Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Sunjava

I think European leaders need to get dictatorial on this issue. Imagine the idea of promising own door accommodation to every Tom Dic and Harry. All these welfare states offering a gilt edged opportunity to people, no matter who, no matter how different. The most disastrous element of this is the fact that middle class Ireland are having less children, one reason being that they've either no house or have a large mortgage or rent to pay and therefore need to work in order to afford childcare etc...nothing is being down to really improve that situation. What a mess. Any country trying to run itself is completely vilified as right wing by MSM, Poland and Hungary come to mind. Luckily, most other countries are getting the finger out.. hopefully some strong leadership emerges, no signs yet on this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

600 asylum seekers arrived in the state in last 7 days. No hyperbole to say we are now in an emergency and the government is not taking action. We are overwhelmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

Refusal of entry, or refusal of ‘leave to land’, while an important legal determination, is rendered effectively irrelevant if a person decides to apply for asylum. A person refused leave to land that applies for asylum enters the asylum system and their claim is processed in the prescribed manner with the various appeals that entails. I’m unsure of the statistics for the entire year 2022, but the Minister of Justice stated that of the 5,662 persons refused leave to land in the year to September 2022, 4,969 or approximately 90% applied for asylum. With that in mind, I’m unsure why you find the 9,240 figure particularly compelling, presumably 90% of those applied for asylum and remained in the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Emblematic

I think one of the reasons we're not doing anything about AS-based inward migration is that comparatively low-skilled immigrants can no longer afford to move to Ireland and take up low-wage jobs due to the high cost of accommodation.

With IPA-based labour, however, with accommodation paid for, these individuals can take up lower-paying jobs, and therefore profits are increased for employers.

The problem though is that resources that may otherwise have gone into solving Ireland's housing crisis are instead being diverted towards profits of both employers seeking to keep wages down and those directly benefitting from supplying accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

"completely vilified as right wing by MSM, Poland and Hungary come to mind."

Steady on there now - have you ever lived in either country? I have. Hungary is practically a dictatorship under Orban who likes to cosy up to Belarus. Poland is politically immature but not as bad by a long chalk. However under PIS it was deteriorating rapidly. Their domestic politics were authoritarian to say the least, not to mention corrupt. Not a subject for discussion here but no example to hold up as an ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

If the tents keep building up in the posh areas there will be hell to pay. Do you remember when they were trying to bring in the bin charges? It was the upper class protesters who really went crazy. They turned into John Rambo!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Sunjava

I have, neither country perfect. Despite that, both countries are thriving considering where they were 30 years ago. Both countries look after it's people's with measures in place for them to flourish. And Orban is Putin's puppet, I know, we're told every day. His country gets most of its gas from Russia as far as I know, likely can't breakdown the relationship but my point is that the two countries I've mentioned don't have the issues that are being discussed here. And yes, they are immediately vilified ass soon as they do anything different to the herd. ..they are sovereign nations, their business, not ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Irish citizens can also claim the dole in the UK.

This link shows that those refused leave to land can claim asylum . '' The IPO does not collate statistics relating to applications for international protection based on whether such applicants were refused leave to land or whether a person had valid documentation upon arrival at a port ''

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2022-11-08/845/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Maybe they did. Do you have accurate figures for that?

If you are refused entry, you are returned to wherever you came from. If course, if you claim asylum, then that changes. Pretty sure everyone is aware of that. And people are entitled to claim asylum, legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

This is a thread started here from 2019. For some reason there’s an issue is going to page one of any boards thread at the minute so I don’t know what the opening post (and page) says. De ja fecking vu

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Get Real

It'll only increase.

Its like leaving your bath tap on and letting it overflow. And you put towels around the bath to solve the issue. Then you keep changing the towels when they can't absorb any more water. But you don't turn the tap off.

There is absolutely nothing stopping people setting tents up anywhere. If they're moved, they'll merely set up elsewhere. And it'll continue on and on.

Also, I am of the opinion NGOs have specifically given advice to camp at this new location. Waterways Ireland own the canal paths. The Canals Act 1986, section 30, states tents are forbidden if erected for over a week in the same location. Only then can they be moved. And by Waterways Ireland. Nothing to say then they move to another spot on the canal and stay a week there and so on, if even moved by Waterways Ireland.

"2) Any such structure, tent, caravan or vehicle placed or used on canal property in contravention of this Bye-law may be removed and stored by, or on the authority of, the Commissioners.

(3) This Bye-law shall not apply to persons using canal property for a period of not more than one week at the same place."

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1988/si/247/made/en/print#article30

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I appreciate that but if you are aware that refusal of entry is irrelevant once a person decides to claim asylum, then why would you flaunt the 9,240 figure as though it represented a particularly rigid immigration policy? True, 9,240 people were refused entry in 2022 but that statistic is meaningless when the vast majority of them simply claimed asylum.

