Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2024 F1 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,266 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Remember it well. Back then I used to get up early for the flyaway races so I was up early for both the Aussie and the Japanese GPs. I wanted Hill to win so I was happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭quokula

Newey is of retirement age and they've been succession planning for this for years. You can find interviews going a good few years back from Horner and from Newey himself talking about how Adrian's been stepping more and more away from the frontline and Pierre Wache (who has been Technical Director since 2018) and his team have been doing the vast majority of the design work with Newey pitching in here and there. For all the drama the media have tried to create around it, the reality looks far more relaxed when you see that someone like Max, who's never been one to mince words, is not overly concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Longing

Listening to Newey on Sky talking to Martin his comments point towards stepping away from F1 and time with his family. Maybe not retirement as he said one day I will wake up and say what's my next adventure. F1 or something else only he knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Colour me shocked if the day he wakes up and decides on his next adventure will be the day his gardening leave finishes.

Post edited by NinjaTruncs on

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I get that the Williams is not a great car at the moment and he's very loyal, but at some point Vowles is going to have to do something about Sargent... He's going backwards...

If Kimi Antonelli becomes available on a 2.5 year deal say, he should jump at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Never really thought about it but Russell/Albon would be a good line up for Mercedes. Would leave Sainz in a pickle however. I imagine Verstappen would be keen to keep Checo where he is and Red Bull would be keen to keep Verstappen on the good terms. The days where Bernie would force Red Bull to sign a tough opponent for Max are long behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Presumably if you're Mercedes you wait to try to get Verstappen. And if you're sainz you wait to see if Verstappen doesn't go, then they'll take you.

Everyone would be mad not to follow the process. If max goes to Mercedes then Sainz is out of luck.His only options are poor teams. But he hasyo bet on Mercedes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭gifted

Think you hit the nail on the head here...iits the media that has drove the drama in this years F1....First Horner and the complaint against him....now its Newey stepping away from RB.....take these away and all you have left is Verstappen winning every race bar a breakdown......a complete borefest.…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

If Max heads to Mercedes, do you not think Carlos would be top of the list to replace him?

• Advertisement

Yeah you're right. Sains should do nothing at the moment and take whichever one Max doesn't take

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Max will not leave Red Bull. He would be mad too and even crazier to go to Mercedes. As someone else said before its been 3 years now and Mercedes are still none the wiser on how to get there car to work good. It's still a donkey of a car 3 years after the new regs came in. Of course there is the new regs from 2026 but for this year year and next year Max would be wise to stay where he is to get these two WDCs anyway and he will have 5 WDCs then which is more than Vettel but not quiet to Schumacher or Hamilton level yet. After the new Red Bull Ford engine comes in then it will be interesting to see what happens will Red Bull continue winning or be on the back foot like Mclaren Honda were from some years back?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

I’m not so sure. Red Bull are leaking engineers. The atmosphere within the team appears to have soured. There’s the unknown of the new engine. That’s an unfortunate set of circumstances to have in advance of new regulations.

Mercedes have had a torrid three years but it’s hard to reverse a bad aero strategy when the cost cap limits development so much. It’s not unlikely that they could build a competitive car starting from scratch under the new regs.

Verstappen is surely becoming bored of his dominance and can’t but realise his reputation would be solidified if he was to succeed elsewhere. I can imagine him jumping ship for a huge salary at Mercedes. He knows he has the talent to bridge a two or three tenth gap. And if it doesn’t work out he’s young enough that he’ll have another opportunity at a top team.

Magnussen got 2 penalty points for yeeting Sargent in last night's race which puts him on 5 for the weekend and 10 total. He'll need to be very careful that he doesn't get another 2 or he'll get a 1 race ban.

Does make me wonder - if he did something to attract penalty points in the middle of a race weekend, does the ban apply for same weekend's race? Or subsequent race?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Nice to see things being shaken up a bit this weekend, safety car obviously a massive help for Lando but he kept Max behind him very well.

Ms

Why were some of the Mclaren pit crew in yellow jumpsuits?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Think the jackmen and the fire Marshalls wear yellow overalls

Ms

Awe OK. Is it the same on every team then? Never noticed before.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Mercedes have some pit crew in teal rather than black. Not sure if anybody else has change overalls though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,939 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

great to see mclaren getting back to the front of the grid, hope this continues, rb dominance is getting a bit tiring now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Jacovs

For those who are fans of both F1 and Lego…

https://www.lego.com/en-ie/product/aston-martin-safety-car-amr23-76925

Hopefully it means a big scale version of the AM on the way also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Cool, I see Jess Hawkins and
    Bernd Mayländer are featured in the image 😄

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I was watching some of the Italian F4, the commentary mentioned an announcement soon about Antonelli but stopped himself from saying anything, could Sargeant be getting the boot? . At around 25 minutes in he says it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I think he doesn’t turn 18 until August so unlikely to see him in the Williams before then anyway. Looking forward to seeing him in an F1 car but not before he’s ready. I know his car isn’t great this year in F2 but how has he been getting on compared to Bearman?

