Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

If they claim asylum and are unsuccessful some will be deported.

It's a difficult and expensive process, which Ireland, even with McDowall as Justice minister have never had much success with.

From the figures I shared a few days back, McDowall only managed to effect about 20% of deportation orders, and mostly to countries such as Romania, then on the verge of joining the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Fotish

No wonder half the residents of Delhi ( population 33 million ) are packing their suit cases and heading west to the Garden of Eden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Of course we know now that McDowell simply got in early on the plans to enrich the hotel owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭willyvanilla

Again, elusiveness and avoidance is not doing you any favours.

Neither is the purposeful obfuscation.

You know precisely, absolutely precisely, what is being asked, and you absolutely know the answer too.

Don't bother to respond with pretend confusion, don't bother interacting with me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭willyvanilla

One cannot possibly hope to enact change on a billion euro industry without drastical change, least of all can it be expected from a group of connected people receiving those giant incentives.

As I said before, if there was money in storing crates of whale blubber, the government wouldn't be able to do anything to stop whale blubber entering the country all of a sudden, they wouldn't be able to not spend billions of tax payer money on it, and there'd be plenty of hands out until the country was practically submerged in fat.

Such is the honesty at play.

I have no interest in hearing about the great difficulties of preventing whale blubber in legislation. Sorry, I mean people trafficking-lite. Double sorry, I mean the refugee industry.

Triple sorry, I mean the humanitarian crisis, yes, the humanitarian crisis, that's the one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

And your big words are doing you no favours.

You claimed we have open borders, I asked you where.

You then said we have an open border with northern Ireland. True.

I asked if you didn't want an open border with the North, which you ignored. You then tried to change the subject, with long words and posts that mean nothing.

So, again, you claim we have open borders with Northern Ireland, which, We do. Do you have an issue with the Good Friday Agreement?

You also claim that people can get off a plane, and claim asylum. Which they can. Do you have an issue with our law in this country? The law which gives affect to the Geneva Convention?

What are you proposing?

Post edited by suvigirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

I get that it is difficult to deport people but it seems apparent in Ireland that the authorities don't detain any migrant who has been unsuccessful and makes the most feeble attempt to make them leave.

Not only that, we gave amnesty to undocumented migrants even after they were told to leave:

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/social-affairs/2023/08/10/four-in-five-undocumented-people-who-applied-to-regularise-their-status-in-ireland-were-successful/

When you compare that to the undocumented Irish in America, our politicians & diplomats have lobbied US representatives for decades now and made little to no progress with it even though we have never been at war in more than a century, don't really have any culture of extremism and are relatively peaceful nation!

Lets not forget that Asylum Seeking has never been a normal immigration process and to me handing out amnesty to those who are unsuccessful completely undermines the process for genuine applicants.

The article above cites quotes from McEntee and the DOJ saying it's a once off but frankly I haven't an ounce of trust in McEntee at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

He has you in a corner here suvigirl. Just give up with the deflection already. We have open borders here via the asylum mess where literally anyone can ride us for years on a failed application. Basically no deportations. They just have to hang in there til the next wave of citizenships are handed out for another government photo opp.

I know it, Nigeria knows it, UK knows it, you know it but you'll never have the decency to admit it

Deflect. Deflect and deflect again

There is no corner. We don't have open borders, unless you count the CTA and the EU. Which are totally open.

The asylum process isn't open borders.

So anyone with issues about open borders, obvs has issues with the UK and EU citizens here, because they are the ones availing of open borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

Just to add to this, you'd imagine the softly softly approach taken by this government has to be even more frustrating for migrants who have worked their holes off most of their lives to get themselves in a position of getting a skilled visa approved to live & work here?!

Especially when they inevitably start to get racially abused by xenophobes as a result in the rise in tensions.

A lot of this is about integration and the ability to integrate and the scale in terms of numbers. I work in I.T and have and do work with some fantastic people from various nationalities. Logically these people based on the efforts they have already put in to get skilled migration visas are much further along the track to integrate and much less burdensome to the state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭aziz

Would you ever knock that crap off

If a child kept responding with that,I would have to ask questions

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Sunday Times saying that 600 asylum seekers arrived in the country in the last 7 days - up from 500 the previous week.

Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭whatever.

80% would be conservative I would think

90% objection here from The Tonight Show poll in January '23

feeds.acast.com/public/shows/1b7989bb-75d3-43d4-88ab-da99ebc38133

Tis the podcast, poll result is at about 39 minutes. I remember watching it, the host squirmed when reading out the result and then tried to discredit her own audience

newstalk.com/news/three-in-four-believe-ireland-is-taking-too-many-refugees-1469597

Conducted by RecC

Just wait until people realise each asylum seeker will have a net cost 1 Million if they stay, that puts the current bill at 20 Billion or 10 children's hospitals

oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2024-05-01/47/

I expect it's 10k in welfare plus 10k in accommodation plus 10k in healthcare, education, other social services x 60 years. Christ that'd be 2 million each yikes, they must offset the labour participation rate part to be revenue neutral, so a 50% rate would give a net 1 million

Christ we'll go broke

Bill Clinton that idolized president of the left brought in rules to bar Cubans from being processed onshore in the US when their asylum seeker rates increased in the 90's

They either had to go back to Cuba or to a third country to be processed

It will be what we do sooner or later, it's inevitable. I expect we'll take it up the ass from all the Nigel's fron Nigeria till Europe (Germany) gets pissed off and implements some sort of resettlement program in Botswana or such

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Who are these men exactly ?

