a whole bad 12 months around here in over a decade and if it straightens out soon it could be a grand year yet. In fact for the last 5 years we were blaming climate change we were so overdue a bad one based on the previous 30 years. The first half of last year filled barns with good fodder so no real grievance with 2023 here either.

It's a higher stakes game now though.

I wouldn't be bothered with the 9 months silage either, it's a big investment in infrastructure and stock There's always a load of silage or other feed to be gotten at cheaper than it costs to make it the odd time things would be running tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I know a farmer with a Kenyan lad who lives in a cottage on an outfarm. Good worker but only has pigeon English, knows nobody, only person he meets is the farmer. I'd be worried a lad like that would just snap someday!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Kerry2021

I noticed on the property websites there seems to be a good bit of land for sale in Limerick at the moment. I think with all this stuff about derogation being gotten rid of that land prices will stay good for the next few years but I think long term there’s going to be a huge supply and very little demand. Land prices here are totally out of sync with the rest of the world bar England pretty much

There's more workers now posting on TicToc. Some to me are after losing it already. The fact the farmers are allowing them post on TicToc to me suggests theres a desperation for any sort of worker.

This is not a modern thing either. I heard tell of a man reared on a farm no relation. But really used for slave labour with no life and no real education. He only gained something in retirement when moving to a council house in a village.

Very morbid tone here. 🤪😬

There'll be too many chiefs looking to set land and not enough Indians to lease land.

Everyone wants the easy life now.

On the dairy farmers moving in country that won't happen. This is Ireland not the US. There's no big spreads that if they were going to convert to dairy that haven't done it by now. Anyone now has no intention of milking cows and they'll stay at what they are at. No offence @Siamsa Sessions you are a fluke atm.

If you have a big spread on good land and shiny metal disease you'll continue at that. Autonomous tractors may help the labour issue.

It's only in some parts of the country some think of dairy in others theres never a thought given to it.

Its pretty stark in this example the effects the current weather is having on sean barrys farm and hit to production because of heavy ground compared to the rest of the group, 1.6kgs/ms a cow with 6kgs of nuts going in no farm could hack that moneywise when cows should be at peak milk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭stanflt

poor conception to 1 st serve was probably down to nutrition this time last year - weather was **** grass was **** and no sun

This year will be no different

we only serve once a day no bother

Oh and my ci is standing at 377days and we carry over loads of cows which if we didn’t would reduce that figure to 350 days and make a mockery of the spring system model as we don’t use high fertility bulls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭straight

How many of them are telling the truth I wonder.… surely a few of them adding on a .1 or .2 to their percentages. Also if sean is on heavier ground maybe he calves later and is further from peak.

The beef sub index is annoying me lately getting 1200-1400 euro for underfleshed cows straight out of the parlour, on -15 beef value cows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I just ignore the whole fookin thing bar health ….my carbon index is shite mantinance figure shite beef index shite ….yet I’m currently on 2.58 kgms and my calving interval is 368 days ….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭older by the day

I'm glad you posted that, because I taught my cows were broken. 25l and no rise the past week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭straight

Mine have been stuck too but starting to get better now. I only started calving in February. Finishing the 1st rotation today so hopefully they will push on from here. At 26 litres and protein is slowly coming up

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Bangoverthebar

Milk cooling question. I had a bigger tank bought but lost 10 cows with tb. I cancelled the new tank.

I reckon i will exceed my tank capacity by 400l odd. If i put cooled milk into blue barrels. Say 8am will it be ok at 3.30 for collection. Out of sun, dairy is insulated.

I dont think ill get daily collection by co op

Have milking daughters of one of the top proven sires in the world for methane efficancy, using the elevate test, of course their rubbished on carbon index here, theirs actually a internationally regconised test to individually test cows through their milk now and the icbf are still using a dodgey computer to generate their own carbon scores

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I dont think they're allowed to do this. Ask driver first maybe give him a few euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

With the temperature heading into summer i think it’s a bad idea having it sit there that long.

Advertisement