Yeah he isn't 18 until mid August but apparently the FIA received a request to grant him the super licence as he already has the points. He's had 4 top 10 finishes and one retirement in 6 races, his results have been a lot better than Bearman. If you are good enough to accumulate the points then you should be given the super license. There's also F2 on at Imola next weekend

Ms

Lol I love the way he goes

Quote: Soon to be announced eh actually I won't finish that sentence:

Lol

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Leclerc is getting a new race engineer starting at Imola, I'm going to miss hearing "we are checking"

Ms

It's 10 years ago,

Oh how he would love another but its looking like this could be Danny's last year in the sport.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Nah, I reckon if he sticks with the form he's had last 2 races he'll keep his vcarb seat. But his chance for red bull is surely over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,939 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

its very sad to see danny ric now, he had a hell of a lot of potential in his hay day, i ll be very sad to see him go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,477 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I was starting to.believe after he got a new chassis and immediately out performed yuki.

But a great result in the sprint followed by nothing in the grand prix..... I don't know.

I'm beginning to wonder if I was mad to think he was class and now he's not uo to F1 standard. But that's that happened, isn't it? I'm not imagining it.

Thinking of the great racing and brilliant late brake overtaking, he was class. Such a pity he's not at that level anymore.

But shur lookit, nobody died. If he's not good anymore then it's no no loss if he drops off the grid.

He was class. But couldn't handle or didn't want to handle the pressure of red bull becoming max's team. If he had stayed put he'd have a few more wins to his name and possibly would have been in a better position to challenge max at start of last season, but unlikely to have actually beaten him.

Still, he's extremely popular and has made a hell of a lot of money, he'll be grand.

He should do a season in indycar or nascar though, they'd love him in the States.

• Advertisement

I think you're missing the point that he's not good anymore. He's not pushing to the limit of his ability and falling short. He's not able to push to the limit of his ability anymore.

I think he's just finished. I wonder if he just re evaluated his life and realised he's grand and doesn't have to push himself to the limit anymore.

Hard to explaina guy who was class and made a fortune, lost his place in F1, came back and was not really good enough. All in his prime years.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭This is it

Nothing to do with any driver, just F1 in general, but isn't it crazy that half a second can be the difference between an amazing driver and someone who doesn't really care/has lost the edge.

My misses looks at me when I moan about LeClerc being 3 tenths off Red Bull/Max, isn't it crazy to think just how much 3 tenths means in F1!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

How do you know he's not pushing to the limit of his ability & falling short? How do you know he's not able to push to the limit of his ability? Do you know the limit of his ability? Sure he hasn't had great performances, I recall reading an article somewhere when he moved to McLaren and he was saying the biggest difference between Red Bull, Renault & McLaren was braking and he is having to adapt to a car which behaves differently under braking, he could be trying to still get used to this.

Yeah. And before, he was able to get great results and have great battles. Now he is being beaten by his young teammate who is grand, but nobody is suggesting is a top driver.

So either his level of ability has changed or he's not able to get to that level anymore. Maybe he's just failing to adapt to the last few cars he's had but that doesn't really wash. It's fine for one car, but he had that failing with mclaren, had it with Renault and now has it with RB. If its a persistent pattern then its just the fact that he can't adapt to the cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don't have an explanation for it but if you go back and watch quali from Monaco 2018, highlights are on youtube, it's like watching a different driver. Maybe he has just lost his confidence during the Mclaren stint and never got it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

He wouldn't be the first sub-par F1 driver to do well in the States.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I agree that he's no where near as good as he used to be. The point I'm trying to make is we don't know why Ricciardo has fallen from grace so spectacularly, but you have flat out said he's not able to push to the limit of his ability anymore - how do you know this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,477 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I don't think any driver loses the ability. They lose the need to put life on the line.

Once a driver starts to think.... Jesus I don't want to hit that wall, they are finished.

I refined the position in my last post. Either his level of ability has changed or he can't reach his level of ability anymore, or maybe he just can't adapt to the cars anymore.

What other possibilities are there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

That may be true in some cases, but there are a lot more possibilities, both physical and mental. It's normal for professionals in all sports to have good and bad periods. Some manage to regain their form, some don't.

Watching the Monaco historique race, it's some shambles of a race

Re. Ricciardo, it's possible that he has a fundamental issue with adapting to new cars. Took him a while to get used to the Renault, he never really got to grips with the McLaren, and he might have a flaw with ground effect too.

Or it could be just that he's ending his career and it doesn't mean as much subconsciously as when he was in his early 20s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Its race week. Emilia Romagna GP.

Ms

Ye I think that too. Maybe you just can't brake as late and as hard in these ground effect cars or at least Daniel can't anyway. Maybe Danieks driving style just does not work with these ground effect F1 cars like it did on the more aerodynamic wing type F1 effect cars.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭oceanman

true, and i would give some young driver a chance at getting a seat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement