Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fed up with 48 (not) roaming

Options
  • 05-05-2024 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭

I have 48 for my son's mobile. Fed up with it not roaming without having to mess around with settings.

If I switch to An Post, Virgin or one of the other MVNOs am I going to have similar issues, or is it unique to 48?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭mulbot

Not sure about others but it takes literally 10 seconds to change the settings. Very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

I can never seem to get it to work properly! Or I get calls, but no data.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭muloc

Not on 48 myself so have no issue but have 2 in the family who are (1 apple and 1 android) and they do be trying to get it working for a good while after we land depending on the country.

....and this is following 48's guide😒

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Anyone know what the story is with 48 and roaming on visit to Isle of Man? Is it extra charges because not in EU/UK?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My son is also on 48, and I have yet been able to get his mobile data to work in NI.

Tried various settings.

If anyone would know how we could fix it, I'd be very grateful.

Its Android

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Nah. Can take ages to get the roaming working for telephony services even using their toolkit 'hack' (which one of their customers developed, not them). Can also be similar on return to Ireland.

Been abroad twice last few weeks and spent time incommunicado trying to get 48 SIM working.

.....and this is before you even get to data services, which I don't need to worry about as I have a second SIM on Three in the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Make sure you ask them for a new SIM (free). The new SIMs solve a lot of the problems. But you still may need to fiddle a bit with settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭mosstin

Had this problem initially but it's easily fixed.

Go to 48 Sim menu app

Select 'When Abroad'

Click 'Network Selection'

Select 'Manual'

Select 'International Roaming Profile'

Give it a few seconds and you should be good to go. Works for me every single time and I use it a lot.

• Advertisement

Even after doing what Mostins post explains?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭muffinhead

Thanks all!

Back to my original question. Is the requirement to change settings when roaming unique to 48?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

There is no need to change settings on Eir, Gomo or Vodafone. It seems to be a peculiarity on some of the MVNOs that use the Three network.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭gipi

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/122099579#Comment_122099579

I do this every time I roam (NI or GB mostly). It never works, I have to set the APN as another poster showed. The international apn defaults to proximus every time.

And I got a replacement SIM....nothing changed!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 PH0NER

Went to Italy last month and had no problems roaming with 48. Used the SIM in an iPad too, worked great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Yes is the simple answer. I've had vodafone, postmobile, gomo, tesco, eir and they all worked straight away when I landed in another country. 48, I couldn't get to work even with the messing around with settings (having said that, it was the test 1Gb sim and i didn't waste anymore time that going through the steps mentioned above).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭beachhead

I have no idea what's going with posters here.I use 48 roaming without any problems and have been for more than a year with their so called new sim.My phone connects automatically to the roaming network and resets itself on return here.No fiddling with setting anymore.Xiaomi,Nokia,Samsung phones.I won't list the countries I've been in,excpt for the UK and its been Vodafone or EE lately.

Thanks all. Am going with Post Mobile.

Fiddling around with the settings may be straightforward for some, but it seems like unnecessary faff. I just want the phone to do all that automatically!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The only caveat I'd say with PM is data.

In Ireland, it was far slower than VF. I was with then2020-2023 and it got worse over my time with them. Roaming, you are always stuck with Vodafone as roaming partner and I found roaming speeds rubbish. Grand for surfing the net but forget about a quick YouTube video.

Advertisement