Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Not sure our lads do the same blatant pulling and dragging in the full back line

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

No but the forwards do plenty of it 😅

• Yera they haven't the time, too busy scoring 😉

clare 2-12 tipperary 0-10 daryl darcy cup final u17

excellent win for the minors against tipperary side that had beaten them comfortably only a few weeks ago , conor burke looks like he is a real talent in the making 1-8 of the 2-12 tonight he racked up

clare will play cork next week in the munster semi final

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Gael85

According to commentator it kerry next week? A good win tonight.

• Advertisement

ok ,on the munster gaa website it says cork must be a mistake

derrick must have got his wires crossed

ironically it would suit kerry to lose the munster final to gain better competition in the group stage , its likely if they win they will play louth, meath and monaghan

its a very big ask for our lads sunday the winners of munster group would be great ,

i agree the provencials should be where the mcgrath cup is now and the top 16 decided by national league placings ,down were excellent against armagh last week they look too strong for the tailteann cup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Gael85

Looks to be Cork. The commentator on clubber was interviewing Dermot Coughlan after and seem to think it would be kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭KIB4Life

In fairness to Francie he was part of the only Armagh team to ever win an All Ireland, but for a brilliant Tyrone team and Kerry team in the 2000’s Armagh might have won at least another All Ireland or two. Think Bellew also has about 5 club All Irelands.

Sure whether it be hurling or football you don’t need 15 oustanding ball players but you do need lads with strength and good reading of the game which I think Cleary has.

Some of the great defenders didn’t need to resort to pulling and dragging. Remember Brian Corcoran great dual player for Cork who said when he was a defender he never had interest in the pulling or dragging of players his made interest was try and get out to the ball ahead of his man, instead of pulling him.

Seamus Moynihan of Kerry also had something similar. Think Cleary’s biggest problem is that he is slow to turn but he can actually make up the ground if someone gets inside him, he is slow over the first few yards.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

Yeah he is clearly there on a statistical basis, scores conceded off his man per game,scoreable frees conceded ect .. jack browne was playing serious stuff for ballyea a few years ago and Lohan dropped him from the panel, for the opposite reason I can only imagine

he won't be there for any more the two more years given the amount of talent coming through in Leyden, coneeley , gunning if he moves back from his current position on the 20s , I imagine Conor leen will be more of a half back line option

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Minor Football SF in Quilty next Tuesday.

https://munster.gaa.ie/fixtures/minor/

Clare 4-11 0-19 Tipperary

Fantastic win in thurles tonight for the minors Conor Ralph opened the Clare account with a goal after 8 minutes, o Callaghans mills man Liam Murphy followed up with a Hattrick, Mathew Corbett notched up 0-5 1 from play harry Doherty with 0-3 Patrick finneran got 0-2 crucial scores either side of half time as Tipperary started to cut the gap, a super score from James Cullinan from midfield late in the game rounded up Clare's scores

Doherty, Mathew Corbett, Darragh Kennedy all look like real serious prospects for the future, great win in mark O'Briens absence too

clare 2-27 waterford 1-11

this game was far more competitive then the scoreline would suggest , with 15 minutes to go it was 1-14 to 0-11

in fairness this is a really good young team in the making , james organ and sean rynne done serious damage , michael collins scored a cracker of a goal before half time while conor whelan looks like a very impressive hurler in the making let alone his free taking but his workrate also

finally Terrance has moved the gunner back to his best position in the half back line , his club mate niall o' farrell looks like hes living up to the expectation once he steadies himself in front of goal jack o'niell and jamey moylan and james heagerty all got on the score sheet today , along with ronan Kilroy and even mixtad these will be regulars of the next generation of clare hurling in the next 2 to 3 years throw in john coneeley , and conor leen on the clare senior panel the depth could be huge

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭supernova5

was a shaky first 15 minutes from Clare, yes score line is somewhat misleading, there are some good solid hurlers on that team but the secret is to maintain that promise and keep learning from each game

Clare 1-13 Kerry 0-23

Kerry are always going to hit the 20 point mark in munster you need to be taking every chance to stay with them ,unfortunately we will rue two great chances by cousins dermot coughlin and brian mcnamara either side of half time

it was a performance that would have beaten about 20 other teams in the country but just that bit short against a seasoned team like kerry , both tony brosnan and david clifford kicked some excellent scores from play and under serious pressure at times highlighting the difference in class

ikem took his goal really well and out scored his initial man he was marking in paudi clifford , it was an honest display and if repeated will hopefully get us one or two wins in the group stage and make a real push for the latter stages of the championship

i praised the appointment of mark fitz last year , today you can see why , he has done a super job in transition and has clare playing a descent brand of football , we asked plenty of questions of the kerry backs and midfielders today which is all you can do , hopefully we can repeat the same performance saturday week against cork , if we do and improve on the finishing we wont be far away

clare scorers

Emmet McMahon 0-5 4f

Ikum Ugwueru 1-0

Ciaran Downes 0-2 2f

Aaron Griffin 0-2

Daniel Walsh, 0-1

Dermot Coughlan, 0-1

Gavin Murray, 0-1

Mark McInerney 0-1 1f

Yeah I thought in fairness as well to Fitzgerald he got his match-ups fairly right Manus Doherty done a decent enough job of marking Clifford and Ikem on Paidi Clifford done really well too. You are going to struggle to hold quality players like the Clifford’s fully quite, but both Eire Og lads done well in my opinion.

Dermot Coughlan was excellent in the first half, took the game to Kerry, he’s playing some brilliant stuff this year for Clare after some difficult injuries and some inconsistent form, but he seems back to his best.

