Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭eggy81

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭whatever.

Try putting www in with the link 😏

I even did rounded calculations for you🙄. From the oireachtus liink. 30 thousand adylum seekers, projected to cost 1 Billion in 2024 is 33 thousand each x 60 years is 2 Million

If there is a 50% labour participation rate and those who work are revenue neutral then it's a net negative drain of 1 Million Euro per asylum seeker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

building site labourers have to do a health and safety course… no?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

Would you expand on your issues with the research?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭suvigirl

A lot of supposing in your post with nothing to back it up. Now they were all illegally in other countries as well!!!

All so people can call them criminals, and dehumanise and make a 'us v them ' situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

It's published on the lead authors own website.

It's not published by any academic journal or publisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Would the much lower deportation rates now be the result of the ratcheting up of funding to NGO's to make endless appeals to delay deportation, until finally Helen MacEntee, Minister for Justice and mother of the nation, gave them an amnesty a few years back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭eggy81

can you not just answer the question? It’s a pretty simple question without trying to muddy the waters and drag the discussion off topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

This thread including the immigration to Ireland (that was closed) is completely spammed by a handful of posters

- Consistently asking for figures & statics
    - Refusing any linked references
    - Libeling many posters who they disagree with
    - Petty jabs
    - Spamming the thread(s)(mostly immigration topic) non-stop each and every day

A tactic to spam up this thread with nonsensical comments that completely derails any constructive debate around immigration.
    Unsure how the moderation team take to this, but I find some posters on this thread are completely spamming non-stop to get this thread clogged up or to have any real debate closed down, just my opinion!

We're witnessing a full-blown emergency unfold in front of us, many more will arrive without any deterrent.
    Does anyone know why this government isn't taking the necessary steps to create any deterrent?

I've never, ever seen a government so out of touch with the working/middle class.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Yes. People need to bear in mind it's Joe O Brien in there as well as Roderic o gorman dictating accommodation policy for asylum seekers. On top of that you have the Greens at cabinet just vetoing any stronger policy on asylum, which means FF and FG policy basically has to match the Greens, which is farcical given their tiny vote share now.

Green party are not getting nearly enough flak for the situation we in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Yes. Indeed, completely open borders is one of the polices advocated by right-wing libertarianism.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

Non-peer reviewed research isn’t inherently valueless, what was your issue with the report itself? Or is it simply that it is non-peer reviewed?

There may be strategic thinking on the part of some posters. Other's I think are more like the person in the video below who simply can't understand the points being made against them and don't realise they have lost the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Miharo

This is the University of Amstersam study isn't it? Is the University of Amsterdam an illegitimate research body?

The Netherlands has a very similar cost of living index to ourselves but if I was a betting man I would wager we could beat them at costs per AS

• Registered Users Posts: 25,040 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Govt TD going far-right shocker 😮

The Government must be stronger in dealing with makeshift encampments of homeless asylum seekers, a FF TD has said. “What’s happening on Grand Canal dock, and in Mount Street, it’s completely unacceptable to me as a government TD and I think the Government needs to be stronger in dealing with this”
    James O’Connor also called for gardaí to be deployed to check points on the border to deal with a reported increase in migrants entering from NI. “Are we going to leave it (the border) unpoliced and allow further encampments around cities in Ireland and towns in Ireland increase…And I feel that we have now done our bit as a country."

How is it associated with the University of Amsterdam?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Yep. In my previous life I needed a safe pass to work in the site office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

don’t worry as soon as they learn english they will build us 250k houses.

Because it literally says it. Now will you answer my question? Is the University of Amsterdam an illegitimate research body?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭pauly58

Did anyone read the article in The Times this morning, https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/irelands-far-right-activists-face-arrest-under-anti-terror-laws-nvhwvxq3q

Basically, the Irish Government are planning to use anti-terrorism laws to combat far right activists. In other words, anyone who criticizes the position on immigration can be charged. It doesn't need much to see the proposed hate speech law can also be used in this way. What's next, someone reading the posts here & obtaining e mail addresses.

Scary times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭brickster69

Does anyone know why this government isn't taking the necessary steps to create any deterrent?

