Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

I agree that the threshold for protection has to be increased considerably, particularly in as far as it relates to lesser forms of protection such as Humanitarian Leave to Remain. In 2015 the McMahon report recommended extending Leave to Remain to asylum seekers with a deportation order, provided they were in Direct Provision for a period in excess of five years. In 2020 the Day Report recommended reducing that time period and extending Leave to Remain to asylum seekers with a deportation order, provided they were in Direct Provision for a period in excess of two years. In 2021, a year after the Day Report, a general amnesty was announced in the form of the Regularisation of Long-Term Undocumented Migrants Scheme. In effect, an asylum seeker with a spurious asylum claim is afforded the opportunity to manipulate the asylum system through a serious of vexatious appeals and is rewarded for this with the right to remain in the State. Denmark has limited secondary and tertiary protection considerably, as has Sweden, which extends tertiary protection to children or families with children only. Leave to Remain is granted at the discretion of the Minister for Justice, in that respect it is a form of protection entirely within the State’s control - from this point on it has to be a case of Refugee Status or a deportation order that is effected in a thorough and timely manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Glenomra

The latest opinion poll will certainly 'put the cat among the kittens'. Sinn Fein have realised, belatedly, that they were losing votes among their core support and have reactedly, racing to towards a far more stricter asylum policy. Being accused of treason etc by radicals must have been some shock to their system. They have received a consequent bounce. Now, ff and fg will be off in hot pursuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dublin49

There should be no money handed to IPA applicants,they should be fed .Sheltered and access to medical care until a decision is made on their status

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

It got better though - much, much better. Michael Fitzmaurice gently pulled out the pin and lobbed the 2021 O'Gorman Tweets grenade into the studio - the first time it had been mentioned in almost 3.5 years, as Mary and Peader (not being au fait with internetty things) sitting beside the range in the kitchen, let out a simultaneous WTF!

29:40 mins in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Interesting video in regards to the for & against the immigration pact that has just passed by the dail. Surprised by some of the names that were not in favour of passing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Here is the list of TDs in favour of passing the bill

and here are the tds NOT in favour

I’ll be keeping a screen-shot on my phone for when they come around looking for my vote in G.E.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Admit hand on heart that I switched off at the protest bit. Will listen back to the rest later. Good to hear the discussion moved on to the issue du jour.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭willyvanilla

Further to the above, just read this and try to convince yourself things are above board. Its like the cinnamon challenge but 10 times harder.

"While Kippure Manor is owned by Tondo Limited, the property has been leased to another company called Seefin Events Unlimited, which lists the estate as its address.

The directors of Seefin Events Unlimited are Carol Dwyer, 56, and Sinéad Fennelly.

Seefin Events was paid €10,444,565 by the Department of Integration to provide accommodation for asylum seekers last year – in the top 30 accommodation providers in 2023.

Ms Fennelly, 38, is listed as the ­company’s sole shareholder. ­

However, she and Ms Dwyer are directors of several other ­companies that received more than a combined €33m from State accommodation contracts last year.

These firms include Edgewell Unlimited Company, which was incorporated in Ireland 14 months ago but is entirely owned by Bergvon LP Inc, which is registered in the Isle of Man, a tax haven.

It is listed as the sole shareholder for three of Ms Fennelly and Ms Dwyer’s companies that were paid €22,721,850 by the Integration department last year.

These include Gateway Integration Unlimited Company (€16,830,000), Airways Centre Unlimited Company (€5,474,000) and Arturo Ventures Unlimited Company (€417,850), which received its first payment last November. Gateway was among the top 15 accommodation ­providers in 2023.

Last month two of the companies – Kippure Manor-based Seefin Events and Edgewell – received a loan from a financial company controlled by former Anglo Irish Bank executive Tiarnan O’Mahoney, who successfully overturned his conviction for ­conspiring to destroy or falsify bank records.

In February, it was revealed how almost half the companies earning the most from lucrative State contracts to provide accommodation for refugees and asylum seekers are fully or majority-owned by entities based abroad."

Like come on!

And that's just one article of investigation. There are more, all with a similar quagmire of who?! Where?! What's that now?!

Any sane minded individual would have to ask the question, are these mafia-like cobweb businesses receiving hundreds of millions, billions perhaps, simply accidental beneficiaries of such a hilariously out of control migration situation?

Or, considering the genuinely vast sums of money involved, are they instigators and creators?

And who exactly is issuing these cheques of tax payer money, whos on the giving side of it? And why, given the information freely available that would make Don Corleone blush?

Time will tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If you look at the few years that the migration pact was getting negotiated it showed the growing difference as the countries shifted their own views election by election through the council but the parliament remained more unchanged bar a slight shift as the mood shifted at home.

When it passed in the end there was only a few countries Ireland of course included that objected to the more stringent parts of it. Some in the EU parliament probably hoped that passing and not fighting the council on it now would be better than allowing it to be passed in a very different form under a very different parliament after the election.

With Hungary taking the council presidency, and a new parliament.

I wouldn't be surprised with the amount of continued objection even now in the council that it doesn't go far enough that after the parliamentary elections the separate parts of the pact will become more strict on immigration.

My main concern isn't on the effectiveness of the pact ( I don't think it goes far enough) or the opt out payment on housing them, it's that Ireland will be paying all this money and still getting everyone who'd have shown up anyway but not using any of the tool the pact provides.