Aaron Griffin looked lively and seemed to have the beating of his man anytime he got the ball. Brian Mac’s goal chance was a great chance alright probably could have slipped it to Griffin, but I suppose it’s easy talk.

Great for Ikem to get the goal a real crowd favourite and great athlete, who’s football ability has come on leaps and bounds in the last year or 2.

Look a lot of positives from Clare today, but this performance is no good if they don’t back it up against Cork. Watched Cork against Kerry and personally feel that they look better than they were last year, so it’s going to be a tough battle but hopefully home advantage might swing it in Clare’s direction after last year.

yeah bang on i have watched closely how Fitzgerald controls the line , i usually stand along the sideline in the park and the same where i can up the country in the away games , he is an excellent communicator to the players and always positive although he nearly killed dermot for a wasteful free in the first half before he kicked a brilliant score

the Offaly game sticks in my mind more then any this year , we played some brutal stuff were 0-10 to 0-4 down with about 12 minutes left , offaly got a goal , not only was he driving on the players to get back into it he was full of encouragement to the lads coming on that they could still make a difference and that's exactly what happened every single player despite playing rubbish bought in to him ad drove on for the last ten minutes and pulled of a remarkable comeback , today every single player bought into his game plan and fought to the end regardless of how good the opposition was

its very very encouraging going forward , dermot was excellent i actually think manus had a fine game on clifford , ikem was fantastic on paudi constantly in his face and telling him "not to day paudi not today" tookj is goal brilliantly when others would have stayed down looking for a penalty , aaron griffin was good too but the ball in was poor at times , emmett , brian mac and darragh bohannan did well also , if we can get rid of the silly errors we made today we can be a match for any team in our group in the sam McGuire

i think it was shakey for a lot more then 15 minutes , the waterford boys on the sideline were like cattle roaring at a mart i actually felt sorry for terrance to have to put up with it 😂 but waterford were probably better then the scoreline and probably in most of their games

i reckon gunning has more potential then adam hogan , i have high hopes for a few clooney lads i know coneeley is over age but maxted is not far behind him , ronan kilroy and sean rynne have huge potential and tony layden looked brilliant for tulla last year in his first year of senior , i might be getting ahead of myself but i think this team can give us more then just a few solid hurlers

i think niall o'farrell and michael collins will be senior players too but they will need to bulk a bit

Yeah that’s the positivity you need from a coach/manager. Belief and self belief is huge in sport and anything you do really. If you believe you are good enough then you will perform better. As most inter county teams are well conditioning nowadays and most players are in great shape.

So belief and skill are probably the two main aspects that will decide games. Who makes the less efforts, who creates the most chances and is willing to take the most risks to be able to get the ball forward as fast as possible.

Be interesting even playing Tyrone it will be our first time playing them in championship and can’t ever remember playing them in the league but I presume we might have played them in the league in the 90’s considering we were playing Division 1 football then, and Tyrone had a good team around that time as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Patchin

IS keelan sexton coming back

The talk is that he will be back for the club championship. He was around 2 weeks ago, for his grandmother’s funeral. He came on in the Cusack Cup game against Miltown and played really well, looked in great shape and was moving well.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Treble double

Thought we would be wiped out. This manager and coach know their onions. Defensive set up and matchups worked. Manus and Ikem did a number on the Clifford's. Coughlan and Griffin outstanding, which I didn't see coming, I felt Coughlan played too laterally in the past, long may this direct running game continue. Am I the only one that felt when we were forced long from kickouts that we were wiped out and it was a source of scores for Kerry. I see some people saying we edged midfield, I'll have to watch it again but I felt Bohannon and McNamara were below par. I would prefer to have Tyrone at home, I think alot of the northern teams are way over rated and if you got them in your own patch and a crowd behind you they could be turned over. They are very hard to beat in their own patch. Cork are a decent outfit now and are improving year to year, I can't see us beating them 2 years in a row and would have them favourites in Ennis. Will one of the games be at a neutral venue, I think we could definitely give it to Tyrone as long as its not in Omagh.

Tyrone game is the second game in the group in Omagh, the last game is neutral against the Ulster winners so either Donegal or Armagh. In terms of midfield and kick outs yeah I think Kerry edged they seemed to win more breaking ball. But I would agree with Clare going long as Kerry were pressing up which meant that the short kick out wasn’t on long a lot of the time.

Yeah some Ulster teams are overrated but in fairness like Clare, Tyrone have a huge turnover of players particularly since their all Ireland win. Still think Derry are the best team in Ulster and but for the Odhran Lynch’s meltdown they would be in the Ulster final, would much prefer to play Donegal or Armagh than Derry.

Agree

Tyrone in Ennis, Cork away and Ulster champions neutral would have been ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Remember that 3 teams go through.

Clare obviously aren't going to win Sam, but get one win (maybe v Cork at home) and they could progress to the knockout games.

To be competitive in all 3 group games plus get an extra game would be a good outcome.

That's the realistic angle here , in our two games against Derry and Monaghan last year we played much better than we did in our home game to Donegal, if we attack cork and play in the same fashion as last week we would have a serious chance of getting a result ,

It's a good learning curve for a young panel and one that will stand to them next year in division 3 and hopefully put us back up into division 2 again where we can build again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

The minor hurlers playing tonight down in Pairc Ui Chaoimh

Am I right in thinking it’s a de facto Munster semifinal and knockout ?

If we win we’re back in the final.

If we lose we’re out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,605 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Out of Munster but top 4 go into All-Ireland Series anyway

Advertisement