The answer can only be one of the following

They are totally incompetent

They believe it is or will be beneficial to the country so want it to continue.

They are just following others who want it to continue because they think it is or will be beneficial to everyone

They are just following others without understanding the others are incompetent.

They can't create a deterrent

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Northernlily

It's noticeable that FG have gone very quiet on this. And as for O'Gorman - completly MIA.

I believe the are actually in a state of denial against the reality.

A shanty town in Dublin. Unbelievable. We'll have favelas in the mountains with this incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭fran38

Why isn't the gov employing any deterrents? BECAUSE ITS A F@CK#iING PLAN!!! Why cant ye bozo's get a grasp on this? I've written about how Coveney said we'll hit over a million more people in Ireland by 2030. The reasons are for all to read on other social media platforms.

Also, the gov are not 'out of touch with the people'. They know EXACTLY how the people feel but ars duty bound to follow WEF guidelines on dituting national sovereignty. I'm sick of reading why this why that. Get ye'r heads out of your arses & get informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

For those who think only Ireland is struggling with the asylum seeker question :

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just use the block/ignore list is my solution.

There's no point in trying to discuss or debate in the face of tactics that you describe - no minds will be changed or even opened to other points. Whether it's because of misguided idealism or contrarianism I don't know, but there's no point in getting bogged down or deflected by it.

As you rightly say, this has blown up from a matter of concern at the very start (as shown in this and other threads), to the second most important issue in the country according to today's Sunday Independent poll and the results of that are clear with a sizeable percentage even favouring our own Rwanda solution, and SF making gains via their flip-flop on the issue.

But we have stars like Simon Harris (who is the most Taoiseach by Default we've seen since Cowen), Helen McEntee (who is possibly the worst minister for Justice in the history of the State), Micheal Martin (the man who would be Taoiseach, got it, and handed it to Tony Holohan and NPHET), and of course Eamon Ryan (a deluded ideologue more concerned with damaging our energy independence and building empty cycle lanes above all), so we shouldn't be surprised that one of the most collectively weak and ineffective Governments we've ever had has been equally woeful on this key issue.

As I said the other day, we're now into the damage control/limitation phase of all this. Our country has been irrevocably changed in the past 2 years in particular (but this problem goes back a lot longer than that as other posters have demonstrated too), and the core social contract between the State and its citizens has been damaged by the placing of the needs of any randomer with a sad story ahead of the serious domestic issues and needs of our own people that we've been failing to deal with.

It won't be long until full scale Irish Water style protests reappear on our streets. It's already started, despite the attempts of RTE and others to downplay it or demonise the people with nonsense about the "far right". A handful of idiots and agitators doesn't diminish the genuine concerns and opinions of the majority.

I said several years ago that this would become a key election issue yet. It's not at all "aren't I great!", but if I and others could see it coming, why not the army of politicians, civil servants and advisors whose only job is to watch for these things and to prepare responses.

I suspect they might be trying to add an air of credibility to their reference because one of the 'researchers' works there.

Much like Dolores Cahill worked at UCD.

Do you want to tell the group about Mankind Quarterly and why they might be interested in this 'research' or will I?

In addition to this there is:

• Wokism (for want of a better word). Mainstream politicians are afraid of being called out for being "far-right" or racist or want to be seen as virtuous by their peers. Fear of being called out by international NGOs.
    • Pandering to vested interests who directly and indirectly benefit from large numbers of IPAs.

But for the most part I would agree that it is a misguided belief that the country is benefiting. My belief is that there's an ideology that places GDP growth above all else in the belief that the country as a whole will benefit.

GDP growth is good but must be balanced with other policies. Bringing in large numbers of people to do low-wage jobs does boost GDP but comes at a cost of driving down wages while simultaneously pushing up accommodation costs. There are some who benefit from both of these effects but the country as a whole does not.

Now will you answer my question? Didn't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,200 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

there's something like 3000 migrants sleeping rough in Brussels, Netherlands has similar problems. We're just joining the party now lol. numbers are going to totally explode into europe in the coming years as weather gets worse and resources dwindle and the wars that will be caused from all that.

we don't have an army, a navy, border controls, a totally incompetent police force, what could wrong?

Advertisement