Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Updates - 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RAKM

Ta for the info The Cush. As I said IIRC and I obv didnt.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

That may explain why I see a big difference between Mux 1 and Mux 2 in reception levels.

I was onto 2RN some time ago but they never admitted that there was a difference of encoder between the mux 1 and Mux 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Shan Doras

Any predictions on what the radio EPG will look like if RTE stick to their word and shutdown the digital radio stations? (Except gold)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

200 RTE Radio 1

201 RTE Gold

202 RTE 2fm

203 RTE Lyric FM

204 RnaG

205 New Irish language channel for 15 to 35 year olds

Radio Maria Ireland

UCB Ireland

Just my opinion, I could be wrong as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Aidan McCarthy

No. You are not wrong as hell. I would say they will keep RTE Gold and Radio maria Ireland. Thats my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,652 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Radio Maria and UCB pay to be there, neither will leave due to anything RTE do with their own stations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I could see Radio 1 moving to 201 and RTE Gold put on 205.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Always found it strange that TV channels start at 1 but radio at 200 (not 201)

I know in terms of triggering things RTE do it's fairly far down the list, but still 😁

There wil not be a new channel, where did that notion come from?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

The new DG Kevin Backwards (or whatever his name is) did announce it back in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Radio Atlantic

As a cunning ploy to Catherine Martin, RTE wrote in their 5 year plan that if only the TV licence funding issue was sorted, they might be able to launch an new digital Irish language radio station for young people. The idea of such a radio station has been talked about since Eamon O'Cuiv was the minister 20+ years ago, a time when teens did actually listen to the radio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Oh. Did he say where the funding was going to come from? This will require all original content and probably have an even smaller audience than the (cost almost nothing) digital stations they're cutting.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

While RTE Gold is to be retained, I would keep a radio channel for younger people. If they could merge RTE Pulse and RTE 2XM and just call it "RTE XM" I'm saying this as a 60 year old man.

that sounds a great idea too have RTE Radio 1 on 201 and RTE 2 FM on 202

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭brimur69

I came here looking for a reason why my HDHomerun bitrate for RTE2 had dropped from 8Mbps down to ~3Mbps. My eyes have not noticed a huge difference but I did notice more pixelation watching the rugby just now where there is a close up of grass. Also around the RTE2 logo in the top right. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,537 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Noticed that the picture was a bit soft alright, thought it was my eyes.

Bitrate monitoring has it averaging 3.2 Mbps with 7+ available . This is the mux that appears to have new encoders, squeezing more bits out of the same space

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Thinking out loud here, I wonder if the recent squeeze on bitrates on Saorview Mux 1 (with the current large amount of null PIDs), instead of preparing space for new services, is instead an ongoing test for 2RN looking at potentially reducing the transmission powers combined with a change in the transmission parameters to make them more rugged in lieu of a power reduction? Changing the current parameters from 64QAM FEC 2/3 to either 64 QAM FEC 1/2 or 16QAM FEC 3/4 would give a multiplex capacity of ~18 Mbps (which is a little more than what Mux 1 is being squeezed at right now) while dropping the required reception SNR by ~3db, allowing 2RN to cut transmitter ERP's in half but give the same effective coverage area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

That actually sounds like an intelligent cost saving measure. Far too intelligent

• Registered Users Posts: 15,537 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

For a while now I've noticed some breakup on Saorview, thought it might be my own internal wiring, haven't got around to putting a meter on it since. Signal & quality reading on the TV is 98% and 100% respectively. Over 90 km from Mullaghanish here.

One argument against changing the parameters, they have lit up some LCNs with test cards, for future channels on that spare capacity maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I was reading some articles about the future of Freeview yesterday. Ofcom have commissioned 3 options in a official report about the future status of Freeview in the UK after 2030. Those 3 options are listed in the report as follows.

1. Make Freeview a DTT T2 service which is a more energy efficient version of Freeview.
    2. Have a core basic nightlight service which consists of the main UK channels from the PSB broadcasters.
    3. Make Freeview online-only while using an internet connection at home to watch the channels on Freely devices etc...

Which one of the 3 options would you think will be palatable for us in the short to medium term?

Option 1 would make more sense to me because I think nearly every TV that provides the signal for Saorview in the Republic of Ireland is compatible with a T2 signal. That would make it a very easy switch for the vast majority of people in the country if either 2RN or Commisiun Na Mean had similar plans in place for a similar switchover plan for Saorview here in the near future. However; I don't know how many people living here in Ireland who own Saorview boxes that are not compatible with a T2 signal. My Triax TSC 114 combi-box is not compatible with a T2 signal for the Saorview channels at all. I would have to buy a new combi-box if those plans become official for anyone using Saorview here in the near future.