We don't know. Haven't you been hearing the news about how they are undocumented. Lot of young healthy guys. Also we know some have been denied in several EU countries and are rapists. The system allows anonymity and deceit. Even rewards it. We don't know.

Salubrious

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/salubrious

(səlubriəs IPA Pronunciation Guide)

1. ADJECTIVE

A place that is salubrious is pleasant and healthy.

City West hotel

Racket hall hotel

The tents are clean and heated. You have your meals, health care, bedding, security, wifi, etc etc provided for. They are in nice locations. They are pleasant and healthy. You don't have to do anything. Ireland is your servant.

So, all in all you get a sweet deal here.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

Cant believe anyone thinks living in a hotel or tent is salubrious. Have to wonder what all those homeless people here are complaining about wouldn't ya? Sure aren't they living for years in salubrious hotels!

Any idea who is living here from the EU or the UK? A lot of unvetted men is my guess.…

II don't know how to do this but I don't endorse the concept.

Open debate is important even if the corresponding side is being disingenuous

If you just debate in good faith eventually their disingenuousness will discredit themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

We have a common travel area with the EU and the UK so I don't know what argument you are making here regarding unvetted people. There has to be regulation. Is complete open borders your answer ? The problem is and even middle of the road people like Ivan Yeats and Matt cooper are questioning what the **** is our immigration policy. The answer is we don't have one, the government have lost the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Why were homeless people in doorways never given tents? Or were they? Just curious.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

have to say, when I saw a clip of the recent podcast, I was amazed to see Coopers position. The last word had become an unbearable listen over recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Will0483

Where does it end though? 100,000 or 1000,000. The number of people living in the 3rd world who would like to move to Europe is probably in the billions.

If even a fraction of that number arrived, our entire welfare state would collapse and our economy would completely collapse.

Why can't you understand the simple point that people seeking asylum gain from this situation but Irish people lose out completely.

Irish people's children live at home until their 40's and young couples scrimp and save for years to afford a deposit yet we are supposed to find bilions to house random people who arrive here. Why do you act surprised that the majority are against this? The situation is absolute madness and won't continue for much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

No kids, no worries, no bills, meals provided, living in a hotel, young, free, single. That sounds more than salubrious. I need to find a definition for that because I already gave you the definition for salubrious..

EU/UK residents are fully tracked from birth.

Also your argument is this "the problem is X, multiplying the problem by N does not increase the problem." Huh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

AS tents now pitched along the grand canal since mount street encampment was cleared a few days ago and the number will likely rise again in the next few days. https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/social-affairs/2024/05/04/asylum-seekers-sleeping-in-tents-by-grand-canal-say-they-have-nowhere-else-to-go/

If AS need to present to the IPO to apply, maybe there should be several IP offices eg, at citywest, crooksling, trudder. Otherwise people will continue to pitch tents in the general area around mount street with no access to basic sanitary facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Jizique

On What it Says in the Papers after the 8am RTE News, the guy said that a poll in the Indo of over 1,300 people showed support for a "Rwanda-type arrangement" (didn't give number bur obv >50%) but it was dropped from the 9am version of WISITP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

It shows how the middle group is moving tbh. Cooper knows how to read the room he runs with the hair etc. I wonder if yeats, cooper,McDowell,McNamara will be all labelled right wing etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Floppybits

They were by some of the homeless charities. I remember walking down Henry Street early one morning and there were tents all along the street. They are then moved on as the city centre opens up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Both IPA offices in Mount Street and Citywest are only open Monday to Friday. Wonder what happens to anyone who’s arrived since Friday evening considering it’s a bank holiday weekend. Is there someone standing outside directing them to where they get tents?

Not directing questions at you personally, just thinking out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Water2626262

One thing I’m not clear on is what happens when the asylum application fails and they are told to leave. Do they still receive free accommodation and food? If this is the case then surely they are tracked. Also it would mean that these people are creating the tent situation by overstaying here.

One thing that covid showed us is that anything can be done very quickly when there is a will. Why aren’t they doing the same to get on top of these applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

The CTA only applies to UK and Irish citizens afaik it is not for other nationalities including other EU citizens. That free movement changed since brexit.

I don't know any irish person who has a problem showing a passport when entering the state from the uk through airports or ferry ports, or vice-versa. I wouldn't have a problem showing a passport at NI border.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

We just need to build more houses. All these males who hate living for free off the Irish taxpayer are doctors engineers and construction works. Dying to get out there and build those 250k houses so they can have a front door of their own like Roderick promised. You wait and see… Been the second richest country on paper we’ll eventually get there.

Advertisement