Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I disagree. Ringrose is two levels up. People have short memories. If he's fit, he plays. No question.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Just seen a few clips of the game. Have to laugh at the TNT commentary.

Dallaglio and Healey were screaming for a Leinster side entry at the ruck, but the footage shows two Northampton players piling in at the side before Jenkins entry which I'm pretty sure was legal anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,233 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I see an article saying Deegan is going to Ulster.

Is it true or clickbait guff?

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/leinster-no-8-max-deegan-to-switch-provinces/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,233 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Would anyone argue for Osborne to start ahead of Ringrose for ireland?

I like Osborne, but the idea that he should start ahead of Ringrose is based on fairness of play time rather than contribution to the game. Ringrose is the better player and should start when he's fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I think the debate is between Henshaw and Ringrose. I feel Osborne is a better 12 than Henshaw, although obviously still massively inexperienced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭johnh6767

that’s rubbish he was player of the match against LaRoch so let’s not be so fickle given he has so tirelessly added to our European credentials

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

That was stressful. Leinster wilted in the second half but contained Furbank a lot better than Ireland or Scotland did in the 6N. I wondered whether the Leinster defence got away with a few offsides. Was Doris over the try line before Lowe’s second try? He looked close. What a player JGP has become. He always seems to have time to burn on the ball. It is fitting that the two leading scrum halves in our part of the world might meet in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ersatz

Osborne did nothing wrong but I fail to see how anyone thinks he should start ahead of either Henshaw or Ringrose. Henshaw is a bigger man and often gets across the gain line when being hit by two tacklers, Osborne is much slighter. He has a great left foot but Leinster have that already. His real point of difference for me is his line running, which is excellent, and his off loads which are also very good. He’s definitely next off the rank but I’d still back Henshaw at 12 and GR at 13.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Mad to think a few weeks back Leinster and Sharks were top and bottom of the league but Sharks are .ore lively to win a trophy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I'd say people have long memories when it comes to Ringrose. He's an excellent player, particularly in defence, but hasn't been a game changer for a while now. He rarely makes mistakes but doesn't do anything amazing either. He seems to be the latest in the line of players in Ireland who seem to get elevated to undropable status yet I doubt other top teams would want him over their existing options or spend time looking to negate him ahead of playing against him.

Osborne has shown he can put others through gaps with passing on the line, runs excellent lines to find gaps himself and he looks to offload out of the tackle. Henshaw's power is a big asset, he challenges in the air unlike most centres and he and Osborne swapping positions adds variation in attack. As a partnership, they compliment each other and seem to bring the best out of each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭conquestscarer

I agree. Watching him the last two seasons I've seen a lot of flaws in his game that just get excused. He makes plenty of mistakes on D.

I don't think Osborne is the one to drop for London.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭conquestscarer

We just got to the final, hardly a guarantee we aren't winning a trophy this year ffs.

That’s a nonsense comparison.

They’re more likely to win a Mickey Mouse trophy. You think Sharks think they’re in a better position or wouldn’t swap with Leinster in a heartbeat?

Got extremely sloppy and loose in the second half. We had completely stifled them in the first and they were getting frustrated, and then in the second we kicked a lot of aimless deep kicks to just hand them possession and a chance to run back.

As others have mentioned, the subs, particularly taking off JVDF (who was brilliant) were too early and changed Leinster’s shape too much.

Feel like if Leinster scored the third before half time or had gotten a fourth on the board, they’d have kicked on and won by 30+ but made it needlessly tight at the end.

Still - semis are for winning. On to the final.

Should have mentioned - atmosphere in Croker was immense and really enjoyable experience. Crowd were passionate and loud throughout.

Great to see so many stay in the stadium to applaud both teams off the field too.

Final word for the Northampton fans who were all absolutely top class yesterday - have always had a soft spot for them as a club because they play great rugby and found their fans to be classy following what must have been devastating circumstances losing the final in 2011, and they 100% demonstrated that again yesterday.

If they keep their young core together and can add a few more pieces they’ll be a dangerous proposition in a year or so, they’ve got some really talented players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The amount of kicking in the second half was infuriating. When your opponents only really attacking advantage is running from deep, why would you just keep punting it to them,?

Agree with above comment re hooking VDF early, seemed like a preplanned switch but ultimately it hurt us.

Conversely, Ross Byrne was left on too long. He wasn’t playing well and looked to be carrying an injury.

Hopefully that’s the dirty diesel burnt off and we can focus on the final now.

On the plus side, JGP is absolutely unplayable these days, Frawley is doing an excellent job at FB and Baird continues to get better and better.

Five finals in seven years, it’s an incredible stat.

But if we could get one of the injured trio back for the final, I’d pick Ryan every time. We need more leadership and grizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Final word for the Northampton fans who were all absolutely top class yesterday

No, they were garbage. Yet in typical Leinster/Ireland fashion, Leinster nearly imploded against them and laboured to victory in what should have been a 40 point win.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Sharks are in the Challenge Cup final

I’m not sure he was being entirely serious

Maybe have another read of the post you quoted and try again.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You're such a grinch trying to be completely miserable you can't even read properly these days.

Just give it up, it's a boring cliche at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Was sat beside 3 munster lads cheering on NH, that's quite an impressive level of spite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Agree on the Northampton fans, they were top class in Cardiff in what were very difficult circumstances for them and they were top class again yesterday.

Very hard call on who I’d most like to get back - I still think I’d lean towards Keenan but it’s tight between him and Ryan.

Just feel both our attack and our defence are a different proposition with Keenan there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I think Keenan is the better of the three players but Ryan would be the biggest improvement to the team as it is

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Really glad to hear this, think it’s 100% the right approach.

You obviously run a higher risk of injury but think there’s more to be gained by getting the team more battle hardened and more match fit.
    We have a lot of quality depth too, and this is where it’s so valuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Is Ryan gone for the season? Will really need him for the final

• Registered Users Posts: 12,626 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

JGP gets a lot of plaudits but he was commander in chief of Leinster deciding to not play rugby for 25 minutes. Repeatedly box kicking from 1st phase, nearly cost us.

Haven't watched it back but in the stadium it seemed quite a low quality rugby match

Also the ref allowing a penalty to be taken whilst Frawley was in bits was outrageous, and they scored off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Also the ref allowing a penalty to be taken whilst Frawley was in bits was outrageous, and they scored off it.

Shocking decision. Frawley had clearly taken a heavy hit and wasn't intentionally slowing the game down. That sort of refereeing will encourage deliberate time wasting.

Refereeing decisions seemed a real mixed bag yesterday with both teams suffering very poor calls.

• Advertisement

He allowed a Lawes turnover around the 72nd min too when Lawes couldn’t have possibly been any more in the side. It was obvious and blatant and he called play on.

Advertisement