Sunday Independent/ Ireland Thinks poll was interesting, if 40% of those polled favour a policy of deterrence as rigid as the Rwanda Plan, then presumably a majority would favour less rigid policies of deterrence as practised in Scandinavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Many low paid occupations don't require much knowledge of English : cleaners, kitchen staff, bin lorry men, food processing, agriculture, car wash, building site labourers etc.

https://demo-demo.nl/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/Borderless_Welfare_State-2.pdf

Borderless Welfare State: The Consequences of Immigration for Public Finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

So why are you trying to compare EU/UK nationals entering Ireland legally with AS entering Ireland illegally?

Theyre non comparable. Apples and oranges.

One group are law abiding citizens. The other group are breaking the law.

Its's only back and forth because you're incapable of admitting you spout biased nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

And then they give the number actually deported that year.

I don't believe the Geneva convention mentions anything about detention.

You can't be prosecuted for illegal entry into a country if claiming AS. But you can certainly be detained until processed. Which is exactly what we should be doing.

The fact anyone can illegally enter the country, claim AS and then go off ontheir merry way is a national scandal.

• Advertisement

Firstly, you don't know that one group are law abiding citizens, that is my point. You know nothing about UK and EU citizens living here. No vetting, thought that was a big issue for posters?

Secondly, how many AS entered Ireland illegally? You cannot call the entire group of AS lawbreakers, when you don't know how they got into the country. Unless you have those figures?

I'm not the biased one here, there are posters complaining about unvetted men, but no issues with unvetted men or women from EU or UK. There are posters complaining about foreigners coming here for our welfare, but no issues with UK citizens being entitled to all welfare, same as Irish. There are posters complaining about men we don't know coming here, but no issues with men from the UK or EU, that we don't know either!

Nope, I'm not the biased one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

You do know about UK and European citizens who live here. Intelligence agencies and police forces with Europe and the UK share information. It's not very hard to find someone who works or lives in ireland.

To imply that you don't know the difference from someone travelling from the middle east with no documents is a bit disingenuous.

I get your point we don't vet EU but I am sure you understand the difference.

Again more deflection. Entering the country illegally is illegal.

So EU/UK citizens entering Ireland = legal law abiding.

AS entering via lorries/NI border and/or destroying documents = illegal breaking the law.

People have no issue with EU/UK because its legal and reciprocal.

I'm bowing out now because you're either deliberately talking pony or you're actually incapable of comprehending simple facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭willyvanilla

As I was saying earlier, this whole thing, the entirety of the bigger picture, is one giant corporate-driven hellscape.

There is no way on this green earth that it "makes sense" to import people from around the globe to do the most basic of jobs in a country practically devoid of basic housing, to name but one constraint. No way, ever, will it make sense. You may as well be hiring a window cleaner from kerry to do a 10 minute job in donegal.

The only benefit of such an incredibly, monumentally stupid idea would be if it were done because the conditions of the job offered by the employer were simply not good enough, survivable enough, to attract people already living in the country.

So in other words, it's cheap imported labour that can only ever result in

A) suppression of employment conditions below that of local necessity,

B) yet another person added to a chronically insufficient infrastructure (as opposed to someone already here, which is net zero)

C) an increase to overall societal cost, a la rent prices going up further, much to the joy of asset holders

It's a right wing, genuinely right wing, idea that operates entirely on exploitation that undermines both irish and migrant alike.

The trotted excuses to bypass these obvious societally disimproving results are an insult to sentient humans, classics like "the locals are too lazy", "the locals see it beneath them".

These type of brass neck policies that have been forced down upon us are legitimately infuriating.

Just look at the results thus far!

As regards vetting at least, EU migrants with previous involvement in crime would generally be flagged on the European Criminal Records System (ECRIS) because their crimes would be committed and recorded in the EU. This is less common in the case of non-EU criminals because their crimes will generally be committed in their country of origin. The State is able to automatically access to EU criminal records, it is unable to automatically access Nigerian criminal records.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Miharo

The 3,700 who were returned from where they came technically weren't deportees. They were returnees as they never entered the state.

The fact remains that 4000 were returned or deported in 2011 versus practically none today.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭boetstark

Stop for god sake , becoming embarrassing at this stage. If you are so hung up on offering these people who have come to ireland without a visa , for a better life. Will you offer them a bed in your house.

I suspect not but yet you expect Mr and thousands of others to fund your Liberal agenda.

To hell with international obligations. Where are irish obligations. Obligations to provide for the electorate that voted for you.

1673 without accommodation and they are still arriving.

I will lay a little bet with you and all the other liberals.

Bon secour have put Barringtons hospital up for sale in Limerick city centre. The logical thing would be for the HSE to purchase it to alleviate the crisis in UHL. I bet within a year it will be full of IPA's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Sorry but have you ever heard of health and safety? All workers on a building site have to do a safe pass course and continuous inductions and tool box talks on site.
    Cleaners - chemicals & manual handling
    Bin Lorry - hazardous waste, manual handling.
    kitchen & Food Processing - I’m sure there’s health & safety

English is essential for safe working environments

Where ... does... the money ...come...from... for all this accommodation.

Massive national debt on a very fragile tax base but spend spend.

Suvigirl I know what I am talking about if anything happens in the US to discourage FDI we won't have money to turn on street lights not to mind housing all these refugees.

• Advertisement

Well some, if your definition is 100 out of 6700 failed applications

Advertisement