Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Just finished rewatching the game. We were very good defensively in the first half. Northampton made a lot of handling errors, partly down to nerves, but also due to how fast Leinster were off the line. You could see that Northampton were trying to thread their way through the rush with offloading out of contact and with inside passes. But they couldn't handle the pressure Leinster's defence brought.

A negative though is how wasteful Leinster were in attack. I think we had seven entries into the 22 and scored two trys off our first two entries. After that though, we only got 3 points from our next 5 visits. Our ball carrying was generally pretty good. VDF, McCarthy and Doris consistently got over the gain line. Also saw a lot of offloading out of tackles to keep the attacks going.

So it wasn't physicality that let us down near the line. It looked like we weren't comfortable in our attacking patterns. When Leinster tried going further out than the first or second man, near or in the 22, Northampton were comfortable in dealing with it. Maybe that's a symptom of the game plan though. Northampton gave up a lot of metres close to the ruck and most of our attacks were centred there. When we moved the ball wide we didn't do so with enough effort to disguise it and kept failing to convert possession and territory into points.

Post edited by Clegg on

Btw Lowe's third try was excellent and completely atypical of how Leinster usually attack. It had four offloads out of contact, starting with Furlong, to keep the attack flowing and continually put Northampton's defence on the back foot.

Under Lancaster our attack was more focussed on speed at the ruck and a highly drilled pod system. Now our systems don't appear to be as tight, but we've introduced a greater variety to our game by keeping the ball alive and making the opposition defence disorganised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Sounds like some new contracts will be announced throughout the day

• Registered Users Posts: 20,233 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah this really confused me. Northampton got back into the game during that phase of kicking. I couldn't understand why leinster kept kicking when it seemed to advantage the opposition. Leinster were on top with ball in hand.

Maybe there were great reasons to keep kicking, which are above my understanding, but I certainly didn't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OldRio

He told him to leave it first, Lawes ignored him, and then he called play on. Very odd

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Did you think so? I thought it was only ok - very loud at times but there were plenty of quiet periods. Like Leinster I suppose.

I actually enjoyed the lack of drinking in the seats though, it was good not having to get up and down constantly for people going to the bar or the jacks

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

This is the clip I'm talking about. Jenkins enters the ruck perfectly legally. Healey whinged about Leinster side entry, but there are two Northampton players with far dodgier arrivals.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Which bit? Sharks are, or were, having an absolute catastrophe of a season. Bottom of the league below Dragons and Zebre. They're now just one win against Gloucester from winning a trophy, albeit in a different competition, and qualifying for the CC.

Benetton were second and now look like missing out completely on the CC next year (e.g. if Sharks win the Challenge Cup or other results put them out of the top 8)

Leinster were top of the league but still need 3 knockout wins to take the URC title and have a huge battle on their hands to avoid losing a third successive European final.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I thought the atmosphere was hit and miss. At times, it was electric, at others it was fairly quiet for large stretches, and at times the Saints fans sounded like the majority.

As silly as it sounds, one of Leinsters problems is that they don't have a song or a chant like The Fields of Athenry, When the Saints go Marching In, Swing Low etc. for the crowd to get behind and it ends up just yelling Leinster on repeat as the default.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,615 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

ANy guesses on who else will be announced today

Healy maybe? Can see him having at least one more year.

It's two years since connors and RByrne signed deals. Wonder if they might be next

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

Baird sings new contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

TNT Sports showed an interesting stat yesterday on the total number of minutes played this season by each 23. Leinster had about 10.5k and Northampton had about 15.5k. That's club minutes so would be interesting to see it with international matches included. But nearly 50% more is still significant and highlights Leinster's depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Boyle signs a senior contract

Toulouse vs Quins is mental. Both sides are running everything and making so many mistakes. Toulouse especially are conceding so many penalties at the ruck.

Incredibly entertaining, but I don't think Leinster should be so downbeat about their chances of beating either side in the final. Both sides are lethal on the counter, but limit your own mistakes and you take away one of their big weapons.

Agreed. Harlequins have gifted at least two tries to Toulouse who's discipline is shocking.

Delighted that Jack Boyle has signed a new Leinster contract. Of all Leinster's recent academy intake, I think he's the one with the most potential. Great athlete and ball carrier. Hope to see a lot more of him next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭blackcard

The best way to defend a lead is to extend it. Leinster stopped trying to score after 50 minutes, kicked the ball to Northampton and invited them to attack. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Could be a Nienaber thing. Seems to love a close semi final.

Toulouse were patchy today. Scored a few late trys in the first half when Harlequins were rattled and took the game away from them.

But they were poor in the second half. Couldn't keep any possession and when they did they couldn't break the line through phase play. If you limit their chances to attack off counters they aren't as threatening.

Harlequins also had great success at the breakdown and won a lot of penalties. We've seen Leinster counterruck and hunt for turnovers far more aggressively this season, so the ruck is an area we can definitely target.

We don't attack at the same pace as Quins though. The speed at which they play tired that big Toulouse pack and you could see them blowing hard at full time. But if we can keep errors in attack low and our breakdown work accurate we're definitely in with a shot of winning.

Tommy obrien has signed a new contract

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Will he learn to scrummage though? Leinster don't seem to be able to coach their props to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭letsbefair

Are you talking about Porter and Furlong ?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

Is Ross Byrne capable of kicking drop goals? A few of those in the second half would not have gone amiss.

Plenty of occasions where he's shouted for it and he hasn't got the ball. See last year's final where JGP ignored his call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ersatz

I thought RB had a not great game, even putting aside his kicking. But then so much of what Leinster do in attack comes off JGP that the OH’s job is often just to be a linkman to get the ball wide, and then JGP’s passing is so good in the last ten metres that the ten often doesn’t get on the ball at all. It’s noticeable that RBs short passing to the likes of Osborne is telegraphed and is always shut down, so his role in that set up is very unproductive. Seems to me that one of the alternatives is better suited to that game than RB, any player who can bring unpredictability and superior judgement to late passes on the line. RB is a very solid steady player but he just never seems to make a difference when JGP is on the field.

• Advertisement
Advertisement