Like buying and paying for a monitored alarm, and then not turning it on and leaving the door unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭pauly58

There was a good article in The Times this morning about the immigrant situation here, they pointed out that they are coming here via the UK, via France & probably via Italy, it's a fact that the EEC haven't got a grasp on things.

This new bill will absolutely stitch us up, based on capita & GDP figures, they're going to send stacks our way, the clip of the Barrister above clearly points that out.

This is a time where the Swiss system seems very attractive, what is it, 100k signatures on a petition & a referendum must be held.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭DaithiMa

No shanty towns/tent cities wanted on the southside of the city centre because "wraparound services and support can't be provided in locations like this".

Are these wraparound services and supports available in the many small towns hosting IPAs around Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

@willyvanilla ,very good post, what I like to see..... follow the money, puts in black and white the absolute fortunes being made in this industry…unfortunately the majority of our "journalists" prefer to browbeat us with soft articles fed to them by ngo's and at times complete disinformation and half-truth instead of doing some real journalism, get their hands dirty and do some rooting... Like during the financial crisis they are being shown up for the cowardly toe-the-line cads they are, an absolute disappointment for a supposedly educated nation of talkers and thinkers

"Ireland", cough cough, has a funny way of paying out hundreds of millions if not billions of euro to cobweb "businesses" based out of not-notorious places like the Isle of Man, the Bahamas, and other unreproachable places, with structures so simplistic it would challenge supercomputers to ascertain who's who to get housing to migrants they "can't" stop.

Its all starting to come out now, and just like a stinky fart, you'd be wondering about the people who just immediately left the room before it was smelled.

Meanwhile everyone else is pondering over the legalities and implications in a positively innocent manner, there are some obviously well connected groups making out like bandits.

And meanwhile meanwhile, many must be wondering at the lightning quick action of the government to house migrants any which way they can, while the Irish people and the existing housing crisis is treated like it doesn't exist.

Its a proper conundrum!

I wonder, if the wanton gifts of taxpayer money are allowed flow freely, will any legislation or law or vote or agreement or anything have any effect on the migration fiasco? I really really really really wonder. It's hard to be sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Where is that weasel O'Gorman ? He is nowhere to be seen now that the **** is hitting the fan, he is the face and brains behind this failed immigration situation that the country finds itself in, yet he is in hiding, if he had anything about himself he would be out facing the public, but instead he hides……….

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

You're aware that quite a few TDs are opposed to the EU Migration Pact because they consider it way too harsh on migrants? There are TDs on the No list from the likes of Labour, the Soc Dems and SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Yer man interviewed on rte 'no accommodation they give me nothing'

well go away then, and that's me putting it nicely

"Paddy the Barber". A name worth a look. Up to his eyes in cobweb businesses receiving millions for refugees.

The whole thing is an endless rabbit hole of suspicious activity. The bahamas, anyone? Former bank directors? Situations that can't be stopped, luckily for some to the tune of billions of tax payer money?

The Whole thing stinks to high heaven.

Can anyone guess what "millstreet equestrian services" does? Something to do with horses, maybe?

No. "Millstreet Equestrian Services, whose registered address is the Green Glens Arena, Millstreet, provides accommodation under the direct-provision system, in Cork, Tipperary and Waterford, with directors listed as Noel C Duggan and Thomas A Duggan. As reported in The Irish Times, the company has received at least €56 million from the State since 2000."

Don Corleone and the boys would love it. Why not have "Pineapple Importers Ltd" as a Refugee provider too? Or Shoe Repair, Inc? Why not?

"I hear we're going to Refugee Centre Island"

"I wish we were going to Candy Apple Island instead"

"Why, what have they got there?"

"Refugee centres, but they're smaller"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭ooter

The tweets got a mention on callan's kicks yesterday.

Own door accomodation within 4 months. :eek:

Has anyone got a link/screenshot of the tweets or have they disappeared?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

"The government have made it very clear that they care about the housing situation for migrants as if their lives depend on it, while irish people are barely an afterthought."

This is exactly it. It's jaw dropping really. They even by-passed the planning system for asylum seeker accommodation. Now they're going to scour the country and buy up homes off the open market for these fake refugees - directly hurting Irish people renting and buying. I just CANNOT believe what i am witnessing right now from this government and civil service. And SF when they get in, the outcome will be exactly the same as the NGO's and civil service will still be in place doing what they're doing and with SF on the left on social issues it may actually get even worse.

• Advertisement

Do you know the person to complain to about wanton profiteering off the "unstoppable" migration crisis?

How about county Councillor John O'Donnell?

You can lodge a complaint with him about the migrant silo owned by...Councillor John O'Donnell!

I, for one, can see no harm in asking people in power to please stop a situation making them filthy rich.

Might take a while to get an answer, but you never know!

https://www.donegaldaily.com/2022/09/02/planners-say-councillors-development-is-not-in-breach-of-planning/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

what march on monday havent heard much about it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

When and where do you know? Haven't seen anything about it yet. But it's probably being downplayed for obvious reasons. I'd like to know who the organisers are, don't want another Dublin riot situ happening, but I'm probably just a scaredy cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

All coumminity's of Ireland are gathering for a peaceful protest on May 6th at 2:30pm at the Garden of Remembrance to oppose unfair immigration policies in Ireland.... There will also be a a counter protest on the same day, organized by Boyd Barrett.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

thanks havent seen it advertised only a march for life protest 2pm stephen green

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭ooter

Mr. Google found this for me, amazed the tweet hasn't been buried.

Obviously the one they were talking about on callan's kicks yesterday.

Advertisement