• Advertisement

I would say is that could happen here too if they put new channels on saorview on channels 9 10 28 31 and 32

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Antenna

Day 1 it would have been preferrable if RTE Radio 1 was on 201 and RTE Radio1-Extra was on 200 (if not some other number).

I have in the past wanted to briefly check what was on RTE Radio 1 on a TV and found myself entering 201 before remembering, no, its 200.

And is RTE Radio1-Extra definitely closing?. It hardly costs much to playout (less than RTE Gold) being mostly RTE's own material etc. and the international material it has (from BBC WS etc) is probably for free?

A significant portion of RTE Gold's listeners would remember Radio Luxemborg available on MW every night which styled itself the 'Great 2-O-8' for many years. Was that any influence on Gold being put on EPG 208 ?!

Post edited by Antenna on

I doubt Saorview will ever transfer over to being a DVB-T2 only platform unless there's two specific reasons (1) being that new UHF frequency use constraints force it to provide all services on one 7 or 8 MHz frequency block, or (2) all TV services on the platform were to be upgraded to HD without a third multiplex being powered up. There's no capacity issues for the Saorview platform ATM compared to other countries that have or are planning to convert to DVB-T2 and while most receivers in the state should be DVB-T2 compatible (IIRC all Saorview approved receivers since 2013 are required to be DVB-T2 compatible with MPEG4 video - though it's worth remembering all the non-Saorview badged equipment that was floating around over a decade ago!), it would be too much of a technical upheaval compared to running two DVB-T multiplexes in a more rugged reception mode - but at half the current ERP - giving close to the same combined bitrate payload as one DVB-T2 multiplex (if configured like PSB3 in the UK).

@The Cush I'm not sure myself what point running four testcard channels on Mux 2 are for - combined they are running at a video bitrate of 2.5 Mbps which could easily provide for 1 SD service, two at a push, but they couldn't run four separate video services with the 0.6-0.7 Mbps bitrate they're running right now for each testcard. I'm of the opinion that 2RN are running these testcards for internal technical testing in conjunction with the testing on Mux 1 with the large amount of null packets on that multiplex right now - if it's not for new services, then it might well be a transmission configuration change that I mention in my last post on this thread. If they're doing neither, then I wonder what exactly are they doing technically as it just seems a waste otherwise.

As a final observation, the reduction of available bitrate for RTÉ 1 (Mux 2) on Saturday night during the ESC was very noticeable IMO with strobe effects etc.

Coincidently, BBC Radio 1 on Freeview is on channel 700 with BBC Radio 1 Xtra on 701, followed by Radio 2 on 702 etc.

Also on the Sky EPG the first channel in a genre group will start on xx0 unless it is x00 where it starts instead on x01 i.e. MTV Music is the first channel in the Music section on 350, QVC the first for Shopping on 660 while Sky Sports Main Event is the start for sports on 401 & Sky News its starter (guess the category!) on 501.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The bitrate for the ESC Grand Final on Saturday was down to SVT providing lower than expected technical broadcasting requirements for the 2 semi-finals & the Grand Final. SVT were only providing HD broadcasts at 1080p 25fps as opposed to 1080P 50fps.

There is an article here about the broadcast requirements for the ESC held in Malmo.

I didn't watch the final on RTÉ One on Saturday. I watched it on BBC One instead.

It had a better quality picture as opposed to RTÉ.

Talking about the order of the radio channels, it would make a lot of sense to bring them up the MPG.

Radio1 101

RTE 2fm 102

R Lyric FM 103

RnaG 104

RTE Gold 105

Radio Maria?

UCB Ireland?

I can't imagine they will be more than a hundred TV channels on Saorview.

That's the way it should be done with rte radio channels on saorview

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Have The Report on RTÉ1 here on Saorview - either its my eyes or they downloaded a 700mb version torrent. I don't have any of my old kit that could check the bitrate, but is it possible the bitrate has been dropped on RTÉ1 too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭Glaceon

It has. I initially didn't notice it but the Eurovision was a dead giveaway with all of the panning and lighting effects.

• Advertisement

Im sure they could put RTE One and Two on full High Definition (1920×1080i) that would make massive difference especially on bigger screens. 1440×1080i for others and of course 720×544i as a minimum for non importance I guess. Make use of all the capacity instead of test cards and what not.

Advertisement