Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2024 (Mod note #869)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭Hamachi

That’s a good squad for world relays. I wonder how they’ll manage it? Go all in on the women’s 4x400m with Adeleke, Mawdsley, Healy and Becker or distribute more evenly and try to make the final of both the mixed and the women’s 4x400m on day 1?

Don’t know much about Lauren Cadden, but she seems like a prospect. Only started running the 400m this year and is already down to 53.3x, breaking Karen Shinkins 400m inter varsity record set in 1999. She reckons she can get into the 52s pretty soon. Could really augment the relay squad this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Parker Valby is some talent. New 10,000m NCAA record the other night. And manages to make it all look so effortless in all the clips I've seen of her.

She certainly is and all that off just 25-35 miles weekly. Apparently, most of her success is due to cross-training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Jeez so I can't be blaming my lower mileage at all 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

Elizabeth Ndudi set a new senior NR in the long jump yesterday in Illinois, 6.68m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭secman

Just heard today that Athletics Ireland lost a great ambassador and servant , a man who gave 50+ years to Tallaght Athletic Club and coached hundreds of kids and adults alike over the years.

RIP The legend that was Johnny Fox 😢

He was also the founder of the great fund raiser for Pieta House that has become a world wide event ..the Darkness into Light walks.

A true gentleman 👏

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Meant to post this much sooner, but the 2024 Diamond League season starts later today in Xiamen. Coverage begins at 12 on Virgin Media 2.

Entry lists

https://xiamen.diamondleague.com/program-results/program-2024/#baseFrame%23__athSchedule%23ScheduleInit%23Xiamen_2024_CURRENTEVENT_JSON

3:50.30 for Gudaf Tsegay! Not far off the world record, third fastest of all time!! How the hell does she decide what to run in Paris.

Commentary on Virgin Media was weird though, not once did they mention the possibility of the world record going down or barely any reference to how fast the run we were witnessing was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Yeah, watching that and I thought, hang on a minute, this is super quick. Just doing a bit of Maths with 200 to go, but nothing from the commentators, as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Mondo did alright too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Am I missing something, or did Virgin completely miss the women's 200m because they were on an ad break?

You didn't, they missed the entire thing. Also returned from an ad break after the men's 800m had already started, and I wouldn't be surprised if they take one in the closing stages of the men's 5k. It's great they've made a commitment to athletics, but they also need to commit to covering the sport properly. They don't take breaks for their football coverage, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I'm sure they’ll learn where to insert the breaks. They currently have very little experience of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Very frustrating. Better to pause the coverage, than completely miss the action. Will use VPN and watch from the BBC website the next time.

Adeleke won the Texas invitational 100m, against Alfred, Asher-Smith and others, in wait for it, 10.84.

Sorry lads, wind +3.5🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

Regardless of the time and wind reading that's a quality field she beat

That’s fantastic. Better still, she’s running world relays next weekend too. With Adeleke running and Mawdsley and Healy firing on all cylinders, they could lower the national record by 2 or 3 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It has been estimated this evening that she would have won in 10.89 without that breeze behind her : that is blisteringly fast for an Irish athlete.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Jakob’s father charged with abuse against his children. He Sounds like a right nasty bastid.

Nick Griggs opened his outdoor season yesterday in Spain. A solid 3.37 opener, placing him sixth in a high quality field.

My sense is that he will make the European championships, but the Olympics will likely remain out of range for him at this early stage of his senior career.

• Advertisement

Mixed relay team straight to OG, winning their heat. 🥰

Fantastic run by the team, nobody ran a weak leg and they broke the NR too.

Mawdsley is a class act…..ran a superb last 400m and didn't even look like she would be caught.

Women's 4x400m qualify for Paris as well…..win their heat and another NR.

Women's 4x400m win their heat, qualify for the final, qualify for the Olympics and set a new National Record in the process. Adeleke and Mawdsley were running for the second time tonight as well, wow!

Not sure what to say. Absolutely insane performances by the Irish teams. How cool to see Irish relay squads defeat world class opposition and the women’s 4x400m squad qualify fastest on the night.

Adeleke and Mawdsley were just phenomenal. Phil Healy also ran a very fast split. Tom Barr was excellent in the mixed. One of the most exciting nights for Irish athletics.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Absolutely brilliant result for both teams! Looking at tonight's timetable there is only 30mins between finals (2:40am and 3:10am Irish time), I wonder will they swap out Adeleke and Mawdsley for one of the races and target a medal in the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

The problem is that you can only substitute one athlete in the mixed. Either one of Adeleke or Mawdsley will have to run regardless. Given that constraint, they may as well go all in on the mixed. I’d probably substitute Jack Raftery in on the opening leg.

It’s a shame because we probably have a higher medal probability in the women’s. Roisin Harrison is a solid enough relay runner and it’s a chance to blood Lauren Cadden to see how she does. Those two, plus Becker and Healy can only realistically target fifth or sixth, enough to secure us a decent lane in Paris.

Third place for the mixed 4 x 400m team. New NR and Adeleke ran 48.45 for her leg (!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Great run by Mawdsley on the anchor leg,pushed Bol all the way to the line, 50:12 for her split

Advertisement