Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Michael McNamara: How did sex offender seeking asylum fly under the radar?

SUV: But we haven't got open borders!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭combat14

if they had kept the 4000 a year deportations up there would be almost 45,000 less people in the country since 2012.. maybe even more than that as word would spread about chance of deportation if application is illegal

the pressure that would of relieved on the system would be massive considering we currently have 14000 homeless

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭suvigirl

There wasn't 4000 deported, does anyone actually read posts or links?

There were 3700 refused entry.

Over 9000 were refused entry in 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭pureza

Its rather ironic that its the Dublin convention that suggested asylum seekers should seek it in the first safe country they arrive in

What right do these economic migrants have to be here,much less now littering the grand canal? None in my opinion

Wheres the war in morocco and Egypt ? We go on holidays thrre for fecks sake

Morocco has a better train service than Ireland

Totally fed up with it

Time to second staff from less important government departments to deal with the expulsion paperwork and I agree with the poll published today,yes we should join with the UK and send them to Rwanda

Migrants crossing half of safe Europe to cross the channel is the greatest con of the modern world

Thats my opinion,it usen't be but it us now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Miharo

I did indeed, you obviously didnt. It clearly says 4000 were returned to where they came the official drpt of Justice press release.

The majority of those "refused entry" in 2022 were still allowed in to the country to claim asylum as you know full well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Up to 70 tents there last night, up 30 on the previous, wonder what the number will be over the next few days?

Your first paragraph is wrong. there is nothing that states people have to claim asylum in the first country they get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Miharo

Will you actually read it please and stop arguing black is white, you're unbelievable.

the Department of Justice says they were removed and returned to where they came from in black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Bit mad that it was absolutely fine to dump AS in any rural backwater they could find and dismiss those complaining as racists but now that the problem is at their own posh front door the tune has changed. Unbelievable that the city centre of all places "doesn't have the facilities" to cater for these people's needs and the people saying this now aren't racist.

• Advertisement

Would you mind expanding on this? According to the 2011 document, 3,700 persons were refused entry and were returned to their country of origin, as I understand it, that is the important information. In 2022, 9,240 persons were refused entry only…

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

Indeed. Are these people going to be future plumbers, nurses etc?

From my daily. experience in work most asylum seekers don't even learn English.

Ukrainians here two years in most cases cannot speak English either.

Speaking English should be made mandatory or benefits cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭ooter

South Georgian Core Residents Association for roysh racists?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

Especially as they are dealing with tiny numbers so far. If parts of Dublin are 50% asylums seekers, like what some rural areas have to deal with, then they can start talking about resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

And ironically we have an Irishman to thank for 'globalisation' in the first place - Peter Sutherland, known as 'the father of globalisation'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Most sensible and sane people just stay away, it's why in a country of 5m or so you'll get a couple thou turning up or a couple hundred on the radical looney left side ….

these things attract nutters from both sides

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Sunjava

I think European leaders need to get dictatorial on this issue. Imagine the idea of promising own door accommodation to every Tom Dic and Harry. All these welfare states offering a gilt edged opportunity to people, no matter who, no matter how different. The most disastrous element of this is the fact that middle class Ireland are having less children, one reason being that they've either no house or have a large mortgage or rent to pay and therefore need to work in order to afford childcare etc...nothing is being down to really improve that situation. What a mess. Any country trying to run itself is completely vilified as right wing by MSM, Poland and Hungary come to mind. Luckily, most other countries are getting the finger out.. hopefully some strong leadership emerges, no signs yet on this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,709 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

600 asylum seekers arrived in the state in last 7 days. No hyperbole to say we are now in an emergency and the government is not taking action. We are overwhelmed.

Refusal of entry, or refusal of ‘leave to land’, while an important legal determination, is rendered effectively irrelevant if a person decides to apply for asylum. A person refused leave to land that applies for asylum enters the asylum system and their claim is processed in the prescribed manner with the various appeals that entails. I’m unsure of the statistics for the entire year 2022, but the Minister of Justice stated that of the 5,662 persons refused leave to land in the year to September 2022, 4,969 or approximately 90% applied for asylum. With that in mind, I’m unsure why you find the 9,240 figure particularly compelling, presumably 90% of those applied for asylum and remained in the State.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

I think one of the reasons we're not doing anything about AS-based inward migration is that comparatively low-skilled immigrants can no longer afford to move to Ireland and take up low-wage jobs due to the high cost of accommodation.

With IPA-based labour, however, with accommodation paid for, these individuals can take up lower-paying jobs, and therefore profits are increased for employers.

The problem though is that resources that may otherwise have gone into solving Ireland's housing crisis are instead being diverted towards profits of both employers seeking to keep wages down and those directly benefitting from supplying accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

"completely vilified as right wing by MSM, Poland and Hungary come to mind."

Steady on there now - have you ever lived in either country? I have. Hungary is practically a dictatorship under Orban who likes to cosy up to Belarus. Poland is politically immature but not as bad by a long chalk. However under PIS it was deteriorating rapidly. Their domestic politics were authoritarian to say the least, not to mention corrupt. Not a subject for discussion here but no example to hold up as an ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

If the tents keep building up in the posh areas there will be hell to pay. Do you remember when they were trying to bring in the bin charges? It was the upper class protesters who really went crazy. They turned into John Rambo!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Sunjava

I have, neither country perfect. Despite that, both countries are thriving considering where they were 30 years ago. Both countries look after it's people's with measures in place for them to flourish. And Orban is Putin's puppet, I know, we're told every day. His country gets most of its gas from Russia as far as I know, likely can't breakdown the relationship but my point is that the two countries I've mentioned don't have the issues that are being discussed here. And yes, they are immediately vilified ass soon as they do anything different to the herd. ..they are sovereign nations, their business, not ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Irish citizens can also claim the dole in the UK.

This link shows that those refused leave to land can claim asylum . '' The IPO does not collate statistics relating to applications for international protection based on whether such applicants were refused leave to land or whether a person had valid documentation upon arrival at a port ''

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2022-11-08/845/

Maybe they did. Do you have accurate figures for that?

If you are refused entry, you are returned to wherever you came from. If course, if you claim asylum, then that changes. Pretty sure everyone is aware of that. And people are entitled to claim asylum, legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

This is a thread started here from 2019. For some reason there’s an issue is going to page one of any boards thread at the minute so I don’t know what the opening post (and page) says. De ja fecking vu

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

It'll only increase.

Its like leaving your bath tap on and letting it overflow. And you put towels around the bath to solve the issue. Then you keep changing the towels when they can't absorb any more water. But you don't turn the tap off.

There is absolutely nothing stopping people setting tents up anywhere. If they're moved, they'll merely set up elsewhere. And it'll continue on and on.

Also, I am of the opinion NGOs have specifically given advice to camp at this new location. Waterways Ireland own the canal paths. The Canals Act 1986, section 30, states tents are forbidden if erected for over a week in the same location. Only then can they be moved. And by Waterways Ireland. Nothing to say then they move to another spot on the canal and stay a week there and so on, if even moved by Waterways Ireland.

"2) Any such structure, tent, caravan or vehicle placed or used on canal property in contravention of this Bye-law may be removed and stored by, or on the authority of, the Commissioners.

(3) This Bye-law shall not apply to persons using canal property for a period of not more than one week at the same place."

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1988/si/247/made/en/print#article30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Advertisement