Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iarnród Éireann ticketing question [Split-ticketing?]

Options
  • 05-05-2024 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've been travelling from Muine Bheag, Co. Carlow to Athlone, Co. Westmeath regularly with Iarnród Éireann.

This is via Kildare. The student ticket costs €9.99 each way. However, Muine Bheag to Kildare is €3.80 and Kildare to Athlone is €4.25. Booking them separately saves €1.95 each time, ~€4 per day for a return. On a regular ticket it's ~€8 saved per return.

I sent an email to Iarnród Éireann customer care and they sent back a generic sounding reply about byelaws. I checked the bylaw in question and to my understanding it's basically saying that booking a ticket, say Heuston to Galway and then getting out at a station sooner eg Athlone for purpose of a cheaper fare is against their bylaws. Obviously same as travelling to a station past where the ticket is valid.

I'm doing neither. Kildare is my changeover point no matter what and it's the same seats booked, same exact trains, same times etc.

Anyone know why this is? Has it always been a thing? I don't want to get myself into trouble but at the same time I can't see why I would, I have a valid ticket for every part of my journey.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Its totally fine

However if you miss your connection you are stuck if you split the tickets

If you are on a end to end ticket if the connection is missed, you are entitled to take the next train at no extra cost and likely can claim compensation for delay

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭feargantae

Thanks for responding. It's after happening many times that i've missed the connection as sometimes it's as tight as 10 minutes between trains. I've never had any problem travelling on the next service. A ticket inspector even bluntly said that once it's valid for the day it's fine, officially tickets are only valid for the time booked but it's not enforced.

Now maybe it'd be a different scéal if you'd booked 9am and travelled on the 6pm or something, or if you got a right cúnt on a power trip

Advertisement